Why did the UFC try to kill soccerkick MMA??

It's pretty obvious that the plan was simply to kill competition.

I think there's a very good chance that American audiences (once exposed to the product Pride was delivering) would consider the UFC product Weak by comparison not to mention the way that UFC fighters were being eaten alive by their pride counterparts in crossover matches

The fact is people love hardcore action and there's nothing more hardcore than a soccer kick to a downed opponent

I personally do not believe that these kicks carry any more Force than a head kick however they are more frightening to an American audience who simply doesn't understand the kicking game the way Asian and Latin American combat athletes do

I think another major factor was the UFC was terrified of the fact that Americans were being heavily outclassed in Combat Sports overall and in the octagon and they knew the athletes from latin America and Asia were much more talented at using these types of strikes

They knew in order for the sport to survive in the United States they needed All American Champions and this was unlikely to happen if they continue to allow these types of strikes

It's my firm opinion that the UFC did everything in its power to encourage American Champions as this gave their sport the best chance of survival in the American Market

Soccer kick MMA is becoming more and more rare

It's clear the UFC had some big plans when they purchased pride

The million-dollar question is what were those plans??

What is the future of soccerkick MMA??

If you could still soccer kick a downed opponent, MMA would have never grown. Plain and simple. Normal people just don't want to see it and no politician wants to sanction it. Only Rizin and OneFC still allow it to any degree and if they want to grow, they'll have to ban it eventually. Shit, most of today's fighters don't want to use it. It's miracle no died or got their neck or eye socket broken.

roger-huerta-soccer-kick.gif
I hated seeing that, Roger huerta getting fucked up by something you'd see a smackhead do, there's nothing skillfull there.

Do any of you really believe that a head kick is more dangerous if your opponent is down?

No. But 90% of the time soccer kicks land is when a guy is already rocked and semi defenseless. There’s just too much potential danger in my opinion.

I recall reading that they were banned to avoid necks being broken against cage walls

The casuals wouldn’t want to see it...
tumblr_mj4egvVay41ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Soccer kicks and knees to grounded opponents will end wrestlers, and if you take away the fence, then wrestlers will further get exposed.

I'm for soccer kicks, but can accept a ban with one exception. If somebody shoots at you, you should be allowed to kick the guy's head clean off. The latter isn't physically possible, but kicking somebody who shoots for your legs is a defensive move. There should be some leeway.

In hockey it's called suicide pass. It means you pass a teammate who is in a compromising position. You cannot check a player who doesn't have the puck. That's interference. While Eller got to pay for his teammate's shitty pass, he did became an open target once he got the puck. And he's fine.

If hockey can differentiate, so can MMA.
knockout_medium.gif

bloodontheice2_medium.gif

PRIDE was missing elbows.
UFC is missing knees on the ground, soccer kicks and stomps + 12-6 elbows.
I disagree that 12-6 elbows and stomps should be allowed. Just too dangerous.

I think there's a very good chance that American audiences (once exposed to the product Pride was delivering) would consider the UFC product Weak by comparison not to mention the way that UFC fighters were being eaten alive by their pride counterparts in crossover matches

The fact is people love hardcore action and there's nothing more hardcore than a soccer kick to a downed opponent

I personally do not believe that these kicks carry any more Force than a head kick however they are more frightening to an American audience who simply doesn't understand the kicking game the way Asian and Latin American combat athletes do

I think another major factor was the UFC was terrified of the fact that Americans were being heavily outclassed in Combat Sports overall and in the octagon and they knew the athletes from latin America and Asia were much more talented at using these types of strikes

They knew in order for the sport to survive in the United States they needed All American Champions and this was unlikely to happen if they continue to allow these types of strikes

It's my firm opinion that the UFC did everything in its power to encourage American Champions as this gave their sport the best chance of survival in the American Market

What crossover matches?

Chuck KO'd Reem and lost to Rampage.

Rico-Nog was basically a wash.

Coleman won the GP after dropping 3 straight to end his UaFC run.

That’s not up to the UFC. It’s the commissions.

Real MMA NHB fighting is pretty much dead, we are left with a watered down, diet-lite Unified point-fighting competition

For many real MMA fighting with soccers, stomps, knees to the head on the ground, upkicks to the face from guard, is just too strong of a taste - Pride and mid-One FC was the perfect balance, once One took out soccer kicks, I was less interested but at least they have knees to the head on the ground. I think Rizen is the only major org with soccer kicks legal.

Its not that Unified-based contests we now see are bad, its just that they are not as awesome, and absolutely restrict the diversity and dynamics that a full NHB contest provides. Fighters and fighting styles are also much more 'cookie cutter' to those that best suit what scores well in the Unified System, as are the strategies for fighting

Because they were based in the US where it was not allowed and couldn't get started in Japan in the aftermath of the Pride sale.

All knees and kicks on the ground should be legal
Only banned due to public perception and an american wrestling biased rule set

Do you want a freak show, or do you want a sport?

The casuals wouldn’t want to see it...
tumblr_mj4egvVay41ry1rm7o1_250.gif
He should have been DQ’d for holding the rope. No skill involved in that whatsoever.

Soccer kick MMA is becoming more and more rare

It's clear the UFC had some big plans when they purchased pride

The million-dollar question is what were those plans??

What is the future of soccerkick MMA??

I will never forgive the pink goof for killing Pride. Ever. They could've kept it as a separate organization as they'd promised.

Head stomps and soccer kicks are barbaric and require no skill any bum can stomp or kick someone in the head who is on the ground.

Notorious head stompers like Shogun and Wanderlei were exposed as average fighters when they came to the UFC. Wanderlei was 5-6 in the UFC and 6-8 if you include his early UFC fights. He also lost in both occasions when he fought Bellator.

Shogun's most notable wins in the UFC were Lyoto (I'll give him that) and Tyson Pedro?, Brandon Vera? Shogun is the most overrated fighter of all time. He came to the UFC at 26 years old, got embarrassed by Forrest Griffin, manhandled by a young Jon Jones and stopped brutally by the likes of Anthony Smith, OSP an Dan Henderson. Shogun and Wanderlei fucking suck and no one can convince me otherwise

Back