Why are UFC Flyweights Disrespected?

Its not highly regulated. Also if they were armed it would be much easier for them to hurt you. Size matters less when all you have to do is aim and fire.

Well no shit being armed is an advantage, but I’m sure my trusty M4 is better than anything they’re packing

Yeah, and also I dont think its impossible for a small, athletic, trained guy to beat an average sized (or maybe even a little above average) guy. That was the whole principle martial arts were based on. Now as a manlet myself, im not saying size doesnt matter, because it does. A lot. But its not an advantage that is impossible to overcome.

I'm with you, but personally, I think the argument means nothing.

There are weight classes, to minimize the effect of size in all combat sports. Even high level BJJ. It's about the martial arts and fighter's approach.

Fighting at 125 and fighting at 205+ are almost different sports. Do heavyweights even put in hooks when taking the back?

I guess because they are small men. Personally I think the speed and technical levels these small guys possess is always interesting to watch.

I'm with you, but personally, I think the argument means nothing.

There are weight classes, to minimize the effect of size in all combat sports. Even high level BJJ. It's about the martial arts and fighter's approach.

Fighting at 125 and fighting at 205+ are almost different sports. Do heavyweights even put in hooks when taking the back?

Yeah your right.

Don't know about that. It's well known that Edgar barely cut any weight at 155 and he was very successful there. Most flyweights have a heavier walk around weight then Edgar used to have back then. A good 155er beats a good 125er. But an inferior 155er mauling an elite 125er like Demetrious or Cejudo? I think not!
Oh it's not even close. You do know that weight recapture from water-loading is about 10% over a period of one day? So It doesn't matter if say Figueiredo walks around at 165, in the process of cutting to 125, he can only recapture 10% which puts him around 137-138. When Edgar fought in the LW division, at least he would walk into the ring between probably 155-160. So that fighter would be giving up 20 pounds on what Edgar was already giving up, which would be about 15 pounds on what the lightweight who went through a heavy cut would be walking into the ring at.

If you want to talk strictly walk around weights, then the "lightweights" would walk into the cage at 180-185 pounds, instead of about 170-173. Some bigger ones walk around at 190 or more.

Figueiredo is great and I love watching him fight but most flw’s don’t promote, lack charisma, and don’t finish fights. It’s just the way it is.

Because most fans/Sherdoggers can't deal with the fact that a guy much smaller can easily kick their ass
Not true. Some people just aren’t interested. I personally draw my line at 135lbs (in MMA and boxing).
My interest declines below that weight. Just a personal preference (and no disrespect).

I actually don't care they are small, BW and most FW are small also.

My problem is DJ was always fighting either nonames or rematches, Cejudo was an exciting challengue but it's hard to get excited about Tim Elliot, Wilson Heis and Cris Cariaso fighting for the belt

Last edited:
Most fans watch the sport to fantasize about large, burly men and not to watch technicallly excellent fighting.

Also the division is shallow. I love FW fights, but I genuinely couldn't tell you what the top 5 is and I couldn't name 10 current FWs.

Most fans watch the sport to fantasize about large, burly men and not to watch technicallly excellent fighting.

Also the division is shallow. I love FW fights, but I genuinely couldn't tell you what the top 5 is and I couldn't name 10 current FWs.

I think these are the top 2 reasons.

Majority of UFC fans are in for the spectacle, and the 125 division is not promoted or supplemented well.

Maybe UFC should lower the cage walls for 125 fights.

the same reason people don`t like wmma,the standard is low
and for me its hard to take midgets seriously,cant argue about their skills due

By what metric is the standard low? The flyweight division has some of the most refined skill sets in MMA. Also how seriously would you take a flywieght if you were locked in the cage with them?

I think these are the top 2 reasons.

Majority of UFC fans are in for the spectacle, and the 125 division is not promoted or supplemented well.

Maybe UFC should lower the cage walls for 125 fights.[/QUOTE
The division needs more Figueiredos

Not true. Some people just aren’t interested. I personally draw my line at 135lbs (in MMA and boxing).
My interest declines below that weight. Just a personal preference (and no disrespect).

I'm not trying to be an elitist.. but it's what I do..

This little guy is considered one of the hardest hitting and skilled p4p boxers.

Back