Who Was The Greatest MMA Fighter Of The 90's ?

How in the fuck could Ken Shamrock possibly be number 1 for 96? He lost his so called superfight title against Severn and bowed out after one round because he was afraid to fight Tank at UU96(claimed broken hand-never confirmed then wanted to fight Tank in parking lot after when Tank was alone and Ken had the entire Lions Den there).
Meanwhile Coleman started his NHB career in 96 by winning two 8 man tourneys in a row including beating Don Frye who was top ranked at the time. Don went on to win UU96 later that year, Coleman was forced to drop out because he was sick.
From the UFC that year one could make a case for Severn, Frye or Coleman being the number one in the world. Shamrock though, thats just a joke.
Have you actually see Shamrock/Severn 2? Nobody won nor lost that fight. That fight is a wash as absolutely nothing happened in 30 minutes of "fighting".
Shamrock/Severn 1 though? That was pretty conclusive.

If you wanna nitpick, feel free. It's all opinion based anyway.

MMA really started around 2000, before that is was NHB/Vale Tudo. Less rules, 8 man tourneys.
Completely agree with this statement.

Obviously Igor. LOL @ anyone going for Royce; dude wasn't even the best Gracie in the '90s.

Behold:

Last edited:
I think it was Frank

Once he developed his standup he had the complete package

I think he was the best and the most well rounded.

One of the best athletes to enter the sport with a high IQ.

got to be igor vovchanchyn... very few had the kind of record he did at that point (very few have that kind of record now) and he knocked out - though it was overturned to a NC - possibly his biggest opposition for this title Mark Kerr at Pride 7

frank shamrock is a good shout too with the quality of some of his wins though he had a patchy time for a bit

Igor because he's my favorite.

It has to be Royce. The man changed the way the world perceive fighting.

93: Royce Gracie
94: Royce Gracie
95: Ken Shamrock
96: Igor Vochanchyn
97: Igor Vovchanchyn/Kiyoshi Tamura
98: Igor Vovchanchyn
99: Hyato Sakurai
00: Kazushi Sakuraba/Mark Coleman
01: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira/Wanderlei Silva
02: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira/Wanderlei Silva
03: Fedor Emelianenko
04: Fedor Emelianenko
05: Mauricio Rua
06: Fedor Emelianenko
07: GSP
08: Fedor Emelianenko/Anderson Silva
09: Jose Aldo
10: Anderson Silva
11: Anderson Silva
12: Jon Jones
13: Demetrious Johnson
14. Jon Jones

There's always flux and let's just all argue forever.

Ruas-finishes-Varelans.gif

210px-Marco_Ruas_publicity_shot_crop.jpg

although a great fighter, whatever the circumstances were behind the fight, i think losing to alexander otsuka takes him out of the running

Have you actually see Shamrock/Severn 2? Nobody won nor lost that fight. That fight is a wash as absolutely nothing happened in 30 minutes of "fighting".
Shamrock/Severn 1 though? That was pretty conclusive.

If you wanna nitpick, feel free. It's all opinion based anyway.

Yes i have seen it, in fact, I saw it in 96, how about you?

Severn/Shamrock 1 wasn't in 96 so I'm not sure why you think it's relative.

And i disagree that it is "all opinion based". It's somewhat opinion based, but there has to be some logic behind it. Instead of bitching, just back your claim. Shamrock losing a close bitch slap fest against Severn fails to do so. I personally don't think Ken ever held the number one spot. What did he ever do to earn it? Beat a green Severn? Lay on Oleg for a half hour? Severn won 2 UFC tournaments in 95, the second being the Ultimate Ultimate, which was a tournmanet of champions(Severn,Oleg,Ruas). Ken won exactly 0 UFC tournaments in his career, having competed in 3 UFC tournaments just like Severn and none of them comparing in competition to the Ultimate Ultimate.

Coleman was the story in 96. If you think differently, you probably weren't there.

And i disagree that it is "all opinion based". It's somewhat opinion based, but there has to be some logic behind it. Instead of bitching, just back your claim. Shamrock losing a close bitch slap fest against Severn fails to do so. I personally don't think Ken ever held the number one spot. What did he ever do to earn it? Beat a green Severn? Lay on Oleg for a half hour? Severn won 2 UFC tournaments in 95, the second being the Ultimate Ultimate, which was a tournmanet of champions(Severn,Oleg,Ruas). Ken won exactly 0 UFC tournaments in his career, having competed in 3 UFC tournaments just like Severn and none of them comparing in competition to the Ultimate Ultimate.

Coleman was the story in 96. If you think differently, you probably weren't there.

I'm honestly shocked he wasn't a nominee. He looked unstoppable back then. When I saw this monster beat the brakes off of frye I knew he was legit. Then he started having serious cardio issues. I don't know whether age effected him or if he just wasn't training hard enough anymore or what.

I didn't watch MMA until 2002. So no, I did not watch it live.

But regardless, Ken was the Pancrase and UFC Superfight champ at the time. You pump up Severn about his 2 UFC tournament wins, but turn around and call him green a second later when talking about him losing to Ken... Which happened after Severn won one of those tournaments. Make up your mind.

Ken finished Severn and defeated Oleg (regardless of it being called a draw), two of the guys you seem to think are ahead of Ken. Makes zero sense.

As for Coleman, I'd rather give it to him in 97. He wasn't accomplished enough in 96 to lay claim imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back