Economy Why do people lie about wanting skilled migrants? Just say you don't want any immigrants.

It makes absolutely zero sense for a country to import skilled migrants over unskilled ones. Why would you want migrants to come to your country and compete for your most desirable positions? The purpose of migrants should be to take positions that are undesirable. If there are high skilled positions in your country that the local population deem undesirable then that is a problem the government needs to fix.

If you don't want unskilled migrants to come then just say you don't want immigration altogether. It's a stupid argument to even bring up. Migrants by definition should be unskilled relative to the local population.
I can't speak for other nations, but Canada has more that enough people sitting around doing nothing eating up resources.

It makes absolutely zero sense for a country to import skilled migrants over unskilled ones. Why would you want migrants to come to your country and compete for your most desirable positions? The purpose of migrants should be to take positions that are undesirable. If there are high skilled positions in your country that the local population deem undesirable then that is a problem the government needs to fix.

If you don't want unskilled migrants to come then just say you don't want immigration altogether. It's a stupid argument to even bring up. Migrants by definition should be unskilled relative to the local population.
I came here on my husband's O Visa (look it up) it's pretty much the Axl Rose emergency SKILLED AS FUCK Visa and at the time for the project he was employed to do, no one else had the skillset to do it.

I understand why people get jealous though.

O-1 Visas. Individuals with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business and athletics, or extraordinary achievement in motion picture and television production are eligible for O-1 visas.

Such a dumb post lol. Have you seen what our scientist that work for NASA, Lockheed, etc look like?

Hell literally all of my TA's in college were Chinese, Indian, or Pakistani. It's called brain drain mate. Would you rather have the worlds smartest coming to our country or China? Billy-Bob from Alabama ain't the one building our fighter jets.

There's a political group on Facebook who are predominantly redneck right with a guy who keeps telling to fuck off home. He said the other day he couldn't afford to buy basic groceries so I guess that's where that hatred comes from but I haven't been made to feel unwelcome. I didn't know you hated us so much @tastaylvr

Bit of a shame being I've been here for 9 years and there's fuck all you can do it since buying our green cards and a house legally.

Prime-age. Otherwise, you're just looking at demographic shifts and drawing false conclusions.

fredgraph.png

Nope. It's gotten much better for all quintiles, though the very bottom generally doesn't get much market income, which keeps it pinned pretty low (but the safety net has gotten more generous over time).

Picking this demographic without context is once again misleading.

The only reason for this is the increasing trend of lower unionization rates and the increased problem of single incomes no longer being able to support a family. It's making the opposite point you think it is. Workers were way better off in the 50s and 60s.

Things have gotten better for corporations and shareholders, not for workers.

Single incomes used to be able to support a family of four. This is no longer a reality. This demographic has increased participation because families will starve without it, not because workers are being treated better or have a higher share of the wealth.

Last edited:
Picking this demographic without context is once again misleading.

The only reason for this is the increasing trend of lower unionization rates and the increased problem of single incomes no longer being able to support a family. It's making the opposite point you think it is. Workers were way better off in the 50s and 60s.

Things have gotten better for corporations and shareholders, not for workers.

Single incomes used to be able to support a family of four. This is no longer a reality. This demographic has increased participation because families will starve without it, not because workers are being treated better or have a higher share of the wealth.

Things have gotten much better for workers. Job satisfaction is at an all-time high, and wages up and down the distribution are near all-time highs. Many people can support families of four with single incomes now (more than ever and a higher percentage than ever). It's absolutely ludicrous to claim that workers were better off in the '50s and '60s, even if you only care about white men.

Back