Why Gegard Mousasi is the best striker in the MW and LHW divisions

It's not just a chin that's his problem, he has no defence. He's a case of all the offensive tools in the world but forgot about defence, poor cardio and has no chin. Not a good combination for winning fights. So he will never be the best striker in the world even if he's a threat to anyone he fights.

Yes, he is fundamentally one of the best but he is slow. I think Machida would take him apart.

I don't think Mousasi would let it go that far( vs.machida and IF he was getting the better of him)...Like Shogun, Gegard has the chin to absorb offense vs. Lyoto and move forward and either catch him or get him to the ground.Mousasi worlds more technical than Rua also.I actually like this matchup for Mousasi.He also not giving up size at 185 or lhw vs. Lyoto.

Mousasi really needs to fucking fight. All you hear are people say how good or bad he is and the man still has yet to face top competition like Machida, Shogun, Evans, Gustafsson, Davis or even in the MW division like Jacare rematch, Belfort, Bisping, or even fucking Munoz

Mousasi really needs to fucking fight. All you hear are people say how good or bad he is and the man still has yet to face top competition like Machida, Shogun, Evans, Gustafsson, Davis or even in the MW division like Jacare rematch, Belfort, Bisping, or even fucking Munoz

How many times does he have to call out Belfort before he'll take the fight? If he's such an easy fight for Belfort he should have taken it.

Gegard has pretty much been begging for a fight for well over a month. Dana and Silva should give him anyone, he's back to training.

How many times does he have to call out Belfort before he'll take the fight? If he's such an easy fight for Belfort he should have taken it.

Belfort is high up in the rankings and has nothing to gain by that fight. A guy that is injured shouldn't be calling anyone out.

Belfort is high up in the rankings and has nothing to gain by that fight. A guy that is injured shouldn't be calling anyone out.

Vitor was screaming and yelling that he would fight anyone at any weight. And when he was calling him out he was a week or two away from being able to train. He is training 100% now.

Fighters like Vitor should either stick to their word or STFU. Claiming you will fight anyone at any weight and then saying "Nah he hasn't done enough" is a bitch move.

No, the best MW/LHW striker would have finished Latifi, OSP and Jardine. Plenty of guys in the UFC already have finished Jardine.

I don't care about HL videos or what he did in K-1. In MMA, there are definitely MW/LHWs who have KO'd/TKO'd more quality opponents than Mousasi has. Anderson, Belfort, Machida, Shogun and others all come to mind. Maybe Mousasi can prove himself now that he's in the UFC, but he has some work to do.

No, the best MW/LHW striker would have finished Latifi, OSP and Jardine. Plenty of guys in the UFC already have finished Jardine.

I don't care about HL videos or what he did in K-1. In MMA, there are definitely MW/LHWs who have KO'd/TKO'd more quality opponents than Mousasi has. Anderson, Belfort, Machida, Shogun and others all come to mind. Maybe Mousasi can prove himself now that he's in the UFC, but he has some work to do.

What has Shogun done lately? 2 years ago he finished Forrest? a year ago he finished Vera. You have to go back 3 years for him to KO someone better than the guys Mousasi have been beating.

Finishing Bader and Randy doesn't do much for Machida. You've got to go back to 2009 to bring up him finishing anyone worth a damn.

Silva, cant argue with him.

Belfort, well he is a roided freak who keeps ducking Gegard.

People say he Jardine would have been finished by the guys in the UFC...he had what 13 or 14 fights in the UFC and was finished a total of 4 times? OSP has been finished ONCE in 19 fights.

Gegard has 29 finishes in 34 fights. He plays it safe against an unknown fighter, and embarrasses Jardine for 2 rounds and you seem to forget the rest of his career.

Hate all you want, but he's back to training and he'll be fighting this spring. Not that it'll matter, no matter who he beats Sherdog will find a way to discredit him.

No different than with Rory.

What has Shogun done lately? 2 years ago he finished Forrest? a year ago he finished Vera. You have to go back 3 years for him to KO someone better than the guys Mousasi have been beating.

Finishing Bader and Randy doesn't do much for Machida. You've got to go back to 2009 to bring up him finishing anyone worth a damn.

Silva, cant argue with him.

Belfort, well he is a roided freak who keeps ducking Gegard.

I'm talking about what they've done historically in MMA:

Anderson: Finished Belfort, prime FranklinX2, many, many others with his striking

Machida: The only man who has ever finished Rashad Evans. The only man who ever finished Thiago Silva. Both done with precision striking.

Shogun: Finished Rampage, Machida, and others. I agree, he's not a top striker any more.

Belfort: Recently finished Bisping and Rockhold. He's finished many others in the past.

Mousasi: Finished Jacare with striking (but not on his feet). Who else has he finished with his fists besides Goodridge and a bunch of cans?

Best Striker maybe..Best striker that doesn't fight anyone- For sure

People say he Jardine would have been finished by the guys in the UFC...he had what 13 or 14 fights in the UFC and was finished a total of 4 times? OSP has been finished ONCE in 19 fights.

Gegard has 29 finishes in 34 fights. He plays it safe against an unknown fighter, and embarrasses Jardine for 2 rounds and you seem to forget the rest of his career.

Hate all you want, but he's back to training and he'll be fighting this spring. Not that it'll matter, no matter who he beats Sherdog will find a way to discredit him.

No different than with Rory.

Jardine was finished by Houston Alexander, Wand, Thiago and Bader. His chin was totally shot by the time he left the UFC and he fought Mousasi. Did you see what Rockhold did to him?

Remind me again of OSP's opponents? What elite strikers has he faced?

I agree that Mousasi is a good technical striker, but he's definitely not a walking KO machine like some of his fans think.

I'm talking about what they've done historically in MMA:

Anderson: Finished Belfort, prime FranklinX2, many, many others with his striking

Machida: The only man who has ever finished Rashad Evans. The only man who ever finished Thiago Silva. Both done with precision striking.

Shogun: Finished Rampage, Machida, and others. I agree, he's not a top striker any more.

Belfort: Recently finished Bisping and Rockhold. He's finished many others in the past.

Mousasi: Finished Jacare with striking (but not on his feet). Who else has he finished with his fists besides Goodridge and a bunch of cans?

I didn't realize this thread was "Gegard is historically the best striker at MW and LHW"

Is he the best ever, or even the best now? No. But the way people completely dismiss him is a fucking joke. But lets keep talking about what Shogun and Machida did years ago when they could still string together 2 wins.

And Anderson had nothing for a someone with 9 fights and got brutally KTFO.

Belfort is really the only one you listed that has looked impressive recently. And looks like the only one that will keep it going, thanks to his super juice.

Jardine was finished by Houston Alexander, Wand, Thiago and Bader. His chin was totally shot by the time he left the UFC and he fought Mousasi. Did you see what Rockhold did to him?

Remind me again of OSP's opponents? What elite strikers has he faced?

I agree that Mousasi is a good technical striker, but he's definitely not a walking KO machine like some of his fans think.

And yet Chuck and Rampage couldn't find a way to finish him. Weird how that happens right?

You can discredit anyone and their opponents. Stop looking at his wikipedia page and watch the actual fights.

He picks apart his opponents, takes little to no damage, and looks bored while doing it.

And yet Chuck and Rampage couldn't find a way to finish him. Weird how that happens right?

You can discredit anyone and their opponents. Stop looking at his wikipedia page and watch the actual fights.

He picks apart his opponents, takes little to no damage, and looks bored while doing it.

Kang was lighting him up before effortlessly taking him down.

Kang was lighting him up before effortlessly taking him down.

So in almost 40 fights you can find one that success standing with him? And that was 6 years ago, lets see Kang take him down today.

Wait a minute, Kang only landed 4 strikes in the fight lol. "lighting him up" eh? He hits him with a left and a couple grazing punches from a wild combo. Sorry man, but Gegard had more success striking off his back with knees and up kicks than Kang had while spending 2.5 min on top of Gegard. Lighting him up? No.

Last edited:
Hasn't beaten a top ten fighter in any division. I'm not saying he's not a top striker, but I'm not buying any claims until he fights better competition.

Talk about the pot and kettle!

Machida not stringing together two wins?....Let's see Mousasi try that against the likes of Jones, Davis, etc. Machida can easily "take little to no damage and look bored" if you give him opponents like Latifi, Hiroshi Izumi or a recent version of Jardine. In fact, he's finished much better opponents and taken little to no damage. Try watching some fights yourself. You're the one who needs to skip Wikipedia and consider how good a fighter's opposition is. Any decent LHW would look great against Mousasi's last 6 or 7 opponents.

Back