Why did UFC got rid of Kimbo if he brings ratings? They got CM Punk for same reason.

Kwic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
You can't say "because they wanted to look legitimate", because that doesn't even sound right when you think about the UFC and Dana White. CM Punk, Toney etc. prove that.

You cannot say that he was too weak to fight in the UFC either. They could match him up with bums for the rest of his life and he would still bring them money. Look at Bellator.
Even if he lost 5 in a row, so what, as long as he brings in the money, they wouldn't care if you like it or not, we can see it right now. If they don't want to cut someone they won't and you can't do shit about it.

Kimbo lost just 1 fight and got cut, makes little sense to me looking back on it now.

edit: UFC should have brought top 500 guy to fight Kimbo and just make money and make him a star out of fighting bums. He got himself to be a start by fighting bums in the first place, let's not forget that! lol! Nobody would care.

Last edited:
They used him up and spit him out.

The fight with Houston was an embarrassment. They cut him and now Coker can deal with embarrassments like that--in fact, Kimbo vs Dada was worse. At least Punk hasn't embarrassed himself and the UFC yet. He won't be getting more than 2 fights if he puts on shit performances. Luckily, due to his weight class, it's highly unlikely Punk makes us sit through 3 round gasfests. More likely he just gets TKOed in 1 round. Not nearly as bad as 15 minutes of torture.

Cause he got exposed by Mitrione

and his fights suck if they go longer than 3 minutes

72rck6.gif

The UFC were in their Lesnar boom when they got rid of Kimbo.

They were in the lulls of 2014 when they signed CM Punk. I doubt they'd sign CM Punk in the current McGregor/Rousey era.

It also wasn't helped by Kimbo getting finished by two TUF fighters and the horrendous Houston Alexander fight.

CM Punk has done absolut 0 matches, so I really don't see how he effect ratings :/

I don't disagree with you guys, but it's not like the UFC cares about that too much. They make joke decisions all the time.
It's very clear they love the money and Kimbo would bring it if they gave him the right fights.
It's mindblowing to me that they just threw the money away. It's unlike UFC to me.

UFC doesnt want a total freak show lol. Only sometimes. Lots of grey area.

Like HHJ said, they milked him for everything he was worth at the time. Since he lost to Nelson on TUF they made every sneak look to the next episode a teaser on him getting back in there. They gave him Meathead and he got torn apart so they got rid of him. Kimbo served his purpose.

The UFC milked him dry.

Plus what bums can he fight? You just saw the spectacle of Kimbo x DADA 5000 which was fucking amazing imo (I finally got to smoke a bit for the first time in almost 2 years so I was having the time of my life). Theres literally no bums he can look good against.

He almost got finished by Shamock before that. Any bum you give him can hang with him and possibly beat him.

At this point, theres nothing the UFC could benefit from with Kimbo.

The UFC were in their Lesnar boom when they got rid of Kimbo.

They were in the lulls of 2014 when they signed CM Punk. I doubt they'd sign CM Punk in the current McGregor/Rousey era.

It also wasn't helped by Kimbo getting finished by two TUF fighters and the horrendous Houston Alexander fight.

Yes I think you nailed it. I was thinking the same thing just now.
And yes, they fucked up by bringing Kimbo to TUF.

You can't say "because they wanted to look legitimate", because that doesn't even sound right when you think about the UFC and Dana White. CM Punk, Toney etc. prove that.

You cannot say that he was too weak to fight in the UFC either. They could match him up with bums for the rest of his life and he would still bring them money. Look at Bellator.
Even if he lost 5 in a row, so what, as long as he brings in the money, they wouldn't care if you like it or not, we can see it right now. If they don't want to cut someone they won't and you can't do shit about it.

Kimbo lost just 1 fight and got cut, makes little sense to me looking back on it now.

Because the UFC was never interested in Kimbo the fighter. They were interesting in breathing new life into TUF, which sort of happened. He had a pretty shameful showing against Houston Alexander, and it only served to bring about the ridicule that he was even on the roster. Then when he got flatlined by Mitrione they determined that the ride was over, and tossed him.

At the time, fighting Houston Alexander and Matt Mitrione WAS being matched up with bums. Mitrione had fought 3 times prior to fighting Kimbo, and lost one of those to James McSweeny of all people. Houston had been in a funk where he was 1-3 in his last 4.

Like HHJ said, they milked him for everything he was worth at the time. Since he lost to Nelson on TUF they made every sneak look to the next episode a teaser on him getting back in there. They gave him Meathead and he got torn apart so they got rid of him. Kimbo served his purpose.

The UFC milked him dry.

Plus what bums can he fight? You just saw the spectacle of Kimbo x DADA 5000 which was fucking amazing imo (I finally got to smoke a bit for the first time in almost 2 years so I was having the time of my life). Theres literally no bums he can look good against.

He almost got finished by Shamock before that. Any bum you give him can hang with him and possibly beat him.

At this point, theres nothing the UFC could benefit from with Kimbo.

I feel you, but at the same time, he would still bring a lot more interest than at least 80% of the current UFC roster.
They could match him up with some bum that is top200 even, just bring him in to lose to Kimbo.
But as the other guy said, they weren't as much in need for the money back then if they had Lesnar.

I feel you, but at the same time, he would still bring a lot more interest than at least 80% of the current UFC roster.
They could match him up with some bum that is top200 even, just bring him in to lose to Kimbo.
But as the other guy said, they weren't as much in need for the money back than if they had Lesnar.

I see where you're coming from. He does have draw and star power left, even after that spectacle people will still tune in and watch him.

Its going to be hard to find someone to look bad as DADA and Shamrock though, even when you think of some of the godawful HW's that were in the UFC. I'm down to watch him wherever and whoever he fights honestly lol.

But as the other guy said, they weren't as much in need for the money back than if they had Lesnar.

but they just did that!
Coker is even thinking about letting Kimbo fight 3min rounds.

but they just did that!
Coker is even thinking about letting Kimbo fight 3min rounds.
Bellator did that :) Not the UFC. UFC should have done that when they had Kimbo and just make money and make him a star out of fighting bums. He got himself to be a start by fighting bums in the first place, let's not forget that! lol! Nobody would care.

UFC will give you a chance if you can bring ratings but they cant keep you forever if you lose.

Cause he got exposed by Mitrione

and his fights suck if they go longer than 3 minutes

72rck6.gif

At least CM Punk is proven as at least an athlete. Kimbo was a beefy dude that had power. His fights in the UFC were embaressing and I have a feeling CM Punk will at least not look as pathetic as the picture above. Kimbo had no regards for working hard and getting any sort of cardio. He stopped learning after figuring out how to take someone down if he needed but after using all his power to do that he was gassed. Basically if Kimbo's opponent survived past the first three minutes it was going to be a horrible fight.

I think they gave him a fair crack....though he had it rough having to fight nelson in the tuf house right from the get go. He didnt do himself any favors with the houston fight either.

always thought they should have kept him around. He's still a big draw and interesting to watch. They could have matched him up with guys like Herschel Walker or even have Bisping move up for a payday. There's still money to be made off the guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back