Why America cant win International BOXING

Boxing has always been a sport for like low income inner city youths in the US.

People are getting smarter, if they had the athletic talent, they would rather try to make it in sports that gives you more of a chance of getting into college like Basketball,football, wrestling, or even track and field or volleyball.

No one wants to get their brains punched in at an early age anymore for a slim chance of making it to the big times. Instead they can get a degree and work a normal job with other college sports.

<Dany07>

You got me going pretty good in your thread about how Americans can't wrestle and folkstyle is bad for MMA, but now I'm just in it for the lulz. Whether you're trolling or retarded doesn't matter. I'm having fun either way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_at_the_1948_Summer_Olympics

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
22px-Flag_of_South_Africa_%281928%E2%80%931994%29.svg.png
South Africa (RSA)
2 1 1 4
22px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina (ARG)
2 0 1 3
22px-Flag_of_Hungary_%281946-1949%2C_1956-1957%29.svg.png
Hungary (HUN)
2 0 0 2
22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy (ITA)
1 2 2 5
22px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Czechoslovakia (TCH)
1 0 0 1
22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
Great Britain (GBR)
0 2 0 2
22px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png
Belgium (BEL)
0 1 0 1
22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden (SWE)
0 1 0 1
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281912-1959%29.svg.png
United States (USA)
0 1

@d1wrestler

America's Olympic decline in boxing is all you need to understand to fully comprehend the sports precarious future in our country

In 2016: the United States came in 5th Place

In 2012:
8th place

13th place

5th

9th

4th

Yet America still holds a narrowing lead because of the accomplishments of their forefathers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_at_the_Summer_Olympics

Modern America has largely removed combat sports from our public facilities and we no longer support them in the public school systems

this is going to result in america's declined in combat Sports proficiency because the only place we can practice them now is at the strip mall down in the old kmart plaza or at a posh concierge cucumber water gym

either way

There is no more low-cost access to Combat Sports in the United States and therefore a large portion of our population will be cut off from quality training

Last edited:
America's Olympic decline in boxing is all you need to understand to fully comprehend the sports precarious future in our country

In 2016: the United States came in 5th Place

In 2012:
8th place

13th place

5th

9th

4th

Yet America still holds a narrowing lead because of the accomplishments of their forefathers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_at_the_Summer_Olympics

Modern America has largely removed combat sports from our public facilities and we no longer support them in the public school systems

this is going to result in america's declined in combat Sports proficiency because the only place we can practice them now is at the strip mall down in the old kmart plaza or at a posh concierge cucumber water gym

either way

There is no more low-cost access to Combat Sports in the United States and therefore a large portion of our population will be cut off from quality training

You see this all through the ranks of US sports really, not just in boxing. Baseball, Football, Soccer Basketball etc. All sports at a youth level have become increasingly expensive and present barriers to entry to kids unless they have parents with enough free time and money to foot the bill and usher them along. Its tough.

Boxing's one saving grace is at least all you really need is a basement or garage and a little money and you can have your own set up.

You see this all through the ranks of US sports really, not just in boxing. Baseball, Football, Soccer Basketball etc. All sports at a youth level have become increasingly expensive and present barriers to entry to kids unless they have parents with enough free time and money to foot the bill and usher them along. Its tough.

Boxing's one saving grace is at least all you really need is a basement or garage and a little money and you can have your own set up.

There's something much larger at play that is causing Americans to have less access to low-cost Combat Sports

the bigger picture is a phenomenon called privatization

privatization is a new phenomena where a corporate entity takes over what was a publicly administered facilitiy

IE:
the city of (RANDOM NAME) Texas sold its (formally public) Community Center to a private for-profit Corporation who is much more worried about risk and profit than the city was

going forward the community center that was built by your tax dollars is now in the hands of a private Corporation that uses it to make money

Long story short America is losing access to its public parks and when your public park becomes a private for-profit Corporate Park things change on the ground because they are now looking for high-profit low-risk activities to replace the sports that your grandfather used to have access to

in this new privatized for-profit corporate model world Combat Sports become a liability that they're just not willing to tolerate

If you go into any Community Center in Muhammad Ali's Hometown and start boxing with a friend the police will show up and kick you out

Back in the fifties something like this would never happen

That's the difference I'm talking about

Last edited:
considering how much bigger America is than Britain, in the 35 years i have been watching boxing, the top British guys always outclass the Americans.

Yeah the belts get passed around Americans because there is so many of them, but there is always a British king at the end of it, Brits are just better fighters.

The only time Americans beat the better Brits or draw with them is by corrupt American judging, ie Lennox v Holyfield and Fury v Wilder 1.
U want to post your claims for that?
What British fight beat Floyd? I remember one guy he sent into the turnbuckle like a stumbling ass.

how are we going to make fighters with all this money, food, cellphones, video games, entertainment with spastic kids who stand on the corner rapping to themselves, no one wants to get hit in the face here.

U want to post your claims for that?
What British fight beat Floyd? I remember one guy he sent into the turnbuckle like a stumbling ass.

I remember Lennox thrashing all of your champions, and the ones he didn't fight ducked him.

I remember Calzaghe doing the same, plus Tyson Fury now.

British are just better fighters overall, much tougher people, the only reason there is not many MMA British champions because its a american sport, the same as Americans are dog shit at football/soccer.

Floyd is America's only claim to fame, slapping and running his way to victory.

There's something much larger at play that is causing Americans to have less access to low-cost Combat Sports

the bigger picture is a phenomenon called privatization

privatization is a new phenomena where a corporate entity takes over what was a publicly administered facilitiy

IE:
the city of (RANDOM NAME) Texas sold its (formally public) Community Center to a private for-profit Corporation who is much more worried about risk and profit than the city was

going forward the community center that was built by your tax dollars is now in the hands of a private Corporation that uses it to make money

Long story short America is losing access to its public parks and when your public park becomes a private for-profit Corporate Park things change on the ground because they are now looking for high-profit low-risk activities to replace the sports that your grandfather used to have access to

in this new privatized for-profit corporate model world Combat Sports become a liability that they're just not willing to tolerate

If you go into any Community Center in Muhammad Ali's Hometown and start boxing with a friend the police will show up and kick you out

Back in the fifties something like this would never happen

That's the difference I'm talking about

I think you’re on the right track but burying the lead. The lack of government investment in amateur boxing is part of the problem, maybe even the main part, but I think there are other factors at play.

I think part of the problem is cultural in so far as many white parents avoid putting their kids in sports where they have to directly compete with Black people. You see this even in “America’s pass time,” Football, where White dudes congregate at quarterback and non-skill positions like Lineman and avoid the athleticism and speed based positions like Receiver, Running Back, and Defensive Back.

This is also visible in basketball which is why the best white basketball players nowadays tend to be from Europe.

The College Scholarship thing is definitely part of it, as the University system and promise of a free education sucks up a lot of the athletic talent in this country, but its only part of the issue. It’s a symptom of the problem -- and not the problem itself. Tl/DR White yanks have by and largely grown soft.

The next “great white hope” American Heavyweight will likely be Hispanic.

Roy Jones and Pernell Whitaker were ok

Jones ducked Eubank, Steve Collins and Benn, refused to fight them, can't take him seriously, by the time he started fighting British guys he got beat all round the ring.

Calzaghe was the same age as him and at the end of his career, RJJ went on to have another 20 fights and fought for another 10 years.

Ok, just added them up.
America has 15 of the 68 belts.
Europe as a continent has 15 out of 68 belts. So they are tied.

Either you can' t add up, you don't know which countries are in Europe or you've just missed some.
Europe has 18 but the US does have 15 so you got that right.

Edit - I guess you're not including the Russians so they better get kicked out of UEFA and European World Cup qualification. From Wikipedia 'By population, about 110 million of the 144 million people, or 77%, live in the European part' so it's more European than Asian. In boxing they compete for European titles and fight in the amateur Europeans too.

Last edited:
Either you can' t add up, you don't know which countries are in Europe or you've just missed some.

Edit - I guess you're not including the Russians so they better get kicked out of UEFA and European World Cup qualification. From Wikipedia 'By population, about 110 million of the 144 million people, or 77%, live in the European part' so it's more European than Asian. In boxing they compete for European titles and fight in the amateur Europeans too.
What's Kazakhstan classed as? It's bad that I'm European and don't know that lol

What's Kazakhstan classed as? It's bad that I'm European and don't know that lol

Good point. I went Asia BUT they are in the European Boxing Union too so I missed some too and don't know what's in Europe either, in terms of boxing.

Good point. I went Asia BUT they are in the European Boxing Union too so I missed some too and don't know what's in Europe either, in terms of boxing.
Apparently they're both in Europe and Asia. Just looked it up

Russia is part of Asia as well as Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.
Also remember you're trying to compare a continent to one country.
Think about if we just add America and Mexico vs the World.

Russia is part of Asia as well as Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.

You're wrong, get over it. Russia is in Europe AND Asia, the bulk of their population is in Europe and in ALL sports Russia competes in Europe. Football, swimming, track and field, boxing, fencing, hand ball, think of a sport and the Russians compete in the European Championships, boxing is no exception.

Back