Why are the polynesian fighters so tough? (hawaiins, samoans etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the island dudes are just born scrappy as shit. Mark Hunt, Tavares, Holloway, BJ Penn (never even been knocked down right?) Surprising that these small islands produce so many good fighters relative to how small their populations are. There is without a doubt a certain style of fighter that comes from the islands: tough as nails, risk taking, scrappers

As far as I know, only Hunt is a true Polynesian by blood. The other guys were simply born in Hawaii. They're not Polynesians.

And to answer the question: They're tough because of genetics.

I personally know one Samoan back in high school. Dude was average height and built, 5' 8", 160lbs, but his muscles were dense as a rock. He was freakishly strong and beaten 200lbs+ guys at arm wrestling with ease.

And the crazy part was, he didn't even lift weight. All he did was smoke weed and hung out with friends.

Because tens of thousands of years ago only the strongest, hugest and most badassest mainland Asian fishermans were able to paddle all the way out to and populate the Polynesian islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The weak ones either died or settled for closer islands like Japan, Okinawa, Philippines or Taiwan...thus the size differences between all these island settlers of Asian origin.

Blows my mind that they even found the fucking things (the islands)

Such small land masses in such a vast ocean... There must have been many voyages into nowhere that led to deaths at sea :icon_sad:

U say Hawaiian but u dont mention bj penn wtf?

BJ Penn is Irish (father) and Korean (mother).

True Hawaiian are Polynesians, and Hunt is the only one on TS' list.

Soa Paleilei is another Polynesian.

Small populated placed fight constantly through growing up and into adulthood alot of the time because theres simply nothing else to do...

They are athletic and explosive asians.

Polynesians aren't "Asians." The islands are in the Pacific, but saying they're Asians is like saying Russians are Asians because Russia is located in Asia... :icon_lol:

We are talking about success in fighting organizations. Polamalu would get finished inside of two minutes by pretty much anyone in the UFC in his weight class. Is he even considered that tough by NFL standards?

this thread is a reminder i have better things to do. jesus christ.

Maybe Hollway can but that is about it, not Medieros, not Smolka, not Kimura, not Noons - who will probably lose his next couple fights and be cut - and probably not Russell Doanes. So there's only Holloway,Tavarres and Browne in terms of guys who can even hang at the UFC level and none who have been truly successful since Penn. And considering how Holloway struggled to get past his first UFC fight, I am still not sure. I would bet vcash he gets cut from the UFC along with Medieros, Smolka, Doanes and Kimura after their next 3-4 fights or so.

Smolka won't stick around i agree there. That was an utterly pathetic performance

Medieros will hang, there's not shame in getting subbed by Jim Miller, and Yancy absolutely starched Yves Edwards in his previous fight

Kimura is prelim level, and I haven't checked out Doanes. You're way off the mark with Holloway though. dude is like what 22? He will be banging at FW for a long time

this thread is a reminder i have better things to do. jesus christ.

You don't think what I said about Medieros, Smolka, Doanes and Kimura is true? None of them are likely to survive in the UFC at all. Then there is Noons, Kendall Grove and Faalaloto who cannot hang at the UFC level either. So there's Holloway, Tavarres and Browne who can hang at the UFC level at all and none who are gonna be truly successful. Again, if they are unusually tough, that toughness has not helped them at all.

Polynesians aren't "Asians." The islands are in the Pacific, but saying they're Asians is like saying Russians are Asians because Russia is located in Asia... :icon_lol:

Well, then quit calling Indians Asian then because they are Caucasian as well.

Because tens of thousands of years ago only the strongest, hugest and most badassest mainland Asian fishermans were able to paddle all the way out to and populate the Polynesian islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The weak ones either died or settled for closer islands like Japan, Okinawa, Philippines or Taiwan...thus the size differences between all these island settlers of Asian origin.

Amazing history lesson, mate.

Some sociological factors, some physiological factors, and some political factors.

Island culture is about bravery and toughness. Their body structure seems to be able to generate more power than other peoples of the same height/weight, and then "The Tough Islander" can be sold easily. It's basically more marketable.

But you have tough cowboys, tough steel workers, tough miners, tough urban youth, tough trailer-park boys, etc....

So, BJ Penn then. A sample size of one person (one person who actually was a world beater) is what we're basing this on?...and he may not even be Hawaiian??? Ok.

You don't think what I said about Medieros, Smolka, Doanes and Kimura is true? None of them are likely to survive in the UFC at all. Then there is Noons, Kendall Grove and Faalaloto who cannot hang at the UFC level either. So there's Holloway, Tavarres and Browne who can hang at the UFC level at all and none who are gonna be truly successful. Again, if they are unusually tough, that toughness has not helped them at all.

i didn't read your post about Medieros, Smolka, Doanes and Kimura. :)

Fine, but even if he tried to crossover into MMA, any UFC fighter in his weight class still runs the guy over in two minutes or less. The bias came after I saw so many Hawaiian fighters touted as prospects or future successes - Tavarres, Brown, Smolka, Kimura, Holloway, Doanes and Medieros - and see not a single one live up to their hype. And then there is the track record of the likes of Noons and Faalalaoto. That became too hard to ignore.

And many top of the line MMA fighters would fail miserably at the combine so it's apples and oranges.

So, BJ Penn then. A sample size of one person (one person who actually was a world beater) is what we're basing this on?...and he may not even be Hawaiian??? Ok.

Even with BJ Penn, I suspect his success was largely because the overall talent pool was at a much lower level than it is now and someone like him could get away with not having the greatest work ethic or training intensity. If Bj Penn at 22 years old was making a run in MMA, he could be successful but his odds of being a UFC champ in any weight class, even if he was "motivated", would be slim to none.

Just the general consensus, not you specifically.

That's simply a label.

In the UK, Indians are referred to as "Asians," whereas East Asians are referred to as "Orientals."

In the US, "Asians" mean East Asians and S. East Asians (Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back