Who's The GOAT Gatekeeper?

Wonderboy.
Although he's always been a title contender for me.

Arlovski, no one even comes close

Gustaffson
Wonderboy
Anthony Smith
Faber
Derrick Lewis

To me its someone who has fought for the belt. come up short. and just constantly stops the #5-10 ranked guys from ascending.

no that's not true. It's champions, then contenders then gatekeepers. Gatekeepers are the people who aren't good enough to be in contention to fight for the title but are good enough that if you beat them then you start fighting contenders.

Please define what "contenders" are. How do you become one and how do we know when it happens?

The first name that comes to mind is Gary Goodrige

Okami was a gatekeeper for many years

maybe not the goat but deserves some love

Please define what "contenders" are. How do you become one and how do we know when it happens?
A contender is the group above gatekeepers who fight for or are close to fighting for the title, you can debate about who is a contender (except those who fight for the title) but you said that all contenders are gatekeepers no matter how many times they fight for the title. How can you be on a combat sports forum and not know basic terminology that's been used for over a hundred years.

I have no idea how you've come to this conclusion but it's not accurate.

you said title is the "gate"...

so according to you fighting for the title, but not winning it = gatekeeper

thats a contender

gatekeeper would be a solid vet with decent record and good win on anybody's resume

you beat him and youre in title contention.

you lose to him and you either reevaluate your game or become a gatekeeper yourself and stepping stone for new prospects.

A contender is the group above gatekeepers who fight for or are close to fighting for the title, you can debate about who is a contender (except those who fight for the title) but you said that all contenders are gatekeepers no matter how many times they fight for the title. How can you be on a combat sports forum and not know basic terminology that's been used for over a hundred years.

-I never said that. You need to go back and read everything posted again.
-You still didn't clearly define what a contender was
-Stop talking down to me and acting like a cunt and fuck off if you can't.

you said title is the "gate"...

so according to you fighting for the title, but not winning it = gatekeeper

No that's according to you, which is fucking stupid.

All I said was that gatekeepers can fight for the title

No more responses from me, you're a waste of time.

When you say that the title is the gate and use a guy who fought 3 times for the title as the best example of a gatekeeper it's hard to interpret what you said in any other way. I gave you the one clear defining factor that makes a guy a contender, those who fight for the title are contenders. It's debatable when talking about the difference between a gatekeeper and contender when talking about a top 10 fighter who doesn't get a title shot.

Goat gatekeeper :

Donald Cerrone ...... as cogent/ valid as it gets.

........and the longevity nails it home

No that's according to you, which is fucking stupid.

All I said was that gatekeepers can fight for the title

No more responses from me, you're a waste of time.

so you use terminology you don't seem to understand, but then get pissed when others bring it up?

youre acting like a child...

again your definition of "gatekeeper" (title being the gate) is what others call contender.

gatekeeper is gate between contenders and pretenders

not gate between being champion and not being champion

We are talking about GOAT gatekeeper here, in which case there was one true answer, the real ones, those in the know, will know
20120505_jla_aa9_731.jpg
Yeah, Johnny Cash was a badass.

Overeem is the most decorated MMA HW in history, he’s not a gatekeeper.

Sure but never won UFC gold, and those who beat him has a titleshot in sight. Definition of a gatekeeper to me.

Sure but never won UFC gold, and those who beat him has a titleshot in sight. Definition of a gatekeeper to me.

he fought for a title and on numerous occasions was a win away from another title shot.

thats a definition of contender

a gatekeeper would be more someone like ben rothwell at the time.

never really in title contention himself, but is still a solid win that leads to title shot or title eliminator.

Back