Why aren't black eyes more common in MMA?

giphy.gif
I'm really curious what the story is here.
I really have no clue ... but I like it :)

You need a thread with pictures of fighters a day or two after the fight.

Yeah they do, i've seen enough vale tudo fights and real life fights to know that you're wrong

Um ok.. I've had dozens of black eyes from boxing and what people think of as a "black eye" - not massive hemorrhaging giving off a dark blue appearance over a lump, like the picture of Carano above - is usually formed a few days after the bruising.

Dunno why but I read title as, "Why aren't black guys more common in MMA?"

To which I was going to post:

The one that really confuses me is black guys playing baseball. You mean there's black kids growing up somewhere that are playing baseball and not basketball like so many others?
Sounds like you don't get out much.

Despite getting kicked and punched in the face for a living, its been a long while since I've seen a fighter with a proper shiner. It's usually just cuts, swelling and the occasional bruise around the face but hardly ever a black eye. I wonder why they're so uncommon in MMA, but people seems to always walk away with one of them in street fights.

Does this count as a black eye(s)?

0713-rory-macdonald-twitter-4.jpg

cung-le-face-2.jpg

gsp.jpg

Because the level of striking is much higher in MMA than in boxing or kickboxing or muay thai.
Boxers are B(lack eye)-level athletes.

Um ok.. I've had dozens of black eyes from boxing and what people think of as a "black eye" - not massive hemorrhaging giving off a dark blue appearance over a lump, like the picture of Carano above - is usually formed a few days after the bruising.

It all depends on the size of the blood vessels that get damaged. Light/normal bruising comes from damage to tiny capillaries and can take a while before you see the leaked blood cells in skin. Damage to larger blood vessels has a much more immediate visible effect.

Both are still referred to as black eyes. That picture of Nick Diaz somebody posted is a really good illustration of why people use the word "shiner" to refer to really bad black eyes.

Google image search "UFC black eyes" if you really want to see some so bad.
There are plenty.

Back