Who's the best Hip Hop producer yo?

What's hilarious about Puff is all of his hit are heavy samples yet he never got that much heartburn about it back in Badboy's heyday. Biggies "one more chance remix" which is Badboy's biggest song if mem serves sampled heavily from an old James Brown tune lol.

I still listen to it too much tbh Biggie smalls rip.

98% of hip hop is samples.
Premier, Pete Rock, Dr Dre, J Dilla, all of their beats are samples.

Best ever is Dre, Premier, Pete Rock. Lord Finesse is underrated as a producer. J Dilla was good but was never considered elite until he died.

No Primo or Dilla on the poll. Shameful.

Last edited:
not sure about best but my top 5 are

premo, havoc (early stuff), necro, alchemist, and rza.

havoc, necro, and ALC are my biggest influence when it comes to how i make a beat. love the way they can flip a sample

Necro is an absolute beast on the boards. I wish he would just fucking give up that death rap shit. He's fucking what, 40 something by now still rapping for the shock value

Mike Dean is my pick. Go listen to the old Geto Boys shit and Z-Ro "Let the Truth Be Told" album for some amazing production

RZA for me. Hell...Liquid Swords alone puts him top 5 all time imo.

Poll is missing huge notables like:

Where is Statik Selektah, 9th Wonder, Pete Rock, Apollo Brown, MF DOOM, El-P, Oddisee, Black Milk, Eric B., Dopplegangaz, Premo, J Dilla I mean I could go on and on.

I'd take any of those guys up top over the cans in the poll.

Last edited:
Mike Dean is my pick. Go listen to the old Geto Boys shit and Z-Ro "Let the Truth Be Told" album for some amazing production

That Z-Ro album is most definitely his best one, and now I know why. Thanks.

How is Dj premier and Pete rock not on the list?

Up from my nap. Just remembered Wyclef Jean should get some hespect. his work on both carnivals and the score was solid. Jazzy pha, Scott scorch or storch had a lot of hits. dj Khalid,manny fresh,alot of guys I forgot about tbh.

You guys making me feel bad with my picks for a best producer. I want to say big up! "BUCK" "BUCK!!" to Peteyjanga for putting a poll up. Mad hespect dun. That said I place 93.5% of the posted poll on My old age.

That said it seems like this is breaking down along coastal lines lol and if this thread happens to be the start of a new east coast west coast rap war...if anybody happens to be at the next BET awards and gets the chance to steal Kanye west to the point his jaw needs to get wired shut again I will immediately send a friend request.

Tho he's technically Midwest he aligns with rocha fella which is east coast so west coast sherdog her like Bay Area feel free.

Last edited:
You guys making me feel bad with my picks for a best producer. I want say big up to Peteyjanga for putting a poll up hespect dun. That said I place 93.5% of the posted poll on My old age.

That said it seems like this is breaking down along coastal lines lol and if this thread happens to be the start of a new east coast west coast rap war...if anybody happens to be at the next BET awards and gets the chance to steal Kanye west to the point his jaw needs to get wired shut again I will immediately send a friend request.

Tho he's technically Midwest he aligns with rocha fella which is east coast so west coast sherdog her like Bay Area feel free.

How old are you??

How old are you??

lets just say my first video game was an Atari 2600. I had a massive MOTU Collection. and my first hip hop mixtape included salt n pepa, Curtis blow afrikka bambata.and ll cool j:redface:

Last edited:
lets just say my first video game was an Atari 2600. I had a ,assive MOTU Collection. and my first hip hop mixtape included salt n pepa, Curtis blow afrikka bambata.and ll cool j:redface:

what are you doing on the internet old man. go to sleep.

I love RZA as much as the next man but lets be honest guys, he's not touching Dre

Back