Who thinks Wonderboy won't absolutely demolish Lawler?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Not saying Stephen Thompson is the greatest, although I think he's great, but Lawler is the perfect opponent for Wonderboy. When Wonderboy fights Lawler it will look similar to Wonderboy vs. Hendricks minus the threat of the TD. People say styles make fights, this is that and it favors Wonderboy. It's the perfect matchup for Wonderboy, Lawler is a punching bag that will throw a few punches at Wonderboy each round. A fighter with a far more limited striking game then him and who's slower. If they fight Wonderboy will destroy Lawler, if they fight for the belt, I'm calling it now, Wonderboy will be the new UFC WW Champ.

Here's why, Lawler's cons:

1.) Low volume striking (I think he threw about 8 punches per round against Condit)

2.) Will stand and bang (respectable, but it will be his downfall)

3.) Waits until the 5th round to really turn it on (it will most likely be over in the 2nd against Wonderboy)

4.) Will stand right in front of Wonderboy (that's what Stephen wants)

5.) Won't go for TD's, it will completely be a stand up affair, which favors the more versatile striker in Thompson.

6.) Lawler's chin isn't the best it's ever been, it can't be. (Not saying his chin's gone like Hendo or Big Nog, but it can't be at it's best after his accumulation of damage.)

7.) Robbie has won some contentious decisions in his last 3 fights, he'd lose a decision to Wonderboy and most likely be TKO'd/KO'd before it gets to that.

8.) Speed, Robbie is too slow for Wonderboy.

So, who thinks that Wonderboy won't absolutely demolish Lawler?

Last edited:
Me. I love Lawler and will take him over anyone, he's probably my favorite fighter right now

You're underestimating Robbie's fight IQ, dudes been in the game for over a decade and a half fighting at the top level.

One word for Lawlers potential success... Clinch.

1. Lawler has phenomenal footwork and head movement at a top level. He can cut off the ring and and make Wonderboy fight a trench war.

2 . Without having to fear Wonderboys grappling unlike his previous recent opponents Robbie has one tool he can use freely to his advantage... Kicks. If he can land them consistently and slow down Wonderboys movement, he gives himself a chance to land his patent KO shots.

Again not saying Robbie would automatically win, but to write him off so easily is just absurd.

Robbie knocks him out and its not even close. Robbie will go SAVAGE mode and break that dude

Wonderboy will win every round clearly, but get dropped once in one of the middle rounds then Robbie will unleash all hell in the fifth earning him a 10-1 round just for aggression alone thus winning him the fight.

If Lawler lands any of the shots he did on Matt Brown, Rory, or Condit, he knocks down Wonderboy, who has a suspect chin, and likely finishes him.

I think Wonderboy is dangerous and could beat Lawler, but it's not like Lawler isn't equally dangerous for Wonderboy. Now, if Wonderboy had an Anderson Silva-esque chin (in his prime) that could take H-Bombs, then it would be different, but he doesn't and Robbie will hurt him bad if he hits him.

I don't know about "demolish", TS, but Wonderboy can win that fight, IMO.

A big thing was the less reach of Hendricks vs Wonderboy. Lawler has 5 inches of reach over Hendricks, that's huge.

Lawler certainly does better than Big Rigg just on account of having longer arms.

Did not read any of that, Stephen could win, but Robbie could always ko him

Given what Condit was able to do to him, I would think so. Wonderboy is a little like Condit (difficult to get a read on), but with much more power.

Rory has the greatest chance of beating wonderboy, he mixes everything up well enough to secuere a takedown, hendricks kind of forces his will upon you, which is hard when someones dancing around.

wouldn't mind seeing him fight lawler,

that was awesome what he did to hendricks

he's like an agressive machida

Thompson should beat Lawler everywhere but he has to finish him before round 5. Once "Final Round Robbie" emerges, all bets are off.

I think Lawler has taken enough damage in his past 3 fights that his chin won't hold up past the first or second round. Thompson is a nightmare match up for him unless he goes to his wrestling.

A big thing was the less reach of Hendricks vs Wonderboy. Lawler has 5 inches of reach over Hendricks, that's huge.

Lawler certainly does better than Big Rigg just on account of having longer arms.
are you serious " on account of having longer arm"
We arent talking stationary fighting, footwork was the biggest difference hendricks has fought longer guys and beat them, footwork is how you impose you're reach.
Hendricks didnt lose cause his reach, he lost cause he was a stationary target for a very agile striker whos also longer.

He wouldn't demolish Lawler, but he does have a chance at winning if Lawler decides to be stationary.

Lawler has the most heart I've probably ever seen in the sport and he's an incredibly violent fighter. You're kidding yourself if you think Lawler would be demolished by anyone. The guy always puts up a fight.

If there's one thing we've learned about Robbie, it's that he doesn't have to actually win fights in order to win fights.

I mean it's hard to imagine Lawler getting completely demolished, but it is a favorable matchup for Wonderboy

Back