Who Was The Greatest MMA Fighter Of The 90's ?

93: Royce Gracie
94: Royce Gracie
95: Ken Shamrock
96: Ken Shamrock
97: Igor Vovchanchyn
98: Igor Vovchanchyn
99: Igor Vovchanchyn/Frank Shamrock
00: Kazushi Sakuraba/Mark Coleman
01: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira/Wanderlei Silva
02: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira/Wanderlei Silva
03: Fedor Emelianenko/Wanderlei Silva
04: Fedor Emelianenko
05: Fedor Emelianenko/Mauricio Rua
06: Fedor Emelianenko
07: Fedor Emelianenko
08: Fedor Emelianenko/Anderson Silva
09: Fedor Emelianenko/Anderson Silva
10: Anderson Silva
11: Anderson Silva/Jon Jones
12: Anderson Silva/Jon Jones
13: Georges St-Pierre/Jon Jones
14. Jon Jones

Enjoy.

I'm gonna a go with Royce Gracie but that's because I didn't get to this sport till 2009 so...

I've done research on Igor and Bas, etc. and those guys seem like some bad mofos but idk, Gracie is the only guy from the 90's I know more of.

In the 2000's - Fedor Emelianenko ( some will say Anderson Silva )

In The 2010's - Jon Jones ( more then likely imo )

But who was the best of the 1990's ? Bas Rutten ? Igor Vovchanchyn ? Frank Shamrock ? Ken Shamrock ? Royce Gracie ?

Who in your opinions was the best of the this unforgettable decade ?.

Keith Hackney. He only knew karate and didnt come in with hand picked opponents yet he still managed to crush a giant, a beat the balls off of a rapist, then give royce one of his toughest fights.

Of course people are going to name plenty of people that did better but they all had other things in their favor such as cross training or size. Plus none of them have his moral merits even if not earned intentionally.

Hard for me to say, but this thread makes me sadly reflect on the fact that Bas never ended up fighting Wanderlei or Rickson like he wanted to.

14. Jon Jones

Enjoy.

I agree with this list

That's a very tough question. I'm thinking Bas. UFC and Pancrase champion, huge winning streak over some big names.

Both Ken and Frank Shamrock are very close too.

Igor is right up there. But his level of competition wasn't very good. And the titles he held were not in the top MMA organizations.

Last edited:
the gap Royce created wasn't filled by any particular fighter when Royce stepped aside in '95. Lots of good fighters in the next 5 years, but none as dominant on what then was "high level". Ken was the next big thing after Royce left, but Royce beat him.

the most skilled fighter of the 90's is another story. I'd go with peak Bas or Frank, they would've beat Royce up badly.

14. Jon Jones

Enjoy.

This is exactly how I'd have it.

MMA really started around 2000, before that is was NHB/Vale Tudo. Less rules, 8 man tourneys.
When Frank and Bas transitioned to NHB from Pancrase they both said it was a different sport and their records at the time were 0-0-0, a new start.

Frank likened Pancrase to an amateur career and Bas of course felt NHB rules were a huge advantage since it basically let him use all his striking tools. Pancrase had boots, banned submissions, rope outs and very limited striking at the time. The org labeled themselves as Hybrid Wrestling-real pro wrestling. Now looking back we want to lump them all in under the "MMA" umbrella but it does no justice to the era.

Igor won 8 tournaments(4 and 8man) as well as making the finals of an 8 man tourney and a 16 man. His competiton wasn't stellar, but thats how it was at the time. No one else even really comes close.

Last edited:
14. Jon Jones

Enjoy.

Holy shit. I think I agree with every single one on here. And impressed you were able to find a spot to give GSP a nod without blatantly slapping Fedor or Anderson in the face.

This is exactly how I'd have it.

How in the fuck could Ken Shamrock possibly be number 1 for 96? He lost his so called superfight title against Severn and bowed out after one round because he was afraid to fight Tank at UU96(claimed broken hand-never confirmed then wanted to fight Tank in parking lot after when Tank was alone and Ken had the entire Lions Den there).
Meanwhile Coleman started his NHB career in 96 by winning two 8 man tourneys in a row including beating Don Frye who was top ranked at the time. Don went on to win UU96 later that year, Coleman was forced to drop out because he was sick.
From the UFC that year one could make a case for Severn, Frye or Coleman being the number one in the world. Shamrock though, thats just a joke.

Igor without a doubt for me but I'm incredibly biased on this one

Back