Why doesn't Wilder have the same fanworship as Mike Tyson?

he did not lose rounds to them.. at least not the last years. And Tyson had fights were he was drifiting (Mitch Green, Bonecrusher Smith).
I'm talking his entire body of work not just last year. Hes only fought 3 people of the last years and I would only consider one of them a can or journeyman.

1. Tyson had better competition than Wilder.
2. Tyson had more of a bad boy aura.
3. People cared more about HW division then than now

Wilder has everything to become the biggest combat athlete of all time, but imo its racism, some are jelly etc.

UK people 100% hate Wilder.

Indeed.
Tyson was this quiet blonde guy with green eyes and people love him for that.
But Wilder is this loud black guy who was in jail for rape and converted to Islam and people hate him for this.
Wait... what?

I think race certainly plays a part, in general (not necessarily in relation to tyson)

If wilder (or many others) were blonde haired, blue eyed, american patriot, with an US flag as a tattoo and became long standing WBC heavyweight champ we wouldn't have this thread.

I'm talking his entire body of work not just last year. Hes only fought 3 people of the last years and I would only consider one of them a can or journeyman.

I don't recall him losing rounds against Gerald Washington

I’d be interested in seeing how popular Wilder will be if he were to KO Fury in a few weeks then go on to KO Joshua too. I’d like to think he’d come semi close to being a household name then

I’d be interested in seeing how popular Wilder will be if he were to KO Fury in a few weeks then go on to KO Joshua too. I’d like to think he’d come semi close to being a household name then

I don't think so..He's just not likeable and people keep romancing about past fighters.

Mike was undisputed champion. Wilder is basically a long standing elite contender.

I think race certainly plays a part, in general (not necessarily in relation to tyson)

If wilder (or many others) were blonde haired, blue eyed, american patriot, with an US flag as a tattoo and became long standing WBC heavyweight champ we wouldn't have this thread.
Maybe in MMA but the vast majority of accomplished boxers in its history haven't been white. Tyson looked faster and more skilled when he boxed and people could tell. Wilder looks impressive when KOing people but doesn't have that noticeable skill otherwise. He's gotten better but when there are Gifs of him windmilling his arms people can see the vast difference. He also hasn't unified. Boxing also isn't as big as it was then. These things add up.

Maybe in MMA but the vast majority of accomplished boxers in its history haven't been white. Tyson looked faster and more skilled when he boxed and people could tell. Wilder looks impressive when KOing people but doesn't have that noticeable skill otherwise. He's gotten better but when there are Gifs of him windmilling his arms people can see the vast difference. He also hasn't unified. Boxing also isn't as big as it was then. These things add up.

Race plays a part, the expression "great white hope" comes from boxing and in part from a quest to find a money making star that will more broadly appeal to the masses.

For an african american boxer to reach megastar status he will need to tick multiple boxes, tyson did, easily identifable Skill and titles won't be enough, ask roy jones junior

Last edited:
Only Americans like Mike Tyson. I forgot.
I respectfully disagree. Losing rounds and getting later round KOs is not running through people like Tyson did. That plays huge on public perception.

Absolutely.

And the difference between Mike and the opposition was much greater.

I've seen Wilder win, not necessarily being the better boxer

Mike Tyson >>> Deontay Wilder

Probably a lot to do with how his fights look. Both get KO's but Tyson, certainly when in his prime looked devastating and hardly lost a round. Contrast that to Wilder who loses virtually every round that he doesn't knock down an opponent. They have very different styles and Tyson was a lot more exciting to watch.

Race plays a part, the expression "great white hope" comes from boxing and in part from a quest to find a money making star that will more broadly appeal to the masses.

For an african american boxer to reach megastar status he will need to tick multiple boxes, tyson did, easily identifable Skill and titles won't be enough, ask roy jones junior
I agree.
Also, people tend to like certain people who fit into certain boxes or act a stereotypical way. As Tyson acted like a complete savage.
I think its so strange how Tyson can litterally act like a monster and be popular.
However, Wilder is just being confident and motivational yet people hate his personality.
Some boxing history to remember
-Ali is beloved now and an icon worldwide but he was also just as much hated by more than half of America in his prime. Especially when he joined the NOI and especially when he refused to fight in Vietnam.
-Jack Johnson was so hated when he won it litterally caused race riots and lynchings.

What was the general consensus for the Bruno or Lewis fights????

Heavyweight brits pre-Lewis was seen as loveable losers. Henry Cooper was a major one before Bruno, a guy just good enough to put up a great fight but lose, often because of his faulty skin tissue. So, yes, the brits were basically not taken very seriously. Bruno fit right into that lineage, he did nothing to help that before Tyson 1 by actually winning all the fights against Bonecrusher Smith and Tim Witherspoon before completely collapsing. So, a big, huge, loveable guy (again) who couldn't deliver. He had great talent but he was overly muscular for the era, big men typically tire suddenly and dramatically. He put up a great fight for Tyson the first time but his stamina and his chin gave out as they usually did in his big fights. He didn't know how to stall or hold when hurt, something he he learned by the time of the Mccall fight where he hung on for dear life and even had an american (me) happy for him as he cried with joy afterwards.

Lewis was a different animal from the start, the magazines, for reasons I couldn't understand, hyped him up without their usual contempt for british fighters. Perhaps because Lennox was more transatlantic than brit, who knows. But, even he fell out and lived up to the brits rep after the mccall loss. He did redeem himself many times over unlike the previous brits.

I agree.
Also, people tend to like certain people who fit into certain boxes or act a stereotypical way. As Tyson acted like a complete savage.
I think its so strange how Tyson can litterally act like a monster and be popular.
However, Wilder is just being confident and motivational yet people hate his personality.
Some boxing history to remember
-Ali is beloved now and an icon worldwide but he was also just as much hated by more than half of America in his prime. Especially when he joined the NOI and especially when he refused to fight in Vietnam.
-Jack Johnson was so hated when he won it litterally caused race riots and lynchings.
I don't like wilder for the same reason i don't like a lot of female boxers, amateurish attitudes, it doesn't belong in the sport. Yes, Ali and Tyson had times when they lost patience with journalists and fans but Wilder seems to have no inkling of what it means to be a pro fighter. Staring down a journalist with his hip hop gleaned posturing just makes me hate him. Then we have his amateurish shit in the ring, dancing and shit. Just a matter of time before he loses and I'll be glad. It won't take no buster douglas to do it. Fury should have won the last one and I think he'll rise to the occasion and win the next one.

these days? No, just no. Race is still an issue and maybe always will be in america but for boxing? Hell no, a black champion is normal. Ali and Louis were legends, Holmes was recognized as great but was never popular, mainly due to his attitude and the fact that no one could live up to the vacuum left after ali. Tyson was hot right out of the gate because people wanted a heavyweight who could kayo his opponents and wanted to. The division was in a huge lull in that era, Holmes was great but most of the big men were only capable of fighting well once or twice. Drugs, laziness, mental issues affected Pinklon Thomas, Tony Tubbs, Michael Dokes, Tyrell Biggs, Tim Witherspoon, and others like Carl Williams, Bonecrusher Smith, Mike Weaver all were simply too incomplete as fighters to dominate the division. Tyson came along and cleaned that mess up, he was ready to clean up the division and let everyone know not to even step in the ring without proper preparation. If they did against him they were disposed of quickly, there weren't any questions about who won for his first, what was it? 9 defenses? Against top fighters, guys who may have showed some promise but didn't have the stuff or the dedication were taken out, for the most part, in scintillating fashion. None of this losing 8 rounds and kayoing a guy, or close decisions. And, honestly, none of what tyson called "that funny style" which was the dancing side to side which everyone in those days imitated from Ali, honestly, the public needed something different and they got it.

I think in the case of heavyweight boxing in the last 15 years, the american public does indeed know the difference between quality. It's hard to go from Filet mignon to a chicken burger. whoever said, "no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the american public" is wrong in this one case.

Wilder seems to have no inkling of what it means to be a pro fighter. Staring down a journalist with his hip hop gleaned posturing just makes me hate him.
Wtf...lol. "hip hop gleaned posturing"
Ummm.

Wtf...lol. "hip hop gleaned posturing"
Ummm.
intimidation, glaring, sneering, do you get it now? It's unprofessional, boxers of the past have seldom done anything like that, they knew how they were expected to act and they did. I hate that shit, I feel like slapping the shit out guys when they do it to me, but we can't do that. The only major boxing figures who have done that kind of thing to journalists or the public, that I'm aware of are Wilder, Tyson, Liston. Most of the others will do anything to avoid a physical thing outside of the ring.

intimidation, glaring, sneering, do you get it now? It's unprofessional, boxers of the past have seldom done anything like that, they knew how they were expected to act and they did. I hate that shit, I feel like slapping the shit out guys when they do it to me, but we can't do that. The only major boxing figures who have done that kind of thing to journalists or the public, that I'm aware of are Wilder, Tyson, Liston. Most of the others will do anything to avoid a physical thing outside of the ring.
WTF does hip hop have to do with anything? Forman was known to be nasty and rude to reporters. Even checked commentator when he got into broadcasting. Floyd has had epic viral outbursts with reporters and broadcasters.

Back