Why do people get mad at the dominant Grappler in a boring decision?

Honestly, I think both guys did fine.

5 rounds of HW grappling, exhaustion was going to be the killer. Both guys paced themselves and limited danger.

Being in a "dominant" position and not committing to anything offense at all is no different than just clinching.

It's holding and nothing more.

If someone is rocked and they hold on for dear life.

Who is winning that exchange?

Clearly holding means jack shit

Being in a "dominant" position and not committing to anything offense at all is no different than just clinching.

It's holding and nothing more.

If someone is rocked and they hold on for dear life.

Who is winning that exchange?

Clearly holding means jack shit
100% agree, is a Dominant position worth anything if you doing nothing with it. It's high level stalling

In fights like this I always see people rage at the guy laying on their opponent. Ya'll should redirect your rage at the guy whose skillset is so shit you could replace him with a random bouncer from a nightclub.

<JagsKiddingMe>

This is the entertainment business. One guy made the choice to be utterly unentertaining; the other guy is having a horribly boring evening imposed on him, just like the audience is.

Don't misunderstand me it IS fucking boring. I'm saying get mad at Lewis for being so shit that he gets held down easily by Almeida and giving up mount every time without a fight. Don't get mad at Almeida

You want us to be mad at Derrick Lewis for not inventing a time machine and going back in time to spend his youth training BJJ and wrestling so that he can keep someone as good as Almeida off of him?

I'm not mad at Almeida for winning that way, he took the path of least resistance against a short notice opponent with a different style than what he was training for. There would have been a lot of grappling against Blaydes. Plus Derrick Lewis isn't known for his ground game, other than his ability to just stand up and power out of positions with brute strength.

My expectation was a first round sub from Jailton but I think the size and strength difference is what led to him being apprehensive in trying to posture up and throw strikes or lose position going for a sub. When Lewis briefly got on top and landed some ground and pound in the 3rd (?) it looked dangerous. Given how dominant Almeida's HW wins have been I think people ignore that he was at LHW before. Against some guys like Volkov, Pavlovich, Gane, and Aspinall hes gonna be 25 or 30 pounds lighter. Its hard to control bigger guys with a grappling heavy approach.

People wanting him to get stood up from mount is hilarious.
I don't know about that. If they are just laying there for long periods of time, they should get stood up no matter what. The ref needed to make him work more if he was going to not stand them up.

Almeida can probably keep a large portion of the grapple free HW division down in a similar way, but he won't win the title without some more finishing skills.

Yeah, him being cut is a ridiculous take.

Not a memorable fight in terms of excitement, but he did what he needed to do.

Not going to lie and say I'm frothing at the mouth to see his next fight though.
Would it help if we signed him up for classes at Gracie JJ?

100% agree, is a Dominant position worth anything if you doing nothing with it. It's high level stalling

Yup, I gotta admit though I enjoyed watching Black Feast get exposed for his lack of grappling

Yup, I gotta admit though I enjoyed watching Black Feast get exposed for his lack of grappling
If he doesn't have Grappling Jaiton would sub him easily like he did with Jairzinho, He have good Defensive skills and that made the fight no soo good in people eyes.

If he doesn't have Grappling Jaiton would sub him easily like he did with Jairzinho, He have good Defensive skills and that made the fight no soo good in people eyes.

Not really. Jaiton, could've completed an arm triangle a few times but he didn't out of fear of the minute chance Lewis escapes and gets in position for KO

Good grappler too scared to finish vs guy with bad grappling but ko power = boring fight

A fighter can be boring and impressive at the same time. Some people don't seem to get that. Lewis is hard to take down and harder to hold down. He has fought many grapplers and beat most of them, the only grapplers that beat Lewis in the UFC are DC, Spivak and Almeida.

Almeida tried to finish Lewis a few times but every time he got close to a submission or TKO Lewis just got up.

The fight was normal I don't really get it. Jailton showed he can go 5 rounds and Lewis showed he has amazing BJJ defence. There've been boring decisions before, at HW...

Because if he’s that dominant he should submit the guy or beat the shit out of him with ground n pound.

I like how a ton of threads always mention "real fighting" and that elite boxers would lose "cuz they can't grapple"

Then when someone effectively uses grappling to win it is boring and fan favorites are rock em sock em fighters....strange.

Loved the fight, especially the new corpse guard. Seemed pretty good.

Because this is the Ultimate Fighting Championships. Not the Ultimate Grappling Championships. If you want to watch grappling for 25 minutes, watch grappling instead of fighting. You cannot wrestle someone till they are unconscious. For that you need to a submission or some vicious strikes once you have wrested the opponent to the ground.

Which Almeida did very little of... Almeida had full mount for 21 minutes and 10 seconds. He never postured up to soften Lewis up for a sub and/or make the fight ugly enough for the ref to wave it off. What ensued, although technical, was rather boring to watch because they stalemated and we got much more wrestling than we did fighting.

Last edited:
Its not that people get upset with a grappler, its about boring grapplers who fight 95% of the time against pure standup fighters and still only manage to hold them down and win on points.

I don’t care if my opponent lays on me for every second of the three rounds, never going for a finish, or submission, and I can’t move, they cruise to a victory. It’s a part of the sport. There kickboxing for straight striking.

Back