Why does it matter who moves forward?

Reyes landed at least 7 more significant strikes per round in the first 3.

Jones landed 7 more in round 4 then 5 more in round 5.

As far as not being in control if the other is going forward, that's just not true. Some fighters prefer to be on the backfoot counterstriking instead of going forward. Some even intentionally bait you into going after them so they can counter.
Nothing and I repeat Nothing occurred in Round 2 worth a belt changing hand. I have no clue how Reyes even got such a wide scoring margin when his best moment was a flurry that hit nothing but air. Not saying Jon did anything either other than land some shots and control the Octagon. There was about 3 or 4 quality strikes from Reyes that were of true significance and the same from Jon

No because if you land an effective counter punch your opponent should back up or fall to the ground. We saw Conor land multiple knockdowns on nate. By contrast we saw Yoel vs Costa... Yoel kept hanging back waiting to unload on costa in the 3rd round and it never happened.

Reyes landed some clean counters, but it never effected jones and he never scored a KD. Jones maybe backed up for 10-20 seconds in the whole fight before getting off the fence and resuming octagon control
This this and only this

Leaves the impression on judges.

judges don’t have a punch tally n might even miss some punches/kicks landed from their angle.

moving forward looks like you’re in control of the fight
People don't seem to get this. They are going off the stats that we see as the fight goes on. Judges, don't get that. They just go off what they are seeing in the moment. People need to stop crying and look forward to the Rematch that's going to come.

They're not using the new rules to judge fights. Did you not know that? They're using the old rules
All commissions use the new judging criteria. Them using the old rules just refers to fouls.

Nothing and I repeat Nothing occurred in Round 2 worth a belt changing hand. I have no clue how Reyes even got such a wide scoring margin when his best moment was a flurry that hit nothing but air. Not saying Jon did anything either other than land some shots and control the Octagon. There was about 3 or 4 quality strikes from Reyes that were of true significance and the same from Jon
"Nothing happened" except for Reyes out landing Jones with clean uppercuts to the body and left straights to the head(about 8 significant punches), him missing most of the punches in a flurry does not give Jon the victory. 10-9 is not a "wide margin", its a close round with a slight advantage to one fighter. A belt changing hands is irrelevant its the same as any fight where 1 point can dictate the winner, in this case it should have if the judges were competent and or truly impartial. Clear 48-47 for CHAMPION Dominick Reyes.

"Nothing happened" except for Reyes out landing Jones with clean uppercuts to the body and left straights to the head(about 8 significant punches), him missing most of the punches in a flurry does not give Jon the victory. 10-9 is not a "wide margin", its a close round with a slight advantage to one fighter. A belt changing hands is irrelevant its the same as any fight where 1 point can dictate the winner, in this case it should have if the judges were competent and or truly impartial. Clear 48-47 for CHAMPION Dominick Reyes.
95% of Reyes offensive output was in the first two minutes with the most spectacular thing being a missed combo. The remainder of the round was Jon stalking and landing crisply with only a spark here and there from Reyes. He simply did not do enough

95% of Reyes offensive output was in the first two minutes with the most spectacular thing being a missed combo. The remainder of the round was Jon stalking and landing crisply with only a spark here and there from Reyes. He simply did not do enough
That's because you're biased and defending the fighter you wanted to win. Reyes Landed 5 punches in the latter half of the round with one kick while Jones landed 2 punches and 2 kicks in the same period. Reyes landed more punches with more steam on them, Jones stalking forward is completely irrelevant as Reyes demonstratively had the more effective striking.

That's because you're biased and defending the fighter you wanted to win. Reyes Landed 5 punches in the latter half of the round with one kick while Jones landed 2 punches and 2 kicks in the same period. Reyes landed more punches with more steam on them, Jones stalking forward is completely irrelevant as Reyes demonstratively had the more effective striking.
Stopped at I am biased and the fighter I wanted to win. Clown do you realize before the fight I made a post saying now is the time to bet the house on Reyes. Do you also realize I also rewatched the fight 5 times before commenting on it. Show me the exact minute point in Round 2 where Reyes landed anything worth taking a belt home and I guarantee I can point to an equal strike from Jones. Your failure to analyze a close fight objectively is not my bias. Reyes didnt do enough to convince he deserved the belt. Hence... and still

Um what if you are constantly moving backwards yet constantly landing punches because your opponent is constantly running into them by walking forward? And you are outlanding your opponent by doing this?

I asked this in the OP, not sure how you missed it.
Then you win the round, because you have out struck your opponent, which is the number one criteria.

If, on the other hand the striking and grappling was equal, you would lose the round due to your constant retreating.

Stopped at I am biased and the fighter I wanted to win. Clown do you realize before the fight I made a post saying now is the time to bet the house on Reyes. Do you also realize I also rewatched the fight 5 times before commenting on it. Show me the exact minute point in Round 2 where Reyes landed anything worth taking a belt home and I guarantee I can point to an equal strike from Jones. Your failure to analyze a close fight objectively is not my bias. Reyes didnt do enough to convince he deserved the belt. Hence... and still
There is no requirement to "do enough to earn a belt" except to fanboys like yourself and exposed corrupt judges like Soliz, there is only doing enough to get more points than your opponent. You have the strike count already show me how Jones strikes were more significant.

Utilizing different forms of movement isn't running you fucking weirdo
Counterattacking isn't attacking. It's countering. It's passive. It doesn't initiate. If both fighters fought this way, consummately, neither would ever throw a punch.

Any "form" of movement that isn't forward and first isn't forcing the issue. It is in fact, without a cooperative opponent willing to do so, a form of running.

There is no requirement to "do enough to earn a belt" except to fanboys like yourself and exposed corrupt judges like Soliz, there is only a winner and a loser. You have the strike count already show me how Jones strikes were more significant.
Well let me keep it simple and plain. If your lasting impression you leave in the judges mind is you gassed and getting beat the final 2 rounds after causing no significant damage the first 3 dont be surprised if the challenger loses. It is very rare the champ loses IN ANY FIGHT under those circumstances. I didnt make up this perception it's a fact in combat sports judging. Dont cry to me about it. Cry to Dominick to do more to take the belt next time boy.

Because for a fight to take place offense must be initiated. Otherwise, it would be a 2-man game of tag where neither man is "It". Pointless.

I had Reyes, btw, but I've always understood why octagon control is awarded consideration, and often decides very close fights when there is little else. Running isn't fighting. You must attack.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F993553746%2F960x0.jpg

Well let me keep it simple and plain. If your lasting impression you leave in the judges mind is you gassed and getting beat the final 2 rounds after causing no significant damage the first 3 dont be surprised if the challenger loses. It is very rare the champ loses IN ANY FIGHT under those circumstances. I didnt make up this perception it's a fact in combat sports judging. Dont cry to me about it. Cry to Dominick to do more to take the belt next time boy.
I agree that Dominick should have done more in round 5 but that's totally irrelevant to my point, how does that have anything to do with Dom winning the first 3 rounds?????? If what you're saying is true then MMA judging is corrupt across the board which is entirely the problem I've been complaining about from the beginning. all rounds are scored the same, the only way Jones could have won was if he was awarded a 10-8 in the fifth.

I agree that Dominick should have done more in round 5 but that's totally irrelevant to my point, how does that have anything to do with Dom winning the first 3 rounds?????? If what you're saying is true then MMA judging is corrupt across the board which is entirely the problem I've been complaining about from the beginning. all rounds are scored the same, the only way Jones could have won was if he was awarded a 10-8 in the fifth.
In my humble opinion Round 2 was a toss up and the best thing that occurred was Jones brilliantly dodging a 15 strike barrage and controlling the octagon. He also landed some shots Iwould argue were crisper while Dominick landed mostly partially blocked blows. Dominick also showed signs of gassing after missing all those punches. The round was a toss up that could go either way in under those circumstances I side with the champ

In my humble opinion Round 2 was a toss up and the best thing that occurred was Jones brilliantly dodging a 15 strike barrage and controlling the octagon. He also landed some shots Iwould argue were crisper while Dominick landed mostly partially blocked blows. Dominick also showed signs of gassing after missing all those punches. The round was a toss up that could go either way in under those circumstances I side with the champ
I disagree with your assessment but if the round were 100% even it should be 10-10 not go to the champion and thus the fight should have been a tie with Reyes getting round 1,3 and Jones getting 4,5. Championship status needs to be irrelevant to scoring.

I disagree with your assessment but if the round were 100% even it should be 10-10 not go to the champion and thus the fight should have been a tie with Reyes getting round 1,3 and Jones getting 4,5. Championship status needs to be irrelevant to scoring.
That is something I do not disagree with at all. However due to the fact mma RARELY awards 10-10 rounds in a situation that is normally a tie I feel it should go to the champ. That's my opinion. I understand if someone feels different as I saw the round a toss up or virtually a tie. I think that beating a champ should be done convincingly and Reyes fell short. We can debate for days on if our opinion is different in that regard but one thing that is not opinion. No game changing strike occurred that round and it was close

Because for a fight to take place offense must be initiated. Otherwise, it would be a 2-man game of tag where neither man is "It". Pointless.

I had Reyes, btw, but I've always understood why octagon control is awarded consideration, and often decides very close fights when there is little else. Running isn't fighting. You must attack.

Moving forward isn't octagon control if the guy moving backwards is leading you around and walking you into jabs all night. In that case the guy moving backwards is in fact in control of the guy moving forward.

I'm not talking about Reyes btw, just speaking in general.

Jones is the one that actually ran. Regardless of how important octagon control is supposed to be, I really don't see how, round by round, it was actually in the clear favour of Jones. Do we even have stats about it?
Simplest way to determine Octagon Control is to review the fight, and add up all the time either fighter is inside that interior octagon drawn into the floor at the center of the cage. Whoever occupies that space for a longer amount of time for the fight is the objective winner of "octagon control".

Fairly certain Jones would win that by a staggering margin.

Back