Why did UFC got rid of Kimbo if he brings ratings? They got CM Punk for same reason.

From reading his post I think he was trying to say that Punk from all reports took training very seriously, plus he had enough cardio to go 20-30 minutes a few times a week in WWE and that is not easy.
Two biggest knocks against Kimbo was his cardio and how he took training lightly and Punk seems to be good on both.

Bringing up Cruise in a film is not a good comparison, since there are things like multiple takes and editing.
You do realize the difference I hope ;)

Hearsay and acting =/= "At least CM Punk is proven as at least an athlete".

I will give him stuntman for his WWE stuff but still significantly more actor than Athlete.

As to cardio in WWE its irrelevant as its not against a resisting opponent.

Punk is by no means a proven athlete.

They needed to free up money for CM Punk vs Green Power Ranger. Potentially the highest gate in UFC history

Hearsay and acting =/= "At least CM Punk is proven as at least an athlete".

I will give him stuntman for his WWE stuff but still significantly more actor than Athlete.

As to cardio in WWE its irrelevant as its not against a resisting opponent.

Punk is by no means a proven athlete.

You are being picayune just to be one of those "WWE are actors" guys.
A lot of cardio in WWE is far from "irrelevant".
Nobody is saying he will be great in the octagon, but the point was comparing him to Kimbo when it comes to cardio & taking training seriously is 2-0 Punk (if anybody care to think rational" ;)

You are being picayune just to be one of those "WWE are actors" guys.
A lot of cardio in WWE is far from "irrelevant".
Nobody is saying he will be great in the octagon, but the point was comparing him to Kimbo when it comes to cardio & taking training seriously is 2-0 Punk (if anybody care to think rational" ;)

It is acting.
Highly physical acting but acting.
I put it up there with disney on ice levels of cardio.

Look I am not saying he is hopeless but putting him in the same sentance as "proven" and "Athlete" is just laughable.

Dude is totally unproven in any competitive endevour.

It is acting.

Look I am not saying he is hopeless but putting him in the same sentance as "proven" and "Athlete" is just laughable.

Wrasslin has "rest holds". The do a couple moves, slap on a chinlock or something, talk for a while, do a couple more moves.

The UFC can't afford all the fighters.... er, aren't willing to pay, which is the same difference.

It is acting.

I am not saying you are 100% wrong. I am saying what I thought the poster was trying to say.
Compared to Kimbo (which was the comparison), Punk has never gassed in wrestling (when others from MMA tried to do pro-graps and had issues) and seems to take training serious (enough to move to Milwaukee so he could do 2 a days, 6 days a week).
Again, that does not make him an MMA success, but he will look much better than Kimbo.

Toney was only for one fight, Punk will likely only get one or two fights too if he looks bad (which he will). The UFC will put on the odd freak show (Royce vs Hughes), but they rarely keep the fighter around for longer then one or two fights

Wrasslin has "rest holds". The do a couple moves, slap on a chinlock or something, talk for a while, do a couple more moves.

Yep, that is why there is a documented history of how severe the injuries are in wrestling.
its rest holds and talking lol

You might dislike and who cares, but don't be ignorant.
Most guys work there asses off.
There is a reason why MMA guys that tried like Chael, Rampage, Mo, etc. quit early on.
It is fucking tough to do, man.

He ducked McSweeney and lost to green Mitrione.

Because They knew leg kicks would destroy him he had no cartilage left in his knees....that said they could have used kimbo alot longer....what's a bigger story then a youtube street fighter making it to the ufc. Shit they should do cm punk vs Kimbo but kimbo doesn't train anymore because he still gets bread regardless.

UFC doesnt want a total freak show lol. Only sometimes. Lots of grey area.

The UFC can use them on occasion as a bump. The UFC doesn't make freak shows their bread and butter like Bellator does. Unfortunately it seems without them Bellator won't survive.

You can't say "because they wanted to look legitimate", because that doesn't even sound right when you think about the UFC and Dana White. CM Punk, Toney etc. prove that.

You cannot say that he was too weak to fight in the UFC either. They could match him up with bums for the rest of his life and he would still bring them money. Look at Bellator.
Even if he lost 5 in a row, so what, as long as he brings in the money, they wouldn't care if you like it or not, we can see it right now. If they don't want to cut someone they won't and you can't do shit about it.

Kimbo lost just 1 fight and got cut, makes little sense to me looking back on it now.

edit: UFC should have brought top 500 guy to fight Kimbo and just make money and make him a star out of fighting bums. He got himself to be a start by fighting bums in the first place, let's not forget that! lol! Nobody would care.

The answer is really simple. They signed Kimbo because of ratings, but he had to show he was a good fighter to stick around, and he didn't do that. The same will be true of Punk. If he can't win a fight or at least demonstrate enough skill that he could plausible win a second fight, he'll be gone very quickly.

Popularity can get you opportunity in the UFC, but that opportunity is fleeting if you can't win fights.

The UFC can use them on occasion as a bump. The UFC doesn't make freak shows their bread and butter like Bellator does. Unfortunately it seems without them Bellator won't survive.

Did you see that Coker is considering 3 minute rounds for the freak show type fights?

Did you see that Coker is considering 3 minute rounds for the freak show type fights?

No but it doesn't surprise me. If they are going to continue to put on fights of guys not in the shape to compete they should.

I know this is going to sound crazy to most but in general I would be for 3 min rounds for all fights in the name of fighter safety. It may also reduce training camp injuries. They were talking about this in the mma insiders podcast a while back. They may have cited some commissions or studies. I generally agreed with their conclusions.

No but it doesn't surprise me. I know this is going to sound crazy to most but in general I would be for 3 min rounds for all fights for fighter safety. It may reduce training camp injuries. They were talking about this in the mma insiders podcast a while back. They may have cited some commissions or studies. I generally agreed with their conclusions.

I just think that changing the rules because your most popular fighter barely trains and has no cardio is asinine.
I am fine if Kimbo is "eh", but tried to put in the effort, but that is obviously not the case.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/coker-might-change-kimbo-type-fights-to-3-min-rds.3178135/

No but it doesn't surprise me. If they are going to continue to put on fights of guys not in the shape to compete they should.

I know this is going to sound crazy to most but in general I would be for 3 min rounds for all fights in the name of fighter safety. It may also reduce training camp injuries. They were talking about this in the mma insiders podcast a while back. They may have cited some commissions or studies. I generally agreed with their conclusions.

Nah, grapplers need time to work for subs

I just think that changing the rules because your most popular fighter barely trains and has no cardio is asinine.
I am fine if Kimbo is "eh", but tried to put in the effort, but that is obviously not the case.

If they are going to put on those fights then an extra step for the safety of the guys I am all for. I really don't think they should be putting guys in that are no condition to train let alone fight. Kimbo could hardly walk to the cage you could tell his knee was bothering him before the fight started. 3 min rounds wouldn't have helped that fight.

Like I said I would likely be in favor or it for all fights and not just the freak shows. We really do ask a lot of the fighters I think it's time we put more effort into protecting their well being.

Nah, grapplers need time to work for subs

While this is true fighter safety should come first. I would be more interested in what the fighters and commissions have to say. It would also create more rounds so judging may also improve. Each fight would have a larger sample size and lessen the effect of one poorly scored round.

If they are going to put on those fights then an extra step for the safety of the guys I am all for. I really don't think they should be putting guys in that are no condition to train let alone fight. Kimbo could hardly walk to the cage you could tell his knee was bothering him before the fight started. 3 min rounds wouldn't have helped that fight.

Like I said I would likely be in favor or it for all fights and not just the freak shows. We really do ask a lot of the fighters I think it's time we put more effort into protecting their well being.

I hear you and I agree about fighter safety.
I don't think we need 600+ fighters combined in UFC/Bellator.
If a guy cannot do 5 minute rounds, they should not be there.

I think weight cutting being addressed is a start, but having a guy that walks around at 325 cutting 60+ pounds is ridiculous and unhealthy.
They need stronger measures in place for that plus some kind of cardio test.
No way would the NFL or NBA have a player on roster that obviously cannot play his position full time.

Fair play to them. Bellator can do stuff like that because they aren't a serious MMA org. People tune in for a bit of a laugh.

Back