Why did GSP tap so fast against Matt Hughes?

Yeah, guys who go in front of the world, test themselves, become the best ever in their weight division and a two time champ probably don't have that much mental fortitude and toughness.

Imagine what GSP could have accomplished being mentally tough?

Well, if he really pushed himself he might have reached the standard of toughness needed to post on Sherdog, though I wouldn't bet on it.

GSP botched that one. If he pinched his knees together instead of spreading them he almost definitely would have finished that armbar
There was some discussion a while back about whether GSP let up because he didn't want to break Hardy's arm, or if he made some kind of technical mistake and screwed up the sub. I'm pretty sure GSP is on record saying he screwed up.

gsp is a deadbeat dad https://mmaimports.com/2017/01/cana...has-a-2-5-year-old-child-and-a-secret-family/
ImportantRingedArmyant-size_restricted.gif
I heard that bigfoot was spotted recently too. I read it in a tabloid.

It was on deep and Hughes is strong enough to rip it off

Instinct I think, Matt transitioned to the armbar quick, GSP probably at that moment forgot he only had seconds left to the end of the round, and he didn't want to risk injury. I take GSP as a very smart fighter, when he knows he's licked he'd rather tap and save himself unnecessary damage.

He probably didn't realize there was only 1 second left

Inexperience. That’s something you do when training. I know because I’ve never trained a day in my life.

I’d say he was a smart fighter but I don’t know if I’d characterize him as mentally tough.
Greatest WW champ ever
Got KO’d came back to whoop everyone for years
Tore his ACL reclaimed the belt
Took 4 years off, came back to win the MW belt

GSP is strong as fuck mentally..

This! Most sane fighters hesitate to break limbs and try to force a tap instead. That is why we don't see more gruesome subs. Few people can do that to another human without hesitation. Matt can.
I'm pretty sure Matt got the TKO over Royce at UFC 60 because he didn't want to break his arm with the armlock, after realizing Royce would never tap.

Here we go the goofy brigade of gsp apologists have thrown around every excuse in the book and the obligatory " he beat him twice after this". The reason gsp tapped was because Hughes was in his prime as was Georges. When Georges finally beat him, matt was almost 40 and past his prime.

I’d say he was a smart fighter but I don’t know if I’d characterize him as mentally tough.

The fuck are you talking about. Getting knocked down hard/taking a beating and still winning that fight is the epitome of mentally tough. GSP has proven that several times.

Not a GSP fanboy myself but credit is due. He's earned it.

I'm pretty sure Matt got the TKO over Royce at UFC 60 because he didn't want to break his arm with the armlock, after realizing Royce would never tap.
I don't think Matt felt it was much of a fight at all.

The fuck are you talking about. Getting knocked down hard/taking a beating and still winning that fight is the epitome of mentally tough. GSP has proven that several times.

Not a GSP fanboy myself but credit is due. He's earned it.

Why do a fighters fanbase get so butthurt over any type of criticism?

I think he has more of an athletes mentality than a fighters. He’s tapped out quickly on more than one occasion and I don’t see him having the same end-all attitude that other fighters do. He taps when he loses control or he’s in a compromising situation. There’s a difference. He’s gotten heat for it in the past and whether he deserves it or not us up to the individual. There’s no coming from behind to win for those types of fighters. I don’t blame him for tapping when it’s over, I’d do the same, but I don’t consider his ability to compete as some kind of confirmation.

GSP, Fedor, Anderson and Usman all tapped. Jones and Khabib might have won fights they shouldn't have... DJ just got sent to the moon. Cormier has been knocked out and cried. Ngannou and Stipe lost in lackluster performance. Nunes lost to Cat... Is there a top 10 legend a 2021 gimmick Account can't shit on??? Not like this is a fight and anything can happen on any given night...

- GSP is the only GOAT candidate who tapped to strikes in his first title defense

- GSP fans always try to bring up other legends to ridicule in an attempt to shift the spotlight from GSP

- GSP made a big deal about peds in the UFC before losing to Hendricks and "retiring" to flee the rematch

It was a simple decision: lose the fight and have a broken arm afterward, or lose the fight and not have a broken arm afterward.

It looked like he tapped when Hughes grabbed his arm and didn't even have it locked in place, there was also 1 second left and he didn't even hold out a few seconds. Was GSP a heartlet? He always seemed like a mentally tough guy to me

Well lets break this done...

1) GSP wouldn't have known the round time..

2) it was a slick explosive counter something GSP probably didnt experience much up to that point..BJJ game was just developing still

3) hughes was cranking that to break it...if he held on his arm would of snapped...shit was tight..

4) dont believe...let me armbar you and tell me how youd just hang on...clearly youve never been armbared by surprise before

Back