Who's the best wizard in fantasy

Dumlbedore and Voldemort showed that magic is more than just what Harry and his buds are learning.

Harry and his crew literally learn patronus chants, expelliarmus, and stupify. The voldemort crew does those killing curses and other evil curses.

But then in the fifth movie these two literally show up and do shit that there is no way they are teaching in school.

for reference:

Very different than the battle in the book.

I remember when they had a dresden files TV show and it was shite, but the character concept is interesting. I might check the books out.

The books are considerably different than the show. They're really a lot of fun and I respect Jim Butcher's ability to do terrible things to a character and have it be permanent. The status-quo does not get reset at the end of every book.

I'd strongly recommend the series, but keep in mind that the first book was Butcher's first published novel so it's not quite as good as the ones that follow (though it was still good enough to sink its hooks into me).

Raistlin Majere hands down. Has an amazing journey, life story, and the most power.

Traveled through time to murder the wizard whom he owed his physical body, robbed him of his life force, challenged the goddess of evil to eliminate her and take her place, destroyed a pantheon of gods and an entire universe, but ended up being influenced by his twin brother at an earlier date and purposefully losing his fight with the goddess in order to save the world before he became too powerful/evil to stop himself.

The bond between him and his brother was heart wrenching as hell too.

Even before he reached his peak his power was more than any wizard I've ever read about. The dude would cause earthquakes, lightning storms, command ancient dragons, summon twisted demons too insane for the average human mind to even process, and he actually decimated an entire mountain range with a spell gone wrong, yet held his body together through sheer will. A fucking death knight bowed to him and didn't dare lift a finger against him. A death knight -- a being powerful enough to point at any living thing and say "Die!" and kill it.

He was also incredibly interesting because he was so ambitious and ended up doing some truly evil things, but every now and then he shows enough compassion to make people love him, like sacrificing himself and permitting eternal torment at the hands of the dark queen in order to save the world he knew he would destroy later on if he beat the dark queen.

Last edited:
I cant stand that guy. Wish the Bloody Nine had just put his sword through his head.

BTW anyone read Red Country yet, want to read it so bad but my cousin has got me it for Christmas.

I've read it. It's actually my least favourite of his books, although I liked it a lot. I guess amongst other things I wasn't crazy about the handling of Nicomo Cosca, who is probably my favourite Abercrombie character - he is obviously a horrible man but in the other books he has some redeeming features. Those are gone in Red Country.

Regarding Bayaz...

He's clearly not meant to be likeable. He's probably the bad guy in the books... As far as I can tell, he killed Juvens, and Khalul's quest for revenge is more or less justified. He's an authoritarian nutcase who decided that only he can safely steer the world, and will kill anyone, or indeed thousands and thousands of people, in order to get what he wants. And it is working - he controls a lot of the known world.

Part of the point of the First Law, as someone here said the other day, is this long reveal: finding out that this guy you think is Gandalf is actually Saruman.

Likeable? No. Awesome character? Yes.

wizard-of-oz%20hologram.jpg

Elminster

/thread

**EDIT** I'm glad the Sherdork demographic came through and someone already posted Elminster

**EDIT** BUT. Elminster, I believe, is based off Gandalf so....

Oh it's a fucking poll. And I was the 1st vote.

Vote people. TS must have just set it up.

Gandalf because he's gay and can control metal.

Cool topic.

Gandalf is awesome and all. But we really haven't seen all that much from him. Dumbledore did far more impressive things.

The most impressive wizardry I've read about was in The Sword of Truth. The characters did some cool things like shoot lightning and fire balls, but the most badass stuff was historical. But the main character, Richard Rahl, once entered a temple between space and time was exposed to every piece of knowledge available, allowing him to (IIRC) manipulate matter and do other crazy things.

I've been slowly reading the first book of The Wheel of Time. Hopefully it gets interesting soon. What sucks is that A Song of Ice and Fire has set such a high standard of writing for me that I get bored with other books pretty easily.

Last edited:
The problem with Richard is that he's overpowered even in his own universe. It doesn't really make any sense. It'd be like if Superman patrolled Gotham. WTF would Clayface and Mr. Freeze do against him?

Raistlin is a God in his universe and is the Fedor of their pantheon, so eff all that "this guy is a demigod" business.

If Rand is classified as a wizard (which I don't think he should be), then he takes this. The Wheel of Time universe is on a much higher power scale than other fantasy worlds. Plus, depending on your definition of "best," he may win for being a wizard that is also politically saavy, skilled in non-magic, and perhaps the most complex, especially when compared to peeps like Gandalf and Dumbledore.

Raistlin wins as far as traditional wizards, though. Or maybe Pug? I haven't read Feist in a long time. I've heard that Quick Ben is a force to be reckoned with, but I haven't read his series. Merlin should get points for being the original.

I've read it. It's actually my least favourite of his books, although I liked it a lot. I guess amongst other things I wasn't crazy about the handling of Nicomo Cosca, who is probably my favourite Abercrombie character - he is obviously a horrible man but in the other books he has some redeeming features. Those are gone in Red Country.

Regarding Bayaz...

He's clearly not meant to be likeable. He's probably the bad guy in the books... As far as I can tell, he killed Juvens, and Khalul's quest for revenge is more or less justified. He's an authoritarian nutcase who decided that only he can safely steer the world, and will kill anyone, or indeed thousands and thousands of people, in order to get what he wants. And it is working - he controls a lot of the known world.

Part of the point of the First Law, as someone here said the other day, is this long reveal: finding out that this guy you think is Gandalf is actually Saruman.

Likeable? No. Awesome character? Yes.

Red Country was good but it wasn't as good as Heroes, which was amazing.

I cant stand that guy. Wish the Bloody Nine had just put his sword through his head.

BTW anyone read Red Country yet, want to read it so bad but my cousin has got me it for Christmas.

Logen is in RC, it's worth it just for that.

Abercrombie's next books are a trilogy so that should be good.

The problem with Richard is that he's overpowered even in his own universe.

Agree. The books aren't bad I just have a hard time believing anyone had a chance against Richie Rahl

Back