Why doesn't Wilder have the same fanworship as Mike Tyson?

Wrong. Most guys who don't anything about fighting knows Tyson due to the ear bite thing. same people don't know Ali.
What planet are you from?

Team Wilder already planted the seeds by carefully selecting easier opponents from the start of his reign as champion .

Imagine Tyson’s manager Cayton grabbing the mic and telling everyone he’s not ready for Holyfield he’s prospect if he had been in the heavyweight division in 1986 and was the other champion ? A different view would be made ,not the invincible Tyson who cleaned out the 80”s era ,barring Buster .

Really it boils down to how they came up , Tyson went on a mission and became undisputed while dominating everyone , Wilder is stuck in the WBC because that’s where his team wants him and he gets out boxed a lot,he doesn’t have that Invincibility aura around him that Tyson once had so he looks more vulnerable , these are just facts . Imop Wilder just doesn’t come off as genuine , Tyson was arrogant to but you saw a real guy that wanted to do damage , I think Wilder has created a bit of a character so there’s a big difference here .

Wilder has more confidence of getting knockouts I’ll give him that but Tyson knew no one could out box him when he was on his run . He also had a major video game at the time no social media existed and made headline news at a time people were still looking at T.V guides to see what was on next so it was hard to avoid actual attention which drove his popularity up .

In the end I guess Tyson said more by saying little, Wilder talks a lot and loud but it says less .

Last edited:
Mike Tyson... ain’t he da boy who plays football for Montreal?

How is this not obvious? Tyson looked a lightning-fast killer who had outstanding head movement and combos. His fights were action packed and he usually dominated from start to finish, and against better opposition.

Wilder has power. Thats it. He will look like shit and do almost nothing for several rounds before a knockout punch...it's just not as enjoyable to watch.

Btw '86 and '90, there was no doubt who was the #1 HW on the planet. You can't say that about anyone now.

boxing was promoted a lot better back then imo and tyson passes the eye test. he moved unlike other humans. wilder’s technique is like any guy you’ve seen on the street but the accuracy and the effect are otherworldly.

boxing was promoted a lot better back then imo and tyson passes the eye test. he moved unlike other humans. wilder’s technique is like any guy you’ve seen on the street but the accuracy and the effect are otherworldly.
It wasn't promoted better necessarily it's just more over saturated now

My theory is that it's because Iron Mike had a flashier, aggressive style, was relatively short (so appealed to pitbull owning manlets), and was viewed as a much more talented boxer. Wilder by contrast is a pretty boring (smart) boxer for most of the fight, uses his range perfectly and then unloads the right and it's lights out. So less appealing style.

Mike Tyson is probably the biggest name recognizer in all of combat sports, more than Ali. And this worship continues to this day. Wilder doesn't even seem close to achieving that recognition. And I don't think it changes regardless of whether he sweeps the division. There's just something about him that's not likeable. What is it?
Tyson was small, wilder is huge..people love an underdog

Back