Who's the best heavyweight boxer in the past 20 years?

Who's the best heavyweight boxer in the past 20 years?

• Total voters
Lennox should be ranked higher in all time lists, but if you confine the time scale to only the last 20 years the answer is clearly Wladimir. And it doesn't matter how shitty his era was. Because today it's worse.
Lennox was very smart but there were things that hurt him badly in the ring, his chin, his balance and his mobility. those are big issues, especially when you did have heavyweights like Ali and Holmes who could both move and give all the angles that would throw everything lennox tried off. That wouldn't hurt him with Louis but that chin might. a 250 pound man was nothing new for Joe either, he seemed to hate big guys given the way he'd beat them.

Probably Wladmir.

Lennox is the better overall but a good chunk of his career was more than 20 years ago. Most pick Vitali over Wlad but I think Wlad surpassed him.

I'd pick fury if not for lennox, how would lennox do with Fury? Lennox had a huge right, very well could be ever bit as good or better than Wilder's.

Lennox was very smart but there were things that hurt him badly in the ring, his chin, his balance and his mobility. those are big issues, especially when you did have heavyweights like Ali and Holmes who could both move and give all the angles that would throw everything lennox tried off. That wouldn't hurt him with Louis but that chin might. a 250 pound man was nothing new for Joe either, he seemed to hate big guys given the way he'd beat them.

Agree. I'd pick Joe over Lennox head to head too. And I know I'm in the minority because today people think steroids make you a better fighter.

Agree. I'd pick Joe over Lennox head to head too. And I know I'm in the minority because today people think steroids make you a better fighter.
Although, I don't agree, there are no shortage of the great boxing men who'd still pick Joe over anyone else, I say still because many are dead. Ray Arcel actually thought Dempsey was still the best, this was in the early 90's, I love Jack Dempsey but I don't think his style would do well at all in later eras. Ray did though and would say the dempsey that beat willard would beat anyone else. All subjective. I say Ali in the mid sixties was the best, not just because of all his other abilities but moreso because of his amazing stamina, Marciano was the only heavyweight who could throw as many punches as Ali. It's still a basic sport, a guy who can hit the other guy more, usually wins, and in that department, ali was able to throw and land extremely well and take few punches in return in that era.

Holyfield is another fighter who I think might surprise a lot of us on his best nights he was a handful.

Its Wlad or Lennox.
Too many names on that list that dont need to be.

Although, I don't agree, there are no shortage of the great boxing men who'd still pick Joe over anyone else, I say still because many are dead. Ray Arcel actually thought Dempsey was still the best, this was in the early 90's, I love Jack Dempsey but I don't think his style would do well at all in later eras. Ray did though and would say the dempsey that beat willard would beat anyone else. All subjective. I say Ali in the mid sixties was the best, not just because of all his other abilities but moreso because of his amazing stamina, Marciano was the only heavyweight who could throw as many punches as Ali. It's still a basic sport, a guy who can hit the other guy more, usually wins, and in that department, ali was able to throw and land extremely well and take few punches in return in that era.

Holyfield is another fighter who I think might surprise a lot of us on his best nights he was a handful.

If Ray Arcel says something like that, it has to have some weight. Mike Tyson said Dempsey from the Willard fight was too raw and that he polished his game more later. And I completely agree with you about Ali, he is my pick for a one on one fight with the aliens :D

Dempsey was the pioneer, the genius of our sport and we grant him that respect but people took what he brought and perfected it all and added a lot beyond it. Tyson did say that and i thought about that when I'd see Dempsey deftly using his brilliant bobs and weaves in his losing efforts against Gene Tunney.

I'd pick fury if not for lennox, how would lennox do with Fury? Lennox had a huge right, very well could be ever bit as good or better than Wilder's.
Lewis would pick him apart., IMO. Lewis was really accurate and set up his shots well.

LL crushes fury. If we are talking best he considering only 2000 on- when Lewis only fight 7 times it can’t be him.

so based on the question as phrased wlad

I don't like Wlads style. Vitali was a murderous puncher.

I like Lennox and Bowe

Some chin as well that uppercut he ate from Lewis in their fight was frightening. Took it no probs but just got tore up cut wise. Wish that fight had went on a bit longer.

I picked Lewis the Lennox in the 2nd Rahman fight would have beat the rest of them even if he was old.

I don't mind saying Lennox or Holmes.
But why is George Foreman, Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield not included in this list?

I'd say Lennox Lewis.
Can't really be Lewis he only occupied 3 of those 20 years at the end of his career.

Either of the Klitschkos would be a good answer, Wlad was in Heavyweight title fights for 17 of those 20 years.

I don't mind saying Lennox or Holmes.
But why is George Foreman, Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield not included in this list?
Foreman retired 23 years ago. Holyfield was 8-6-1 in the last 20 years. Tyson's time between 2000 and retirement in 05 was just dreadful. Holmes had 2 fights in the last 20 years

Can't really be Lewis he only occupied 3 of those 20 years at the end of his career.

Either of the Klitschkos would be a good answer, Wlad was in Heavyweight title fights for 17 of those 20 years.
Annnnd the resume vs head to head argument raises it's ugly head again.
source.gif

Foreman retired 23 years ago. Holyfield was 8-6-1 in the last 20 years. Tyson's time between 2000 and retirement in 05 was just dreadful. Holmes had 2 fights in the last 20 years
Know what???My bad I fucked up! I have no problem admitting when I wasn't thinking straight.
That's what happens when you do 3 things at the same time.

Going by accomplishments between 2000 and now I got to go with Wlad.

Wlad and it's not very close. Lewis's best days were behind him.

Back