Why does it matter who moves forward?

It's called aggression and willingness to fight and it should always be counted and rewarded even if you get hit while walking forward...

Leaves the impression on judges.

judges don’t have a punch tally n might even miss some punches/kicks landed from their angle.

moving forward looks like you’re in control of the fight

LOL, no-one does this, and Reyes certainly didn't.

Anderson Silva knocked half his opponents the fuck out by moving backwards.

Floyd Mayweather did this in pretty much the whole last half of his career.

It's ok to move back, for a few steps, but not for the whole fucking round like Reyes did.

it shouldn't, but a lot of MMA judges and fans are stupid as fuck and think good footwork is " running ".

Big difference between good footwork & backing up. Reyes did show good footwork but not much stand your ground combined with that good footwork and side stepping.

Moving forward does not mean you're winning the fight or controlling the octagon if you just following and not cutting off the angles - which jon was doing (just following).

Reyes was using lateral movement to circle jon and counter and when he needed to attacked and put jon on his heels.

Agree about it being a tie breaker for the new rules. Jones exploiting the old rules is some 4D chess level.

Reyes was not "running." If anything, Jon was the one actually "running." Reyes used lots of lateral movement and yes, he backed out of range when Jon threw strikes. That's good defense, not running. He was doing a lot of counter-striking but was effective at it and was also very aggressive at times, chasing Jon all around the cage. Just because Jon marched forward a lot and Reyes moved side to side and circled a lot doesn't mean either guy was in control really. It was a non-factor IMO.

Reyes obviously won round 1. And Jones won round 4 and 5.

rounds 2 and 3 I saw Reyes landing, but it wasn't effective. Jones looked unphased and kept coming forward. I'm not sure if judges get the CompuBox numbers or not... but I saw nothing significant from either fighter. Its the judges job to determine if a strike was significant (had an effect on the opponent or not).

I did see Reyes taking a step back every time jones inched forward. For a majority of the round Reyes' feet were behind the double lines and his back to the fence.

This is the game a counterpuncher plays. You back up the entire fight and let your opponent throw first in the hopes he missed and you can catch him. If you don't land any knockdowns or have a significant effect on your opponent... well you've shot yourself in the foot.

Rounds 2 and 3 were close, so i'd give both fighters a split. Jones 3-2

It doesnt matter really, but if a round is a toss up who are you going to give it to? The guy on his back foot or the one advancing?

It doesn’t make sense. Counter fighters would lose all decisions then if that was criteria for winning.

Cage aggression should only be counted when all else is equal to break a potential decision IMO.

I'ts dumb to compare Reyes' 2-round back peddling to Silva and Mayweather. Just stop!

I don't understand.

If a fighter is moving forward the whole time but also walking into his opponents shots without landing much of his own, why is it a positive that he moved forward?
why is it a positive to spam punches with no effect on your opponent to the point you're tired and losing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back