Who thinks Wonderboy won't absolutely demolish Lawler?

If Robbie fights at Wonderboy's range, he's doomed. Lawler's smart enough to know that and he'll adjust. Also, we know what Robbie does when confronted with extreme adversity--he wins. Don't know about Steven. I love Thompson's style and I hope he goes far now that Machida's career is about over.

Only one way to find out..... Wonderboy vs Lawler, Condit or Diaz sound like awesome fights to me

I really feel like Thompson is the next champ after that fight last night

We have seen the top guys like Lawler, Hendricks, Condit and Rory all fighting each other but nobody has ever just flat out beaten someone's ass in that group like what Wonderboy just did. That guy is legit

Me.

He's not fighting someone with their head up their ass.

Lawler probably is the overall better MMA fighter but if these two guys fight, I'm putting my money on Wonderboy. Lawler has great boxing but he easily gets hit. Wonderboy showed incredible accuracy against Hendricks and great timing and distance. If anyone thinks this is an easy fight for Lawler then you're one of them nuthuggers that thought he was shit until he beat Hendricks. Hopefully we won't get a Condit rematch now, Wonderboy is the fight to make.

I think wonderboy will win, but lawler will fight smarter. Hendricks stayed in kicking range and slowly/predictably closed the distance, presenting numerous opportunities for wonderboy. Robbie tends to stay in the pocket and will put more pressure on him. That said, Robbie is very hittable and is still a good matchup for wonderboy.

I remember the match between Melvin Manhoef and Robbie Lawler, at the time Melvin was probably the most feared striker outside of Cro-cop. He was fast and devastating, and during said match Lawler was getting picked apart with leg kicks and with Manhoef's straight right. Lawler managed to survive and knock out Manhoef with a wild exchange. Now im not saying this will happen if Thompson meets Lawler, but to totally disregard Lawler as a quick finish for Thompson is absurd.

He probably does. A technical striker who wouldn't get sucked in to brawl. This and the fact Lawler is so hittable.

Lawler is one of my favorite fighters ever but if Wonderboy fights like he did last night he walks away with the win 10/10 times. That was pretty damn impressive!!

Hendricks under estimated Thompson badly. Hendricks was much too willing to stay at range and didn't pursue the take down with enough vigor. Lawler has been in this game much longer than Hendricks and will not make the same mistake. I think this is especially true now that Thompson laid a beating on Hendricks. No one will sleep on Thompson again. Masterful performance but Hendricks' slow motion game plan, lack of movement, an seeming disregard for Thompson's skills combined for a perfect storm. I fully believe Thompson can beat Lawler, but if he does I don't believe it will be early. Lawler has proven his mettle and is a complete MMA with a wholly professional attitude at this stage of his life.

Edit: spelling

I think Thompson is either going to be an absolute nightmare for Robbie, possibly taking him out in a couple rounds, or Robbie is going effectively apply pressure and get out of the way of a lot of Thompson's strikes, possibly clipping him and taking him out after getting lumped up a bit. It's hard to say. It will be a very interesting fight.

The hyped part of me wants to say Thompson, but Lawler is too crafty and dangerous to write off.

Thompson fought a guy shorter than him with short arms and who could not close the distance Lawler is taller and he would not have that problem but jesus do people think is the greatest and writing all that stuff for him after one match for a guy who got dropped by Jake Ellenberger

Robbie is tougher, he'd put the hands on Wonderboy and hurt him.

But I wouldn't be upset if Wonderboy won after watching him fuck up johnny.

I like Robbies ability to take to punishment in order to give it. It'll be interesting to see if Wonderbra will be able to trade shots with Lawler. I find it highly unlikely and nobody is more dangerous is a brawl than Robbie. I think robbie wins.

Robbie knocks him out and its not even close. Robbie will go SAVAGE mode and break that dude

I actually see it playing out like this. When I read the PBP results this morning I expected to see something super impressive and crazy from Thompson. What I saw when I actually watched the fight was the worst effort of Johny Hendricks career. What the fuck was he even doing in there? Absolutely no movement whatsoever. It was awful. His footwork was never the best, but he was exceptionally flat footed last night. Lawler is a completely different fighter. He would be cutting the cage off and throwing haymakers. It would be a cool fight, but I don't think Wonderboy does as well as Condit did. Condit looks like the better MMA striker IMO. I think Lawler knocks him the fuck OUT.

I remember the match between Melvin Manhoef and Robbie Lawler, at the time Melvin was probably the most feared striker outside of Cro-cop. He was fast and devastating, and during said match Lawler was getting picked apart with leg kicks and with Manhoef's straight right. Lawler managed to survive and knock out Manhoef with a wild exchange. Now im not saying this will happen if Thompson meets Lawler, but to totally disregard Lawler as a quick finish for Thompson is absurd.
this fight came mind as well. Robbie was get tagged a lot by a stalking Melvin and Robbie shut his lights of in a blink of an eye. I don't think there's anyone more dangerous when they're hurt than Robbie. Makes opponents leary of going for the kill while he's still standing. I believe Co Cop was pretty much on his way out by then tho. Melvin was and still is a terrifying striker.

I think Lawler beat Wonderboy. Can't compare Johnny to Lawler. Lawler won't lay back like Johnny was and his striking is better than Johnny's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back