Why doesn't Wilder have the same fanworship as Mike Tyson?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My theory is that it's because Iron Mike had a flashier, aggressive style, was relatively short (so appealed to pitbull owning manlets), and was viewed as a much more talented boxer. Wilder by contrast is a pretty boring (smart) boxer for most of the fight, uses his range perfectly and then unloads the right and it's lights out. So less appealing style.

Mike Tyson is probably the biggest name recognizer in all of combat sports, more than Ali. And this worship continues to this day. Wilder doesn't even seem close to achieving that recognition. And I don't think it changes regardless of whether he sweeps the division. There's just something about him that's not likeable. What is it?

Tyson wrecked better boxers, with more skill, in more exciting fights, and had been promoted better from a much younger age in an era when boxing was bigger.

Last edited:
In the pros Mike had an aura of invincibility. He was running through cans and journeyman easily and quickly. He also was more seasoned and polished at a younger age. His movement offensively and defensively were aesthetically stunning and distinctive. He got lots of hype and coverage as a kid prodigy. He also was not competing against a MMA explosion. The NFL and NBA hadn't reached their peak yet either. Boxing was looked at differently back then. Mike also benefited from being just as entertaining and polarizing outside of the ring as in. If not more.

Wilder started a lot later. He doesn't have that same refinement in his movement or style. He moves more awkwardly due to his build and it's just not as fluid or cool looking. It causes many people to miss the genius of his setup and his high level of skill in all areas. Also, Wilder frequently loses rounds and has had issues with much lesser opponents that Tyson would of murdered in less than a round. All this adds fuel to the fire for haters to keep sleeping on this champion. Also, Wilder didnt have the hype or coverage of a young Iron Mike. Even though he won a bronze in the Olympics. MMA was exploding, boxing was killing itself to the mainstream, and the NBA and NFL had turned into even biggerjuggernauts. Boxing was on everyones back burner. Wilder is entertaining and has a personality but it just isn't anywhere near as polarizing as the bizarre world of Mike Tyson.

It kind of makes perfect sense why. Different styles, different personalities, and much different times.

My theory is that it's because Iron Mike had a flashier, aggressive style, was relatively short (so appealed to pitbull owning manlets), and was viewed as a much more talented boxer. Wilder by contrast is a pretty boring (smart) boxer for most of the fight, uses his range perfectly and then unloads the right and it's lights out. So less appealing style.

Mike Tyson is probably the biggest name recognizer in all of combat sports, more than Ali. And this worship continues to this day. Wilder doesn't even seem close to achieving that recognition. And I don't think it changes regardless of whether he sweeps the division. There's just something about him that's not likeable. What is it?

i think its all the things you said as well as his technical prowess. Tyson fought like a perfectly programmed machine, he was like the terminator. Almost like one of those impossible boss characters in a fighting game who dodge everything you throw and hit you whenever they want.

Wilder on the other hand is kind of sloppy but powerful AF. If tyson was like a freaky, thick tank of a terminator, Wilder is like a bear, one smack with that paw and you're done.

That being said. The actual answer imo is that Tyson was undisputed champion. Wilder still has Fury and Joshua.

If wilder can end up as undisputed champ, comparing him to tyson would be more fair. And I'm of the belief that Deontay has mega star potential.

mike was beating the best in the division early 20’s. Actively sought the belts and the best fighters of the time
Wilder only started fighting credible opponents when he got close to 40 fights. His stock has only really stated to rise from the first Ortiz fight

Wilder has everything to become the biggest combat athlete of all time, but imo its racism, some are jelly etc.

UK people 100% hate Wilder.

Lol
So racism is why wilder doesn’t have Tyson’s following. You’re either stupid or think mike Tyson is a white dude

Tyson isn't he norm, the question should be how did Tyson become so popular, not why wilder isn't as popular. Being a superstar at an early age is what is needed to become tyson big. Only 3 boxers have reached that level of widely celebrated superstardom in recent times ( leonard, tyson, ali) 2 of which won olympic gold medals essentially at home, when they were barely out of their teens

mike was beating the best in the division early 20’s. Actively sought the belts and the best fighters of the time
Wilder only started fighting credible opponents when he got close to 40 fights. His stock has only really stated to rise from the first Ortiz fight

Casual don't care about no. of belts or how deep your resume is. Conor mcgregor became the biggest mma star ever without defending a title or cleaning out a division. Andre ward cleaned out a division and fought everybody and nobody cared.

Wilder has everything to become the biggest combat athlete of all time, but imo its racism, some are jelly etc.

UK people 100% hate Wilder.
It's sad that I can't tell if you're joking or just that much of an idiot.

Tyson isn't he norm, the question should be how did Tyson become so popular, not why wilder isn't as popular. Being a superstar at an early age is what is needed to become tyson big. Only 3 boxers have reached that level of widely celebrated superstardom in recent times ( leonard, tyson, ali) 2 of which won olympic gold medals essentially at home, when they were barely out of their teens

Casual don't care about no. of belts or how deep your resume is. Conor mcgregor became the biggest mma star ever without defending a title or cleaning out a division. Andre ward cleaned out a division and fought everybody and nobody cared.
Yes, people have unrealistic expectations and a super critical eye for this man.

I would put Floyd on that list too. They also conveniently forget how long it took Floyd AFTER BEING Champ to become a mega star.
Wilder is doing just fine.

S

Maybe our definition of cans are different. What if I said undersized flabby journeyman, or journeyman late comers?

he did not lose rounds to them.. at least not the last years. And Tyson had fights were he was drifiting (Mitch Green, Bonecrusher Smith).

Back