Who's The GOAT Gatekeeper?

Sure but never won UFC gold, and those who beat him has a titleshot in sight. Definition of a gatekeeper to me.
Eh, I respectfully disagree. Firstly, Overeem was a contender in the UFC. He earned a title shot. I also wouldn’t list a fighter who was elite throughout their career and won titles until they got older, as a gatekeeper. Eddie Alvarez has been underwhelming in ONE, but we wouldn’t say he’s a gatekeeper in general. He was a champ in multiple orgs. That’s just my thoughts on it though.

Dustin Poirier… he is like the gatekeeper for the Top3 for a long time, if you beat him you might get the title, maybe not, but he himself will never become the undisputed ufc champion of any division.
December may say otherwise

Edson Barboza is definitely up there. He beat Ige and Felder both times imo so he's only lost to elite fighters in their primes. If you beat him you're ready for a title eliminator, if not a title shot. His last two fights are typical of his career: beat a solid fringe contender in Burgos, then lost to Giga who is looking like a legit title contender.

he fought for a title and on numerous occasions was a win away from another title shot.

thats a definition of contender

a gatekeeper would be more someone like ben rothwell at the time.

never really in title contention himself, but is still a solid win that leads to title shot or title eliminator.

Eh, I respectfully disagree. Firstly, Overeem was a contender in the UFC. He earned a title shot. I also wouldn’t list a fighter who was elite throughout their career and won titles until they got older, as a gatekeeper. Eddie Alvarez has been underwhelming in ONE, but we wouldn’t say he’s a gatekeeper in general. He was a champ in multiple orgs. That’s just my thoughts on it though.

Okay i concede to you guys, Overeem is not a gatekeeper. I looked at the term of gatekeeping in a wrong way perhaps.

Okay i concede to you guys, Overeem is not a gatekeeper. I looked at the term of gatekeeping in a wrong way perhaps.
Lol all good—it’s your gatekeeper list, you can name whomever you like :)
It just feels weird to call Overeem, or someone like Hendo let’s say, a gatekeeper.

Eh, I don’t know that I agree with Nick being called a gatekeeper. Nick is a former Strikeforce and WEC champ, not really a gatekeeper to me.

He is definitely a gatekeeper as he never won a tequila cazadores spirit award.

no that's not true. It's champions, then contenders then gatekeepers. Gatekeepers are the people who aren't good enough to be in contention to fight for the title but are good enough that if you beat them then you start fighting contenders.
In the UFC? If you fight long enough, you will be a contender. Look at Bisping. Considered a gatekeeper for most of his career, gets a last minute title shot, and miraculously won.

Conor is starting his journey

bork1}

I think Gatekeeper is a temporary Title not a career Title.

Wonderboy after losing to Woodley acted as a gatekeeper to the title shot. But I wouldn't class him as a career gatekeeper.

Bisping was a gatekeeper to the top 5 for a large portion of his career but ended up winning the title.

RDA ex champ but then ended as a gatekeeper.

There are numerous examples.

sledgehammer-alister-jpg.880996

Attachments

• Sledgehammer Alister.jpg
    Sledgehammer Alister.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 8
iu

Yeah, I know she got teh gold... but then went on to become one of the most decorated gatekeepers. A win over her meant a title shot ever since.

Derek Brunson has occupied the gatekeeper role successfully for years now. if you can beat Brunson, you're ready for a shot. He plays that role perfectly.

Actually not a bad pick lol

I think Thomson might be eventually lol for ww

Back