Why did the UFC try to kill soccerkick MMA??

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
Soccer kick MMA is becoming more and more rare

It's clear the UFC had some big plans when they purchased pride

The million-dollar question is what were those plans??

What is the future of soccerkick MMA??

the image of it. knees to grounded opponent 100% should be in unified. soccer kicks, sure. stomps will never happen

Too brutal for the lack of skill required

Promotions didn't kill soccer kicks, the commissions don't allow those kinds of strikes. One FC used to allow them and then realized they probably shouldn't, and then came back around I think. I can't keep track any more to be honest. But Rizin allows them and so do several other eastern orgs.

Promotions didn't kill soccer kicks, the commissions don't allow those kinds of strikes. One FC used to allow them and then realized they probably shouldn't, .

roger-huerta-soccer-kick.gif

It was anti-Brasil move. We all know soccerkicks of brasilian fighters are on another level.

PRIDE was missing elbows.
UFC is missing knees on the ground, soccer kicks and stomps + 12-6 elbows.

It was this footage that ultimatley decided it.It looked like a move thats going to break someones neck one day.

I miss the move but,i can see why that footage made em rethink.

Do any of you really believe that a head kick is more dangerous if your opponent is down?

I don't know what the official reason was, but i know one thing: soccer kicks (from somebody who played soccer and has the technique halfway down) are devastating in the force they produce. Honestly, the nastiest rear-leg-headkicks aren't nearly as powerful as a clean executed soccer kick would be.

EDIT: I'm speaking mostly of soccer kicks with about 1 step of startup. The difference in force from a soccer kick while standing and a soccer kick with 1 step of startup is insane.

Last edited:
Do any of you really believe that a head kick is more dangerous if your opponent is down?

More dangerous, not necessarily, but a lot easier to land, and a lot harder to defend. You have to keep in mind, when it comes to getting MMA sanctioned, which is essential to the growth of the sport in the US, perception is every bit as important as reality.

The big reason is the are obviously always used on a downed opponent. Late punches are bad enough, they don't want someone stomping on an unconscious persons head or someone gets a running soccer kick while they're already out.

It's not a fight to the death. I'd be ok with knees to a downed opponent bc they serve a practical purpose in stopping ppl just diving for a pathetic single attempt. Not many would go for a knee if they have a free shot, usually punch or kick.

Back