Why are UFC Flyweights Disrespected?

Because they're actually terrible at fighting. The best flyweights at flyweight wouldn't beat local circuit welterweights.

Little guys have never been a big draw in combat sports, not just the UFC. Historically in boxing, nobody cares about the little guys. It's changing a little bit recently with guys like Pacqiao and recent guys like Loma and Lopez. But traditionally, no one cares about the little guys.

Maybe it's just something about watching to high level athletes who are shorter than your middle schooler and weigh less than your wife. shrug.

I can't use the excuse that I will beat 125 er in a fight since Figgy is bigger than me most likely.
I am 5'7 and 150 lbs
Pretty sure Figgy or even Cejudo have bigger Walk arround weight

Then what is your reason for disrespecting the division?

Sorry TS I really like watching the munchkins fight... But, I stopped the video when the narrator said Joseph Benevidez could arguably be greater than Shogun Rua and Rashad Evans... preposterous
<{cruzshake}>

I didn't finish it either, lol. Got distracted.

But I normally enjoy this dude's videos.

Sorry TS I really like watching the munchkins fight... But, I stopped the video when the narrator said Joseph Benevidez could arguably be greater than Shogun Rua and Rashad Evans... preposterous

To me it seems obvious that Benavidez is a better fighter than the two you mention nowadays. In their primes, you could argue the point.

I didn't finish it either, lol. Got distracted.

But I normally enjoy this dude's videos.
I’ve seen a ton of his videos and their usually pretty well done, but honestly there is no sane argument for comparison that he made that Joe B could be as great as Shogun... we are talking about a guy who not only won the title in the UFC, but performed at an elite level in Pride, He quite likely held that title if his teammate wasn’t champ... additionally he is still doing it at an elite level nearly 20 years later.
<36>

To me it seems obvious that Benavidez is a better fighter than the two you mention nowadays. In their primes, you could argue the point.
Considering Joe B just fought for a title I can’t argue that point, but the context that the narrator was touching on inferred greater, meaning total body of work.

I think that true fight fans appreciate talents regardless of weight class. Remember there was a time when there was a backlash because UFC incorporated 155 class lol. So silly but it's true. It's all a matter of time before the general casual fans finally accept them.

I think people really really miss the point when they say "well the flyweights would easily beat a common presumably untrained person." This promotion is called the "ultimate fighting championship", it's meant to create "ultimate fighting champions", not "untrained fighting champions", understandably some flyweights walk around a bit heavier, but if you had them cut to 125 like they do before each fight and then walk into any MMA gym and fight the local fighters there, they'd get their butts kicked by all the regional fighters at lightweight or higher. How are those "ultimate fighting champions?" At the very least, combine BW and FLY at the heavier weight and you have a deeper division of small folk.

People who like the division like it because of the aesthetic. At such a low weight, wrestling doesn't typically work well, and fighters don't have eraser power, though they have lower force tolerances (if they fought a slightly higher weight their opponents would not have low force tolerances). As a result, the division is primarily boxing, and it's very technical compared to the higher weights, their footwork is faster and their movement is better, which gives the illusion of competency. But a fight between even a flyweight and a technically inferior lightweight would be a miserable beating.

tumblr_muqfr5dgBC1s96utdo1_250.gif

It's the smallest division and it's still pretty weak. Also the top fighters keep vacating it. If Cejudo were still there and Cody moved down people would be paying attention.

too much nonames.
But it's true Hw get a pass because they are huge but it's the worse men division by far yet 125 er are gettign shit on the most
agreed. HW has less depth compared to other divisions, but they get that pass bc at any moment one punch could KO someone. but we also get the occasional Kimbo-Dada 5000 type fights....

But a fight between even a flyweight and a technically inferior lightweight would be a miserable beating.
Don't know about that. It's well known that Edgar barely cut any weight at 155 and he was very successful there. Most flyweights have a heavier walk around weight then Edgar used to have back then. A good 155er beats a good 125er. But an inferior 155er mauling an elite 125er like Demetrious or Cejudo? I think not!

From all my experience, which is ignoring a few recommended video thumbs nails on youtube, most high level marks men are small people.

Yeah, and also I dont think its impossible for a small, athletic, trained guy to beat an average sized (or maybe even a little above average) guy. That was the whole principle martial arts were based on. Now as a manlet myself, im not saying size doesnt matter, because it does. A lot. But its not an advantage that is impossible to overcome.

Back