Why don't heavy hitters like Ngannou, Rumble and Khaos go to boxing

Tyson fought at least a few guys 6’4” or 6’5” like Tony Tucker or Carl Williams and they all hit harder when it comes to outclassed opponents.

You want to see a brutal KO? Put a top ranked heavyweight against an inept journeyman and watch how quick they turn out their lights. They’re fighting at such a higher skill level, they’re able to load up on bombs and turn them flush with pinpoint accuracy.
Agree with your comment about the skill level difference. Tony Tucker was 221 for his fight against Tyson and rocked Tyson with an uppercut in the first round. He completely shut down Tyson and came into the fight with an injured hand from sparring which he fully broke in the fourth round of that fight. Carl Williams was 218 for his fight against Tyson, and that fight was stopped prematurely, although the result was likely inevitable.

My point is that neither Tucker or Williams where considered the aggressor or heavier puncher than Tyson. Although they were the same height as Ngannou, they weighed roughly 40 pounds of lean muscle less. It would have been interesting to see Tyson vs a tall fighter with the lean mass and puncing power of Ngannou. Tyson was very hittable, due to his size and reach, and his dismissal of his opponents power

Is that how you have a discussion. Why am I wrong? Not even discussing boxing skill, just power and size alone, Ngannou is a different animal than anyone Tyson fought

Are you pretending to discuss Ngannou would beat prime Tyson. You're out of your mind. Get another hobby

You guys are kidding yourself if you think Ngannou would struggle at boxing. Take a look at the records of the opponents that Deontay Wilder and Mike Tyson beat. Ngannou would smoke the majority of heavyweight boxers. The very top guys could be another story no question, but there just isn't a lot of competition globally in heavyweight boxing

Ngannou would get starched by any top 50 HWs. You’re freaking delusional and clearly don’t know anything about boxing.

The fact you even insinuate he would beat a prime Tyson is a colossal joke.

Are you pretending to discuss Ngannou would beat prime Tyson. You're out of your mind. Get another hobby
You didn't answer my question and I never proposed that Ngannou would beat a prime Tyson in a boxing match.

Ngannou would get starched by any top 50 HWs. You’re freaking delusional and clearly don’t know anything about boxing.

I did not insinuate he would beat prime Tyson and why would that be a joke anyway? Don't act as if Ngannou is a basketball star that i'm promoting to beat boxers dude, he's been boxing and making a living with his fists for a long time now. He knows how to punch, is 6'4 and a lean 260 with a granite chin.

In my previous posts I mentioned how inflated boxers records are and how little competition the heavyweight division employs. Take any top 20 heavyweight boxer, get a boxrec account, and look at their opponents records. You will be shocked

Agree with your comment about the skill level difference. Tony Tucker was 221 for his fight against Tyson and rocked Tyson with an uppercut in the first round. He completely shut down Tyson and came into the fight with an injured hand from sparring which he fully broke in the fourth round of that fight. Carl Williams was 218 for his fight against Tyson, and that fight was stopped prematurely, although the result was likely inevitable.

My point is that neither Tucker or Williams where considered the aggressor or heavier puncher than Tyson. Although they were the same height as Ngannou, they weighed roughly 40 pounds of lean muscle less. It would have been interesting to see Tyson vs a tall fighter with the lean mass and puncing power of Ngannou. Tyson was very hittable, due to his size and reach, and his dismissal of his opponents power

Holy good God, did you even see those fights, or were you wearing rose colored glasses? Stop making silly excuses.

Jesus, Williams was KO’ed in the first round by a single punch and you’re arguing about it being prematurely stopped.

Get off boxrec and start watching some fights.

Are you serious? Top 10, ok. Top 50 though? Have you actually looked at the top 100 boxing rankings? They're awful.

Holy good God, did you even see those fights, or were you wearing rose colored glasses? Stop making silly excuses.

Jesus, Williams was KO’ed in the first round by a single punch and you’re arguing about it being prematurely stopped.

Get off boxrec and start watching some fights.
Haha please. That fight was clearly stopped WAY too soon. You would be in the vast minority to think otherwise. I have seen all of Tysons fights numerous times. Also, you agree with my assessment of the Tucker fight?

instead of UFC, you think with their insane punching power they could try boxing and get more money

They're also strong enough to hit home runs every time they hit a baseball. So why don't they go into baseball, and make way more money than they could make in boxing? The answer is the same, the power doesn't do much if you can't hit the target. And in boxing, like baseball, your opponent makes it very hard to land a full powered hit.

If Ngannou thought he could make more money in boxing than in MMA he'd most likely instantly switch, given how he prefers striking (and actually punching) to grappling.

Name someone bigger and harder hitting than Ngannou that Tyson fought? I have adhd hyperfocus and spent months looking up Tyson's opponents and was shocked by what I found it.
Do you honestly think Ngannou has the gas tank to make it beyond the third round?

Because the skill level in the stand up is significantly higher in boxing to the point where simply having power means close to nothing.

Deontay Wilder?

Big punchers in mma are mediocre in boxing, didn’t you learn from the Conor fight?

Anyone can be KO’d with small mma gloves.

Also it’s way way more difficult to join the elite in boxing, there’s world championship contenders like gaethje who clearly don’t train much BJJ, if any at all.

Bad comparison. Conor fought Mayweather, one of the best ever. A few years prior he even made a young Canelo look bad.

Bad comparison. Conor fought Mayweather, one of the best ever. A few years prior he even made a young Canelo look bad.
The reality is, when you consider the comical size difference in the May vs Mac fight what I said makes sense.

Then you add in that Conor did land clean on a few occasions, with nothing but a laugh and smirk from 40 year old 30lb lighter Floyd the theory stands up. If Conor had to fight any top tier boxer he would get absolutely thrashed, out weighing floyd by 30lbs was the only thing that dragged that beating out.

Put Conor against a real top 20 super middleweight and Conor would get hurt very badly.
UnripeHoarseAmphiuma-small.gif

Floyd wasn't the #1 PFP boxer at that point, he was coming off of 2 years of retirement and was 40! Mayweather fought Canelo in 2013!

all of those have terrible defense . they’d get killed easily by any pro in the top 15

all of those have terrible defense . they’d get killed easily by any pro in the top 15

That's not saying much. That's saying a total newbie at boxing from mma could be top 16

Do you honestly think Ngannou has the gas tank to make it beyond the third round?
Yes why not? That's only 9 minutes, Ngannou went 25 minutes with Miocic being grappled and held down. Ngannou is a fighter and is comfortable being hit, and I imagine he works his cardio all the time.

Not that he wouldn't need to acclimatize himself for the potential of a 12 round fight ( the most Tyson was scheduled for). I also think Ngannou carries his weight exceptionally. In that Miocic fight he was 263. He's been weighing around 255 since, and of course is shredded.

Reactions: Po
Now that they all have a bit of fame behind them, they could go the boxing route and be protected long enough to make some decent money, but it wouldn't last long and they really aren't famous enough to make the type of money Kimbo was pulling after his UFC run was over.

Ngannou would have a better shot in boxing than the others cause it's HW. The lower you got down to 135 to 175 the tougher it is cause those guys have legit boxing skills. HW's in boxing much like in mma have less movement and boxing ability, power plays a bigger role and that's why Ngannou has a better shot than the rest.

Yes why not? That's only 9 minutes, Ngannou went 25 minutes with Miocic being grappled and held down. Ngannou is a fighter and is comfortable being hit, and I imagine he works his cardio all the time.

Not that he wouldn't need to acclimatize himself for the potential of a 12 round fight ( the most Tyson was scheduled for). I also think Ngannou carries his weight exceptionally. In that Miocic fight he was 263. He's been weighing around 255 since, and of course is shredded.
Yes but cardio is one of the hardest things an athlete or a fighter can improve on. I saw Ngannou slowing down after the first three minutes of that fight against Miocic. He slowed down significantly going into the second round. I'm not sure losing 10 pounds of muscle will add ten minutes to his gas tank. Also, he's just not a skilled boxer unless he's punching air for his instagram followers.

Back