Why Hasn't Romero's A Level Wrestling Translated Into MMA?

Sansnom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We mostly know Romero as an explosive fighter with crazy power. So It's easy to forget that's he's a silver medalist in the olympics

I find it bit surprising that he rarely utilizes his wrestling in fights and mainly just uses it as a plan C when everything else fails.

You'd expect his wrestling game to be a huge threat considering he made a career out of it, yet he hasn't hasn't had that much success using it.

Maybe he discovered he was just gifted at knocking out opponents... Or maybe his wrestling didn't transition that well into MMA
What are y'all thoughts?

His takedowns are nasty but he can't hold people down for very long.
Also he out wrestled TEH CHRIS so it is good.

Because he has one shot KOs with like three different limbs.

He's an old man. Wrestlings hard on the body. Easier to knoggem out

Hendo was similar, as in he stopped using his Olympic level wrestling in favor of removing his opponents from consciousness...
giphy.gif

He has the ability to pull out KOs from nowhere, so he probably prefers that instead of constantly grinding. Wrestling matches are much shorter than a mma match, so it's harder for certain wrestlers to implement that type of gameplan. That being said I won't think we should be complaining that he isn't Ftiching ppl to death.

It's kind of crazy when you think about someone like GSP who started with a karate backround, no wrestling credentials whatsoever but turned out to be one of the greatest MMA wrestlers of all time.

And you got an olympian, career wrestler who barely uses wrestling at all. And hasn't really looked that impressive using it.

I’d assume it’s because it’s too physically draining and he has too many other weapons.

Why go Job Fitch when you can highlight reel fools and be a fan favorite? His wrestling enables him to fight however he wants to and dictate where he wants it to go. Just because he doesn’t wall and stall or lay and pray doesn’t mean it doesn’t benefit him.

He also seems to have trouble keeping guys down which probably factors into it. If he had great tip control, I’m sure he’d work his GNP more but he doesn’t so he fights how he does instead.

My thoughts are that this guy was in the Olympics 20 fucking years ago when even I was an athlete. And he's still one of the best in the world. It's unbelievable. I'm not even a fan, just a guy who looks at Romero like "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"

We mostly know Romero as an explosive fighter with crazy power. So It's easy to forget that's he's a silver medalist in the olympics

I find it bit surprising that he rarely utilizes his wrestling in fights and mainly just uses it as a plan C when everything else fails.

You'd expect his wrestling game to be a huge threat considering he made a career out of it, yet he hasn't hasn't had that much success using it.

Maybe he discovered he was just gifted at knocking out opponents... Or maybe his wrestling didn't transition that well into MMA
What are y'all thoughts?
idk maybe he lost some of his wrestling skills due to not using it for 7 years?

It's the style of wrestling he competed (freestyle wrestling) in emphasized strength and explosive power as oppose to outright controlling your opponent like in Folk style Wrestling.

Here's a video of Romero doing freestyle wrestling. Nothing but explosions

Here's a video of folk style wrestlers always vying for control

Last edited:
> He won the silver medal in 2000, its 2020

> He’s in his 40’s and wrestling is physically exhausting

It's the style of wrestling he competed (freestyle wrestling) in emphasized strength and explosive power as oppose to outright controlling your opponent like in Folk style Wrestling.

Here's a video of Romero doing free wrestling. Nothing but explosions

Here's a video of folk style wrestlers always vying for control

<TheWire1>

Interesting. Never looked into it.

Seeing that kind of explains how his style has transitioned to what it is now in MMA. Lots of similarities.

Cause mma wrestling is a different game, greco roman guys usually are better at mma actually and that comes to the posture

It's kind of crazy when you think about someone like GSP who started with a karate backround, no wrestling credentials whatsoever but turned out to be one of the greatest MMA wrestlers of all time.

And you got an olympian, career wrestler who barely uses wrestling at all. And hasn't really looked that impressive using it.
I'd guess it's the ole MMA saw that the take down threat stifles the striking & vice versa. Plus there are techniques in MMA grappling forcing submissions (locks & chokes) while wrestling is solely pins.<20>

The GNP game is highly effective. Wrestling doesn't account for that. Headaches from being smacked prolly altered his outlook on wrestling alone.[<dunn]

Back