Who thinks Wonderboy won't absolutely demolish Lawler?

I'll never count Robbie out of any fight, I'm not that foolish. Think Stephen would win, though.

Wonderboy has a few good fights, he took out the number 2 guy also.

HOWEVER

Wonderboy has never been to a WAR, he also has never been to championship rounds, and the last fight that went the distance was with Cote, who has been on a tear, recently he tore up Ben Saunders like a Marine in Thailand on shore leave.

If he cannot take down Robbie in 4 rounds, 5th Round Lawler is going to be taking victory pictures with a shovel, cuz Wonderboy will have one foot in the grave.

Thompson has 1 inch reach advantage over Lawler while he had 6 inch yesterday.

Of course Robbie has a chance to catch him and knock him out but that reach is going to be hard for him to deal with.

Wonderboy will win every round clearly, but get dropped once in one of the middle rounds then Robbie will unleash all hell in the fifth earning him a 10-1 round just for aggression alone thus winning him the fight.

So you're saying you TJ should have won, huh? Interdasting...

Nobody will absolutely demolish Lawler except Tanner. The closest one since was Manhoef, and he got bodied.

Hendricks under estimated Thompson badly. Hendricks was much too willing to stay at range and didn't pursue the take down with enough vigor. Lawler has been in this game much longer than Hendricks and will not make the same mistake. I think this is especially true now that Thompson laid a beating on Hendricks. No one will sleep on Thompson again. Masterful performance but Hendricks' slow motion game plan, lack of movement, an seeming disregard for Thompson's skills combined for a perfect storm. I fully believe Thompson can beat Lawler, but if he does I don't believe it will be early. Lawler has proven his mettle and is a complete MMA with a wholly professional attitude at this stage of his life.

Edit: spelling

Was it mettle? Because I was gonna give you a +1 for spelling it right on Sherdog, but now spelling edits...

No grappling - Robbie takes this via brutality. OR, Wonderboy comes out a beaten, bloodied superhero champion.

Not saying Stephen Thompson is the greatest, although I think he's great, but Lawler is the perfect opponent for Wonderboy. When Wonderboy fights Lawler it will look similar to Wonderboy vs. Hendricks minus the threat of the TD. People say styles make fights, this is that and it favors Wonderboy. It's the perfect matchup for Wonderboy, Lawler is a punching bag that will throw a few punches at Wonderboy each round. A fighter with a far more limited striking game then him and who's slower. If they fight Wonderboy will destroy Lawler, if they fight for the belt, I'm calling it now, Wonderboy will be the new UFC WW Champ.

Here's why, Lawler's cons:

1.) Low volume striking (I think he threw about 8 punches per round against Condit)

2.) Will stand and bang (respectable, but it will be his downfall)

3.) Waits until the 5th round to really turn it on (it will most likely be over in the 2nd against Wonderboy)

4.) Will stand right in front of Wonderboy (that's what Stephen wants)

5.) Won't go for TD's, it will completely be a stand up affair, which favors the more versatile striker in Thompson.

6.) Lawler's chin isn't the best it's ever been, it can't be. (Not saying his chin's gone like Hendo or Big Nog, but it can't be at it's best after his accumulation of damage.)

7.) Robbie has won some contentious decisions in his last 3 fights, he'd lose a decision to Wonderboy and most likely be TKO'd/KO'd before it gets to that.

8.) Speed, Robbie is too slow for Wonderboy.

So, who thinks that Wonderboy won't absolutely demolish Lawler?
Robbie doesn't wait until the 5th round, he looks for openings and just has become more patient and there hasn't been a recent fight where he hasnt found those openings and landed clean shots. he just goes in beserker mode the 5th round cause he wants to finish it knowing its the last round and wants to leave everything in there since its the end. robbie has great striking instincts so he's always dangerous...also if you remember in the first round against hendricks he went beserker mode for a part of it but couldnt hurt him enough and backed off..he does take off rounds though which is dangerous

that being said wonderboy has the perfect striking style for him with the distance and timing, we've seen robbie get rocked a few times in his last few fights so you'd expect for wonderboy to have the advantage on the feet and have a good chance for the KO and you have to make him the favorite

its certainly not a foregone conclusion, I think if Wonderboy did that to the Hendricks we saw in the past it would suggest Wonderboy would win easily enough.

Tough fight to call for me, its very hard to bet against Robbie with anyone tbh.

Remember Hendricks was lay n'praying the shit outta Lawler. Robbie is far superior at the striking department. Hard fight for wonderboy, i'm not sure who wins

Robbie doesn't wait until the 5th round, he looks for openings and just has become more patient and there hasn't been a recent fight where he hasnt found those openings and landed clean shots. he just goes in beserker mode the 5th round cause he wants to finish it knowing its the last round and wants to leave everything in there since its the end. robbie has great striking instincts so he's always dangerous...also if you remember in the first round against hendricks he went beserker mode for a part of it but couldnt hurt him enough and backed off..he does take off rounds though which is dangerous

that being said wonderboy has the perfect striking style for him with the distance and timing, we've seen robbie get rocked a few times in his last few fights so you'd expect for wonderboy to have the advantage on the feet and have a good chance for the KO and you have to make him the favorite

Good post.

Robbie's been rocked recently. Wonderboy will put him down

People like to forget but.
SpitefulTenseAntlion.gif

Not gonna lie the way Wonderboy just demolished Hendricks shocked me.

I can see Lawler bringing it to deep waters though and winning.

I'm willing to bet if Wonderboy and Lawler stand and trade that Lawler's chin won't be the one that cracks first.

Of course that's assuming a vet like Lawler would just play right into his opponents hands like that. Which is doubtful.

I like Robbie and I think he could win, but he needs to stop taking rounds off and depending on the last round flurries. You can argue he lost to Condit and maybe even Hendricks using that strategy. He will definitely need to work on his footwork and use more wrestling to keep Wonderboy at bay!

He's a really bad match up for Lawler imo

Lawler has been in trouble a lot of times...vs. Rory & vs. Condit...He was able to survive because he was able to return fire vs. them...Wonderboy has the best footwork, offensive striking, defensive striking i've seen in WW. Lawler is a game dude but he can't stay outside for long. he needs to close the distance and pressure Wonderboy...easier said than done.

Back