Why Hasn't Romero's A Level Wrestling Translated Into MMA?

Hendo was similar, as in he stopped using his Olympic level wrestling in favor of removing his opponents from consciousness...
giphy.gif

This. Not every wrestler's approach to adaptation is the same. Wrestlers gifted with crazy explosive knockout power like Yoel, hendo and Woodley tend to want to use their wrestling primarily to remain upright and set up the knockout strikes only preferring to score the takedowns intermittently for points and positioning. They'll use the takedowns and do damage from up top when needed against lesser wrestlers but when faced with opponents with good takedown defense, they'd rather use the threat of their elite wrestling to throw their opponent off long enough to land the bomb.

We mostly know Romero as an explosive fighter with crazy power. So It's easy to forget that's he's a silver medalist in the olympics

I find it bit surprising that he rarely utilizes his wrestling in fights and mainly just uses it as a plan C when everything else fails.

You'd expect his wrestling game to be a huge threat considering he made a career out of it, yet he hasn't hasn't had that much success using it.

Maybe he discovered he was just gifted at knocking out opponents... Or maybe his wrestling didn't transition that well into MMA
What are y'all thoughts?

Do you even watch his fights at all? LOL!

Machida was one of the hardest fighters to take down, and look what he did to Machida:
OptimisticCooperativeAmmonite-size_restricted.gif

Look what Romero did to Weidman - one of the best wrestlers at MW when he was beating everybody:
T2YpkI0.gif

Look what Romero did to Whittaker, who has some of the best takedown defenses at MW:
Romero-dictating-where-the-fight-takes-place.gif

Do you even watch his fights at all? LOL!

Machida was one of the hardest fighters to take down, and look what he did to Machida:
OptimisticCooperativeAmmonite-size_restricted.gif

Look what Romero did to Weidman - one of the best wrestlers at MW when he was beating everybody:
T2YpkI0.gif

Look what Romero did to Whittaker, who has some of the best takedown defenses at MW:
Romero-dictating-where-the-fight-takes-place.gif

I think @Sansnom is pointing out that wrestling is rarely the main game plan for Romero. He's not saying Romero has never taken someone down in a fight. If you compare his takedown average per fight with most other high-level wrestlers, I think you'll find that Romero's average is lower.

Because he would gas too fast.

His wrestling is insane but his fast twitch muscles can be his downfall and he knows it.

We mostly know Romero as an explosive fighter with crazy power. So It's easy to forget that's he's a silver medalist in the olympics

I find it bit surprising that he rarely utilizes his wrestling in fights and mainly just uses it as a plan C when everything else fails.

You'd expect his wrestling game to be a huge threat considering he made a career out of it, yet he hasn't hasn't had that much success using it.

Maybe he discovered he was just gifted at knocking out opponents... Or maybe his wrestling didn't transition that well into MMA
What are y'all thoughts?
Better question. Why wouldn’t GSP defend his MW belt against Romero?

Becasue wrestling in your 40s is a lot harder than wrestling in your 20s.

Above question is for you too.

Because he was diagnosed with colitis and is now walking around 180 pounds because he has to do intermittent fasting to neglect the symptom? What weight is Romero in the cage? 210 pounds if i remember correctly?

Someone mentioned in the past that once a long time wrestler finds out they have KO power, that they favor that over the wrestling.

Maybe he's afraid of gassing?

Reminds me of Aldo and leg kicks. Huge strength that goes unused.

I think @Sansnom is pointing out that wrestling is rarely the main game plan for Romero. He's not saying Romero has never taken someone down in a fight. If you compare his takedown average per fight with most other high-level wrestlers, I think you'll find that Romero's average is lower.
Exactly, thanks

It boils down to gas tank. Wrestling requires a lot of energy to take down and control on the ground. Romero saves energy until he explodes for that KO shot because he can't keep that pace up.

Hendo was similar, as in he stopped using his Olympic level wrestling in favor of removing his opponents from consciousness...
giphy.gif

Every time this gif is posted in any context, I always watch it at least a half dozen times.

He didn't forget how to wrestle, did you guys watch him man handle Weidman, a top level wrestler? Romero just fell in love with his hands. It's far easier to knock some one out, than it is to wrestle them and keep them down. He is choosing the easier path, it's human nature.

That Olympic shit don’t mean dick

American Folkstyle is the only thing that matters. You got b-level folkstyle guys that’ll kick the shit out of a Greco or freestyle guy in a real fight

Henderson was a terrible mma wrestler too. That greco freestyle whatever crap is a joke

It’s because just because you are an amazing wrestler it doesn’t mean your wrestling will work well in MMA. How many high level wrestlers have we seen getting dominated by MMA wrestlers? It happens often. That doesn’t mean that it’s a useless skill because it’s obviously not, but assuming they’d dominate in MMA is a bit ridiculous.

Back