Why did UFC got rid of Kimbo if he brings ratings? They got CM Punk for same reason.

Kimbo has proven he cannot compete at a high level while CM Punk is an undefeated fighter, its that easy to justify

The UFC were in their Lesnar boom when they got rid of Kimbo.

They were in the lulls of 2014 when they signed CM Punk. I doubt they'd sign CM Punk in the current McGregor/Rousey era.

It also wasn't helped by Kimbo getting finished by two TUF fighters and the horrendous Houston Alexander fight.

Are you counting Nelson as a TUF fighter? Because he was a beast well before his time on tuf

Are you counting Nelson as a TUF fighter? Because he was a beast well before his time on tuf
Yes and I didn't mean to discredit him as a fighter. Same goes for Mitrione. They're both two high level heavyweights, relatively speaking. It isn't a good look for the UFC though when Kimbo gets easily beat by 2 guys from that show, after things like this

There is literally nobody he could possibly beat in the UFC HW roster, or LHW for that matter....
I imagine his "camp" are pretty choosy about who he gets in there with as well.

dana only wanted to expose kimbo as soon as he did that he let him go like trash

They should have kept him. He brings eyeballs. If he had won, then great. If he lost, then Dana could make the point of mma>street fighting.

Kimbo vs Roy Nelson would be sweet.

dana only wanted to expose kimbo as soon as he did that he let him go like trash
This. Just like James Toney. Dana always said UFC is top competition and this and that and how hardcore it is. Just because you're a top boxer and street fighter doesn't mean you can hang with the UFC. After exposing them and showing how great UFC fighters are, they got rid of them. Then, Bellator took in UFC's trash. It makes UFC look good while making Bellator look bad. This is better for the long run. It's saying UFC is for legit competition only while 2nd rate Bellator are your MMA circus.

Because he's not a good fighter. Cm punk will be cut if he starts 0-2.

They should have kept him. He brings eyeballs. If he had won, then great. If he lost, then Dana could make the point of mma>street fighting.
Kimbo vs Roy Nelson would be sweet.
he and Roy fought already on tuf

Kimbo was exposed in the ufc. Once punk gets exposed they will give him to bellator as well.

At least CM Punk is proven as at least an athlete. Kimbo was a beefy dude that had power. His fights in the UFC were embaressing and I have a feeling CM Punk will at least not look as pathetic as the picture above. Kimbo had no regards for working hard and getting any sort of cardio. He stopped learning after figuring out how to take someone down if he needed but after using all his power to do that he was gassed. Basically if Kimbo's opponent survived past the first three minutes it was going to be a horrible fight.

How? I thought Punk had no athletic background and the only thing he had going for him was WWE.

because kimbo was embarrassingly bad. and punk will be as well.

if he looks as bad as expected, they'll cut him after the first fight. if he can somehow manage to hold his own, maybe they'll entertain the idea of a second fight but i doubt it will happen.

I think they played their hand wrong when it came to him. On TUF, they had him fight right away (first episode if I remember correctly) and they put him against the best guy on the show, who was also a veteran.
After the show, they gave him Alexander (who had lost 3 in a row but was still a big name for someone who had 4 total fights and lost his only fight on TUF).
It was a pitiful fight and Kimbo was then on thin ice.
His final fight was a guy people thought was beatable in Mitrione, who turned out to be a pretty serviceable fighter.
Then he was gone. So he lost to two pretty good HWs and 'beat' a decent name guy.
I'm not sure they wanted Kimbo to succeed and when he didn't they were quick to turn on him.
If they matched him up better to give him a couple of winnable fights, they could have rode the gravy train a little longer and I think they missed out on a really good opportunity.
He would have never amounted to much but the UFC could have used him better than Bellator is right now...

There's almost no one kimbo can beat in the UFC Hw why keep him around for ? he got knocked out by a TUF reject who also couldn't cut it in the UFC what do yo think is going to happen to him if he keep fighting in the UFC. There is no one like Ken shamrock and dada 6000 in the UFC for kimbo to beat up on.

The UFC were in their Lesnar boom when they got rid of Kimbo.

They were in the lulls of 2014 when they signed CM Punk. I doubt they'd sign CM Punk in the current McGregor/Rousey era.

It also wasn't helped by Kimbo getting finished by two TUF fighters and the horrendous Houston Alexander fight.

Very interesting point.
Add in the amount of criticism and his setbacks and they might be regretting it!

When they signed Punk or whatever his name is ( is he fighting as cm punk or under a real name .... if he ever fights ) Gsp had just retired , Anderson had lost , headliners were dropping out of fights left right and center and buys were down as a result, it was a desperate cash grab , they probably hoped to get one big ppv out of him .

But you're right , there isn't a whole lot of difference

Back