Why doesn't Wilder have the same fanworship as Mike Tyson?

It's like you didn't read my post at all.
Nah I just didn't agree with your post. Wilder wouldn't have been any more popular in Tyson's era. This is the age of the internet where HL reels are king and Deontay looks really good in HL's. But it when he actually fights that people quickly realise he has a big deficit in boxing ability.

And whilst I have your attention I'm interested to know, who would win in a fight between Prime Mike Tyson and Prime Deontay Wilder?

Nah I just didn't agree with your post. Wilder wouldn't have been any more popular in Tyson's era. This is the age of the internet where HL reels are king and Deontay looks really good in HL's. But it when he actually fights that people quickly realise he has a big deficit in boxing ability.

And whilst I have your attention I'm interested to know, who would win in a fight between Prime Mike Tyson and Prime Deontay Wilder?

You people give fight fans way too much credit. People generally aren't making cross generational comparisons, when they decide to buy or not. Box office appeal doesn't work like that. amir khan up until 31 has proven to be a bigger box office draw in the US than crawford or spence, does that mean the US boxing fans carefully studied his skills and felt them to be superior to bud or spence or that Khan could beat them in his prime?

Relative Perceived ability is a factor, but it isn't the be all and end all, when it comes to drawing power.

Last edited:
it's a silly arguement, really silly. As many black superstars as there have been in all fields, it's not a novel thing anymore. When I was young, there weren't many top white fighters at the heavyweight level and not many good ones in other divisions. White fighters were seen as hapless jokes waiting to be exposed as the ali's, fraziers and holmes' did to the quarry's chuvalo's and cooneys. With the lack of amateur training and just the pussification of america (kids want to play videogames and boys are discouraged to be masculine) we just don't have fighters anymore. Americans may not know a lot of shit but they do know what they want out of boxing, more than race they want excitement and no one has given it to them at heavyweight for a good while. wilder, with his limited skills and his shitty attitude (saying he wants a body, something that is most pro fighters worst nightmare is just one statement that makes him look like an amateur)isn't the guy. so, yes, it's a racist country, that has never stopped some of the greats from becoming beloved icons. Rocky Marciano, the last great white champion, wasn't really appreciated because he came after Joe and even beat Joe, no one wanted to see that.

I guess many of you are uncomfortable with the role race plays in these things. I will respect that, even if the facts suggest otherwise, I do believe race is a limiting factor in the popularity of certain fighters, it is somewhat worth noting that the 2 biggest paid for US boxing attendance all time is dempsey vs tunney 1 & 2

I guess many of you are uncomfortable with the role race plays in these things. I will respect that, even if the facts suggest otherwise, I do believe race is a limiting factor in the popularity of certain fighters, it is somewhat worth noting that the 2 biggest paid for US boxing attendance all time is dempsey vs tunney 1 & 2
not today baby, not today, race might make the neighbors poke their heads through the blinds if they see a black guy, might make people step on the front porch but it's not gonna stop anyone in the entertainment/sports businesses'. Even if race or enmity of some kind is a factor, that usually helps a boxing gate because people want to see the bad guy lose. With Wilder it's just indifference, not even that. Also, one very interesting thing on that note, most of the great heavyweights were absolutely vilified in their primes, Dempsey was, Ali was, Tyson, and some others didn't seem to catch on like they should have like Larry Holmes. Americans are fickle( as sugar Ray leonard once complained about) all of the hated champions end up being a lot more favored after they lose or retire, then they are national treasures.

In the pros Mike had an aura of invincibility. He was running through cans and journeyman easily and quickly. He also was more seasoned and polished at a younger age. His movement offensively and defensively were aesthetically stunning and distinctive. He got lots of hype and coverage as a kid prodigy. He also was not competing against a MMA explosion. The NFL and NBA hadn't reached their peak yet either..
The NBA did its best ratings in the 1980s outside of Michael Jordans 1990s championship runs.
The NFL was doing great numbers as well.
Boxing was on regular tv and just overall a bigger sport back then.
Them going to PPV and HBO is what really took it out of the mainstream.
That and having 4 champions per weight class didnt help either.

Mike Tyson was also a more exciting fighter than Deontay as well.

lol@thinking Tyson is/was more famous than Ali, Ali is/was the most famous man on Earth, not even Michael Jackson in his prime was more famous than Ali was/is. Tyson is probably a very distant 2nd when it comes to most famous boxers and Floyd and Manny are right there with him. But nobody, boxer or otherwise, is coming close to the level of worldwide fame Ali had/has.
No. Michael Jackson was the most famous person on the planet outside of Jesus.
After that? Muhammad Ali and then Michael Jordan.

The NBA did its best ratings in the 1980s outside of Michael Jordans 1990s championship runs.
The NFL was doing great numbers as well.
Boxing was on regular tv and just overall a bigger sport back then.
Them going to PPV and HBO is what really took it out of the mainstream.
That and having 4 champions per weight class didnt help either.

Mike Tyson was also a more exciting fighter than Deontay as well.
What do you mean by ratings??? Ratings based off shares/time slots or #s wise? 2 very totally different things.
Globally the NBA became huge and bigger world wide due to Jordan and the Bulls.

What do you mean by ratings??? Ratings based off shares/time slots or #s wise? 2 very totally different things.
Globally the NBA became huge and bigger world wide due to Jordan and the Bulls.
The 80s had more viewers than the 2000s-present.
More people watched the NBA back then.
They had shit ratings in 1980-1981 because TNT or some shit bought the rights and were tape delaying games.
In 1982, it was back on the mainstream channels and the emergence of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson skyrocket ratings to heights they didnt touch again until Jordans last 3 years.
Dr J, wins a ring in the 80s, the Bad Boys from Detroit get 2 rings in the final years before Jordan beats the hell out of them in 1990.

no he wasnt.
Yea he was.
He was a way more vicious puncher than Wilder.
He was an actual psychopath in and outside of the ring.
Wilder isn't.
And I like Wilder but he was no Tyson.

No. Michael Jackson was the most famous person on the planet outside of Jesus.
After that? Muhammad Ali and then Michael Jordan.
You have no ide how right u are.. old religious people back in my village days knew the name michael jackson. Those people never watched a music vid in their life.

quite frankly Mike Tyson fought in a better era of Heavies and was a much better boxer than Wilder

His fan friendly aggressive style and his 'look' also appealed to the masses

Tyson was a frightening character growing up

Wrong. Most guys who don't anything about fighting knows Tyson due to the ear bite thing. same people don't know Ali.

I don't know what age you are buddy, but Mike Tyson was famous as fuck when I was growing up

Muhammad Ali was legit the most famous man on the planet during the 70's/80's

You people give fight fans way too much credit. People generally aren't making cross generational comparisons, when they decide to buy or not. Box office appeal doesn't work like that. amir khan up until 31 has proven to be a bigger box office draw in the US than crawford or spence, does that mean the US boxing fans carefully studied his skills and felt them to be superior to bud or spence or that Khan could beat them in his prime?

Relative Perceived ability is a factor, but it isn't the be all and end all, when it comes to drawing power.
Khan had dazzling speed though. He was fun to watch. I can totally understand that. Tyson himself was blazing fast and look unbeatable. Wilder just isn't viewed the same when gets outboxed round after round.

Their personalities are quite a bit different. Wilder is loud and obnoxious. On the other hand, Tyson appeared stoic and angry in his prime. It's harder to be a fan of someone like the former.

Then there's what happens in the ring. Wilder has the same kind of devastating punch, but his ability to land it and not get hit himself is lacking. There has been and always will be a sense of vulnerability for Wilder because of his technical deficiencies. Whereas Tyson was a very well schooled and disciplined fighter in his youth.

Tyson is a GOD

When future told Francis will be more legendary then both wilder Tyson

I think race certainly plays a part, in general (not necessarily in relation to tyson)

If wilder (or many others) were blonde haired, blue eyed, american patriot, with an US flag as a tattoo and became long standing WBC heavyweight champ we wouldn't have this thread.

Gtfo with that shit. The vast majority of white people don't give a shit what color somebody else's skin is anymore. Plus the biggest boxing draws of all time have all been black. Wilder isn't as popular because...

1. The division has lost the public's interest when Vlad was busy snoozing it up for all of those years.
2. He's not the unified champion.
3. Boxing's politics and showcase fights are shitting up the division.
4. The HW boxing champion doesn't have the aura it used to as baddest man on the planet now due to MMA's popularity.
5. He's not as technically sound as Tyson was either. He hits like a truck, but looks like an uncoordinated retard while he's doing it sometimes.

All things said I really like Wilder and am hoping he can unify the belts. It would be great for boxing to have an American unified HW champion.

no he wasnt.
lol what? He used to go out and destroy top fighters, and look like a killer doing it. Wilder looks like a amateur who often gets outboxed for long periods. They are not comparable. Tyson was a tornado. No amount of fancy dresses will change the fact that Wilder is just a can crusher.

Back