Who Was The Greatest MMA Fighter Of The 90's ?

I'm not sure who was the best in the 90's but I know who has always been in top 10 from 90's to 10's. His name is Dan Henderson. Henderson and Bustamante are the two most well versed absolute-weight MMA champs of all time. There's no doubt.

Wasn't Kerr on gear while on his tear ? never the less a fucking beast, i reckon he would of done Coleman if they fought , but they where mates.

Yeah that's what was 'supposed' to happen at Pride HW 2000 Grand Prix but Kerr was beaten by Igor and got tko'ed, so it was Coleman vs Vovchanchyn in the finals.

I agree that in their 'primes' Kerr would of smashed Coleman.

Have you watched Mark Kerr's documentary 'The Smashing Machine '? Its a great film, tragic, kind of like watching the sad demise of Mickey Rourke in 'The Wrestler'.

Kerr was on painkillers and medicated to the gills in those days.

So I am guessing Igor was the #1 ranked HW at the time ?

Igor or Funaki. Pity they never met in the ring. Igor beat almost everyone he faced but most of them were nobodies. Funaki lost some, but he also beat several of the best fighters of the era. No one else has wins over Frank, Ken and Bas.

Frank Shamrock hands down. Everybody with a clue knows this.
Royce ? Bithc Please.
Rickson? Underground
Bas? Journeyman.
Ken ? Hype.

The Legend Frank Shamrock was The Man of the 90's

I started watching in the 90s too, a VHS of Shamrock vs Severn 1 was the first event I saw.

I respect your point of view but I think Igor would have taken him, it is a shame it never happened though.

Why did you keep watching MMA if that was the first event you saw? How did you even make it through the fight?

Frank Shamrock perhaps by skill even if I think he would have lost if Tito was in his prime when they fought. Royce Gracie had big impact.

Honestly I must say that I'm pretty skeptic of Igor's record in the 90's. But Goodridge seems like a solid win for that time.

Can you please explain how Tito wasn't in his prime when he fought Frank Shamrock?

Igor is the easy call for me, dude was ferocious

I personally think a lot of Royce's success came from fighting guys that had no idea what he was doing until it was too late... It was the literal style-vs-style competition with most of the fighters doing little to no cross discipline training.

guys like the Shamrocks, Marco Ruas, and Don Frye (among many others) were trail blazers in the use of multiple disciplines and kind of started the turn of NHB into MMA

Frank Shamrock, who would have rekt Royce.

Royce was the man back in the day.

Royce was the runt of the family. I think Rickson is a better answer.

It's not, Royce Gracie put BJJ on the map and defined MMA in the very beginning of UFC history. Rickson could have done the same too but he didn't so, he's not the man, Royce is.

Igor and Ken(despite missing the back end of the 90's to wrassle).

To me it comes down to between Saku, Bas, and Rickson.

Honorable mentions to Frank and Igor.

Back