Who Was The Greatest MMA Fighter Of The 90's ?

MMAlover123

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the 2000's - Fedor Emelianenko ( some will say Anderson Silva )

In The 2010's - Jon Jones ( more then likely imo )

But who was the best of the 1990's ? Bas Rutten ? Igor Vovchanchyn ? Frank Shamrock ? Ken Shamrock ? Royce Gracie ?

Who in your opinions was the best of the this unforgettable decade ?.

Frank Shamrock.

Edit: Hard to look past Royce though.

Igor V basically didn't lose a fight in the 90's and was a monster.

I'd go with him.

Marco Ruas is another option, as well as the above Royce/Frank Shamrock

Also, Rickson by armbar.

Hm, that's a hard one imo. I'm almost leaning towards Igor just because of personal bias.

Igor went 38-2-1 in the 90s, and he only fought for 4 years.

Royce, Saku, Frank, and Coleman would be the number 1s in each weight class... If they'd had weightclasses.

The thing with the 90s is the sport was evolving literally with each event. The guys in the late 90s were so much better than Royce.

It's almost unfair to compare them.

Mark Kerr was unstoppable at that time,...until he fought 'Igor' lol.

The thing with the 90s is the sport was evolving literally with each event. The guys in the late 90s were so much better than Royce.

It's almost unfair to compare them.

Agreed, but the same could be said about the 2000s. 2009 Jones sleeps 2003 Liddell.

Royce imo never fought the talent that Bas Rutten fought , he was basically fed one dimensional fighters to promote BJJ , not to suggests anything but still

Personally id go for Bas Rutten , great wins ( against the likes of Frank Shamrock 2X , Minoru Suzuki , Guy Mezger , Masakatsu Funaki , Tsuyoshi Kohsaka and Kevin Randleman ... which was a very debatable win imo but still ) undefeated streak of 21 wins and 1 NC

Igor went 38-2-1 in the 90s, and he only fought for 4 years.

True ... but imo Bas beat some great names ( Igor beat wins , Saku , Varelans , Kerr , Goodridge)... but Igor was a fucking force back in the day.

1990s: Igor Vovchanchyn
2000s: Fedor Emelianenko
2010s: Jon Jones*

Also, a brief lesson on pluralization: you do not pluralize with an apostrophe, even when dealing with numbers. You would say, "Fedor was the best fighter if the 00s. Igor Vovchanchyn was the man in the 90s."

Also also: Jones appears to be a PED user. This necessarily hurts his legacy, in my opinion. So Jones being considered the current best of his generation may change over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Mark Kerr was unstoppable at that time,...until he fought 'Igor' lol.

Wasn't Kerr on gear while on his tear ? never the less a fucking beast, i reckon he would of done Coleman if they fought , but they where mates.

Back