Why are UFC Flyweights Disrespected?

Don't know. I wouldn't even say it's because the division's shallow, it could be better but it's not a weak division. It consistently produces great fights. I guess it's because of the lack of name value.

Figueiredo is arguably the most exciting fighter to watch out of all the champions, but no one knows him.

When Mighty Mouse was here I was like, “no one gives a shit about flyweights, I’m not gonna buy a PPV just for MM” and then when they were trying to get rid of the flyweights I was like “wait I was taking flyweights for granted :(“ and now that they are back I’m like “I am not gonna buy a PPV for Figueredo”

I am the problem

I think there's the perception (mostly true) that the big boys could crush an opponents' skull at any moment while the smaller guys, though quick as hell, don't have the same proportional KO power. If HWs go the distance it's because they have great chins, while if FW it's because they lack punching power. It's not fair, nor is it necessarily correct. But I confess I sometimes go in with the same preconceived notion.

Traditionally the lighter global fighters have been better than the ufc’s. Casuals dont really take them seriously. I for one love the lighter divisions, usually much more skill and more entertaining, even into the later rounds.

Something I'm genuinely curious of.. Did our post counts get lowered? These numbers seem off.

too much nonames.

Agreed. The champ's previous 2 fights were on the undercard. (I think, tell me Im wrong)

I'm too lazy to check, but I'd bet, a lot of DJ's opponents were on the undercard before fighting for the title.

I've seen top ranked 125 fights on prelims, under -5 ranked women. The division is promoted like a B division. We've been taught these guys are not the same.

I love the fly weight division personally .
DJ is one of my all time favourite fighters .
I wish the UFC kept fighters like horigucci etc because guys like him are so exciting to watch and add needed depth to the division .
the LHW and HW divisions to me are the most boring .

I think there's the perception (mostly true) that the big boys could crush an opponents' skull at any moment while the smaller guys, though quick as hell, don't have the same proportional KO power. If HWs go the distance it's because they have great chins, while if FW it's because they lack punching power. It's not fair, nor is it necessarily correct. But I confess I sometimes go in with the same preconceived notion.
absolutely not.
if HW's make it past the 1st round i almost always assume its going the distance just because 95% of the biggens only have 1 round of cardio. the 2nd and 3rd rounds are hands on knees, groin strike breaks, and hugging it out
mostly

I think it's a combination of things. At one time the division was full of guys around 5'3/5'4 and they looked really tiny compared to other divisions. They are still obviously small but I believe the height of the top 10 on average is higher than in the past. It seems like the average is like 5'5 now and there's a couple guys 5'6 or taller. Yes, I do actually believe this affects people's opinions on them lol,

There's still some people who think they don't finish fights but I think more people are realizing the finishing rate is not as bad as they thought it was.

The division is not the deepest but it has a good roster of talented fighters. It will continue to get better.

Well there’s the stigma of them being little guys, which makes some be unable to take it seriously. Also, it got off to a bad start by having a dominant, boring champion from the get go. DJ basically cleaned out the division and gave the perception it was weak. Then the UFC dismantled it mostly, and now is rebuilding, but missing a lot of the best fighters. But people should pay attention, Figueiredo alone is worth keep an eye on the division for, dude comes to bang every time.

I can't use the excuse that I will beat 125 er in a fight since Figgy is bigger than me most likely.
I am 5'7 and 150 lbs
Pretty sure Figgy or even Cejudo have bigger Walk arround weight

the same reason people don`t like wmma,the standard is low
and for me its hard to take midgets seriously,cant argue about their skills due

Back