Why Hasn't Romero's A Level Wrestling Translated Into MMA?

Wrestling starts from a crouch, MMA doesn't. Also, when you're wrestling, you know your opponent's objective is to shoot, so you can have a lot of success simply defending takedowns and winning the ensuing scrambles. You just can't do that in MMA. You have to have either (a) an aggressive wrestling or striking style or (b) an effective counterstriking game.

Would you forget how to ride a bike after 7 years?
you wouldn't forget how to ride a bike so to speak.You would not be as good as you used to be. not as fast, agile on a trail,etc..

And mike tyson could still knock my ass out. he still knows how to throw a punch.

Point is, if you're theory is true, then fighters need not to enter camps and train....am I right?

Last edited:
you wouldn't forget how to ride a bike so to speak.You would not be as good as you used to be. not as fast, agile on a trailer,etc..
So you think he suddenly stopped training wrestling just because he's not competing in the olympics?

So you think he just stopped training wrestling just because he's not competing in the olympics?
No not entirely. Just saying i think he prob trains less at it compared to his older self.

yoel romero vs lyoto machida
•Dec 3, 2018

Trendy

431 subscribers

Romero was highly effective against Machida. Machida's MMA-karate was impotent versus the size, strength & Folkstyle? wrestling by Romero.

<23>Can't point fight a Mack Truck.

Cause mma wrestling is a different game, greco roman guys usually are better at mma actually and that comes to the posture
Last Greco Olympian I have seen do good in MMA is fucking Randy Couture. In Freestyle I am currently seeing DC and Henry Cejudo. GTFO.

So you think he just stopped training wrestling just because he's not competing in the olympics?

I doubt that. Yoel Romero had trained for and competed in a wrestling competition in Germany in 2007 when he decide not to get back on the place and defect from Cuba.

He almost immediately started training in MMA. He couldn't have taken more than a couple months off of training. He went pro in 2009.

It's the style of wrestling he competed (freestyle wrestling) in emphasized strength and explosive power as oppose to outright controlling your opponent like in Folk style Wrestling.

Here's a video of Romero doing freestyle wrestling. Nothing but explosions

Here's a video of folk style wrestlers always vying for control

This is the answer (don't be surprised to see it ignored by Sherbros that aren't actually interested in the nuances of the sport.)

See the way the guys just flatten out and try to stall in the highlight video above, vs how they try to reverse or escape in the video below? That's the answer. Freestyle wrestling is an inferior base for MMA to Folkstyle, or Greco.

Wrestling starts from a crouch, MMA doesn't. Also, when you're wrestling, you know your opponent's objective is to shoot, so you can have a lot of success simply defending takedowns and winning the ensuing scrambles. You just can't do that in MMA. You have to have either (a) an aggressive wrestling or striking style or (b) an effective counterstriking game.
Wrestling starts with both guys on the feet, there are a lot more ways to get a takedown than a shot, and Yoel has an excellent offensive takedown game.
Last Greco Olympian I have seen do good in MMA is fucking Randy Couture. In Freestyle I am currently seeing DC and Henry Cejudo. GTFO.
Cejudo and DC spent their whole lives doing Folkstyle before transitioning to Freestyle for the sake of the Olympics. When DC practices and coaches wrestling, he's doing Folkstyle. All American wrestlers that compete in the Olympics come from Folkstyle.

Last edited:
When he's chosen to use it, he does some insane shit to people. He just doesn't sit on top of them, because he doesn't want to. It's not his style.

romero used to read alot of sherdog before joining the ufc after strike force and he kept on reading how fans hated wrestlers so he just became predominately a striker.

I doubt that. Yoel Romero had trained for and competed in a wrestling competition in Germany in 2007 when he decide not to get back on the place and defect from Cuba.

He almost immediately started training in MMA. He couldn't have taken more than a couple months off of training. He went pro in 2009.
I was being sarcastic.

Obviously he didn't stop training wrestling or lose his wrestling abilities when he started MMA.

This is the answer (don't be surprised to see it ignored by Sherbros that aren't actually interested in the nuances of the sport.)

See the way the guys just flatten out and try to stall in the highlight video above, vs how they try to reverse or escape in the video below? That's the answer. Freestyle wrestling is an inferior base for MMA to Folkstyle, or Greco.

Thanks. Someone who actually cares instead of just making stuff up. It is a real pet peeve of mine how people see WRESTLING and think it's all the same. There are many different styles. Just because someone is good at one style doesn't mean they'll be awesome in MMA wrestling.

Back