Why Gegard Mousasi is the best striker in the MW and LHW divisions

Silva played around with Maia the entire fight. Anyone with an IQ > 60 knows he could've finished in the 1st.

38-year old Liddell was far from his prime when he fought Jardine.

Rampage hasn't KO'd anyone since 2008. But that's not the point here.

Those examples do nothing for your case. There's zero evidence that Mousasi is the best striker at MW/LHW. Unless/until he proves it against top LHWs, these kinds of threads are an embarrassment.

I'm not even arguing with you here. I'm just pointing out your hipocrisy.
That's only an opinion that silva could stop Maia. Even Silva said its ridiculous and that it's his style. He also wasn't playing around with Weidman when he got his clock cleaned.

Age has little to do with Prime. randy was in his prime at 42.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah whatever that shit gets old especially when you guys like to label Barnett, Cormier, Melendez, Thomson and among many more former Strikeforce fighters for not fighting Top 10 or ranked opponents.

Ranking is just a number get over it anybody can beat anyone on any given day. You guys like to talked the crap about said guys for fighting nobodies but then when they debuted into the UFC and start killing off Dana's stars you guys then shut the fuck and look stupid.

I see it all the time it gets old.

What the hell are you talking about?

Silva fan's logic in this thread:

LOL MOUSASI DIDN'T MATRIX DODGE GRIFFIN'S PUNCHES SO HE'S NOT THAT GOOD.

Vitor Belfort is the only talented striker Silva has finished. Mousasi has a very impressive K-1 resume so yes, we can assume Mousasi is the better striker until Silva can prove otherwise against other good strikers. And no, Maia, Leben, Griffin, Bonnar, etc certainly do not count as good strikers.

The problem with these threads is that there truly is no evidence of his striking acumen in MMA. He tends to push forward against good strikers, using his great defense to avoid damage so that he can take 'em down and submit 'em.

Is he the best pure striker involved in MMA? Sure, I think he has an argument, but in terms of mixed martial arts competition, we can't be sure that his striking carries over all that well, because we haven't seen him against top competition.

He dropped Mark Hunt with a right hand. Enough said.

Okay, that had never happened though.

He had clipped Hunt with right hand, using it to set up leg trip.

Beautiful MMA, enough said, but not dropping Hunto.

Sadly it doesn't seem that there are any gifs and different angles out there.

fantastic video, i want machida vs moooose! or mousasi vs the spider if weidman beats him again

The problem with these threads is that there truly is no evidence of his striking acumen in MMA. He tends to push forward against good strikers, using his great defense to avoid damage so that he can take 'em down and submit 'em.

Is he the best pure striker involved in MMA? Sure, I think he has an argument, but in terms of mixed martial arts competition, we can't be sure that his striking carries over all that well, because we haven't seen him against top competition.

Good point. The whole K1 striking = MMA striking myth should have died long ago, even before Overeem completely disproved it, but unfortunately it hasn't.

Jones' striking has so much room to evolve.. he's very good, he's very fast and athletic overall, but he's not that good of a striker yet, he's not on the top of this pyramid. There are better strikers out there, but that's just my opinion.

In MMA, who exactly? He's fought and outstruck them all apart from Gus and Machida. And he didn't exactly get embarrassed by either of them.

And for me Mousassi is unproven as an MMA striker, he struck well in K1. Well now he has to do it in MMA and we haven't seen it yet. Overeem was K1 champion but he's been badly outstruck in the UFC.

Gegards stricking prowess is like the Sasquatch. I have seen glimpses of it before but would like some real evidence. James Toney was probably the best striker in his weight class when he was in the UFC , didn't mean to much.

Back