why do you lift?

Weasel, you get "hassled" because you come across as an uptight, disingenuous jerk who breaks into obscenities every time he thinks he's been slighted. You also seem to be very thick-headed when it comes to taking advice from those who are much wiser and more experienced than you. I don't mean to insult you, but, honestly, if you would loosen up and get a little humility going on, you'd probably find your experience on this forum a lot more serene.

And Dash, thanks. ;)

HULKAMANIA said:
Anyway, I started lifting because of my girlfriend.

I felt like a woman of her caliber deserved to be with a man and not a pale, wan little college boy like me. It surprised me that she had, in the end, condescended to be my girlfriend, but I promised to myself that I wouldn

Fight_Song said:
that's what kept me on my routine when high school wrestling was over and now i have bjj/mt training to look forward to so i keep it up. so easy to get fat, sit in a comfy chair all day with ice cream and video games or dvds. that's not gonna be me.

and guys, lets not turn a pretty good thread into a bop-the-diesel-weasle contest lol. some of it is pretty funny though.

Your lack of strength, heart and character is funny too. :icon_lol:

HULKAMANIA, your skullet is awesome, brother!!@*_(@#

I have not hassled you since your return. I just wanted to clarify hulk's statement and was genuinely curious about log lifting. So the tires are only there to buffer the log's fall when you drop it? they hit the log and not the plates then? or is it the other way around?

Urban said:
I have not hassled you since your return. I just wanted to clarify hulk's statement and was genuinely curious about log lifting. So the tires are only there to buffer the log's fall when you drop it? they hit the log and not the plates then? or is it the other way around?

Yeah, it appears to act only as a buffer if the lifter drops the log.

STOMP said:
well you said you aren't currently "lifting weights" but you are trying experiments to get bigger and stronger correct??? so are you saying you are doing like bodyweight workouts or using kettlebells. i mean what are you doing right now to get bigger and freakier? the reason i ask is because i've had some recent injuries with my back from lifting heavy weights and playing football for years so if the time would come where i would have to stop lifting for an extended period of time to heal up i could maybe still do bodyweight workouts to keep my musclemass up or at least minimize loss.

In that case sure i'll tell you what i've been up to.

latly i have found a way to actualy build mass using bodyweight exercisses. Bsicaly it works on the pricipal that the resistance is an unchangeable variable so simply doing repetitions in the same way that you would in your wieghted moves would be of little to no effect.

so what else can you change to iniciate muscle adaptaion? This leaves repetitions, frequency and force. it's obvious that taking repetitions anything beyond 20 will do you no good for strength and size because you switch over largy to endurance work at that point. But what will force your muscles to grow is changing the frequency of your workouts and the force that is applied in each set.

Let me explain the force end. In classic endurance sets you move at a slow to moderate pace to increase the max amount of reps that you can do. So when your goal is strength and size it only makes sence to do the exact opposite of this. Currently i do sets of 5 on my harder bodywieght exercisses and sets of 20 on the simple ones. I do this because once you pass these points no matter how hard you try you'll start to slow down and it becomes endurance work. So it's best to keep the sets short and fast instead of long and slow. Remember no bouncing during reps :D
So if before you did 50 reps of pushups in one set, split it up into 5 sets of 10 and do them as forcfully as possible.

As for the frequency end, you really have to play around with this and find out what is right for you. Basics of this is the more times you can workout within the week the better, within your bodies recovery capability. Currently i do 2 days on 1 - 2 days off depending on my soreness. just listen to your body.

anything else?

oh yeah and EAT! just because they are bodywieght exercisses dosen't mean there no demanding.

edit: one more tip, in my harder exercisses i have found it helpfull to use my weakest exercise to set the benchmark for how many sets i will do for the rest of the hard workouts that session. doing this allows me to focus on force without worry of going over that strength endurance barrier. it can also even out lagging body parts.

i lift for about any reason there is. there are a lot of people out there that have problems with life and resort to things that are self destructive to make themselves feel better. if only they would give exercise/martial arts/or weightlifting a try. in my opinion most people you see that have a lot of problems have them because they have very little self confidence or a strong false sense of confidence. exercising, lifting weights and thing in the like are clean means to become truly gratified with yourself. get off the couch

because i like the feeling of being strong when im tired, pissed off or even just sitting around the house. and also looking at myself in the mirror and being able to be proud of myself because of the effort u put into being stong healthy. but also girls!!! ahah

joe broadway said:
i lift for about any reason there is. there are a lot of people out there that have problems with life and resort to things that are self destructive to make themselves feel better. if only they would give exercise/martial arts/or weightlifting a try. in my opinion most people you see that have a lot of problems have them because they have very little self confidence or a strong false sense of confidence. exercising, lifting weights and thing in the like are clean means to become truly gratified with yourself. get off the couch
Well said. I find it pathetic to see people that are obviously extremely unhappy with themselves and their bodies but are unwilling to do anything about it. Nothing screams weakness of character like someone who is unhappy with their life but is unwilling to change for whatever reason, usually just sheer lack of determination and laziness.

I'd also like to mention that I'mm gonna start focusing my lifting towards the end goal of becoming a Police officer. In short I want it all, strength/speed/size!

I also lift becuase I like to prove to myself that I can do something if I want to, and to be able to do things on my own that an average human being wouldnt be able to do...that feeling is pretty priceless....

DieselWeasel said:
Urban, I received my log in the mail on Friday. Here is the video, 130x2.5:
http://media.putfile.com/max_logpress_130x211

I realized that tires have another use besides cushioning the impact of a dropped log. They also would prevent the log from rolling away if unattended.

Looks cool man. Did you find it considerably harder than standing overhead pressing?

Barut said:
Looks cool man. Did you find it considerably harder than standing overhead pressing?

The log press is similar in difficulty to a barbell overhead press. However, the log clean is definitely different than a barbell clean because the lifter uses a neutral (hammer) grip when using the log.

Why the 8" and not a 10 or 12?

Urban said:
Why the 8" and not a 10 or 12?

1) It's the same size log that they're using at the Strongest Man in PA contest.

2) It was less expensive. :redface:

DieselWeasel said:
Your lack of strength, heart and character is funny too. :icon_lol:
?

DieselWeasel said:
http://media.putfile.com/max_logpress_130x211
pussy. lol. i do that shit with my own body weight (185) for reps... but im lacking strength, heart and character.

funny.

I was to chubby kid throughout highschool. Chubby w/ a high bf% and very stickly looking. Was close to 200lbs @ 29% bf. Now I am at 165-170 at approx 15-16%bf. I have not gained alot of muscle, but shed tons of actual fat. My trainers at the gym(I know flame me) emphasized on my fatloss versus anything else. I have been lift6ing to build muscle for the last 6 weeks, on a consistent basis, I will train for 2 more, then take a week off. I will start a new, 8 week program after that, diet tweaking and routine tweek, of course. I quite enjoy knowing I am going to live longer and feel better by being healthy. The looking better part is just a byproduct of it all. The best part, specifically, is to set a new PR, or to run intervals, to a point were you are totally sure, you are going to puke and your body is going to fail, at that monent, I realize I can give up, but fuck all that, my mind is so absofuckinglutely strong that i will never give up, and that is where it counts.

dont run until you puke.

no wonder you lose a lot of weight. i know some girls who are on that new anorexic routine too. it's only a short-term thing anyways,

Back