Who is next?

If they make too much of an issue out of Bond "turning black" they could end up spending a lot of time on backstory that has nothing to do with the adventure Bond is engaged in...

British Intelligence has black agents. I'm sure there are plenty of missions where race would be of little relevance, and plenty of missions where it could be expected to affect the chances of success, or going unnoticed, etc.

I kind of hope that if they cast Idris Elba or another black actor, that they just get on with the adventure, and also that there's no scene where he has to fight the KKK for no reason. As a black agent, I hope he is appropriately deployed on a mission where his race won't handicap his chances of success ("okay James, the plans are hidden in the giant statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest, and we need them before they finish this year's Civil War Re-enactment...")

He is a good actor but not better then the three listed in the opening post for that role.

When we start casting white actors in black leads be my guest. If we were talking about ultimate Jimmie rustled that would be it. The Oscar freak out would be nothing in comparison to that shit storm.

We should cast Tom Arnold in a Martin Luther King Jr. Movie.

I don't know if I'm wasting time responding to a troll post...probably...

But James Bond is a fictional special agent. Everything in the James Bond world has been updated in the movies. They don't still take place in the 60s. I don't see what there is that requires James Bond to be white. I'm just used to him being white is all.

A white Martin Luther King is as stupid as a black Abraham Lincoln.

He is a good actor but not better then the three listed in the opening post for that role.

When we start casting white actors in black leads be my guest.

James Bond is just a British special agent. He was written as a white guy back when the character was created, but how important is it to James Bond that he be white? Not very, in my opinion.

If they make too much of an issue out of Bond "turning black" they could end up spending a lot of time on backstory that has nothing to do with the adventure Bond is engaged in...

British Intelligence has black agents. I'm sure there are plenty of missions where race would be of little relevance, and plenty of missions where it could be expected to affect the chances of success, or going unnoticed, etc.

I kind of hope that if they cast Idris Elba or another black actor, that they just get on with the adventure, and also that there's no scene where he has to fight the KKK for no reason. As a black agent, I hope he is appropriately deployed on a mission where his race won't handicap his chances of success ("okay James, the plans are hidden in the giant statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest, and we need them before they finish this year's Civil War Re-enactment...")

It would be really simple to just roll with the fan theory of Bond 007 being a call sign rather than one man. One scene of explanation that also opens the series wide for future projects. Also an arbitrary KKK ass kicking scene wouldnt be so bad no? I hope I didnt come across racist or anything cause Im far from it. For adaptations of fictional work I think alls fair in the race department even though itll be quite strange seeing Elba as gunslinger Roland too, just because I didnt personally imagine him that way. Kudos to Idris for potentially tearing down peoples preconceptions.
All that being said, Im definitely waiting to be amused when they cast a black Abe Lincoln and an asian MLK etc, and boy do I ever hope Hollywood does.

I don't know if I'm wasting time responding to a troll post...probably...

But James Bond is a fictional special agent. Everything in the James Bond world has been updated in the movies. They don't still take place in the 60s. I don't see what there is that requires James Bond to be white. I'm just used to him being white is all.

A white Martin Luther King is as stupid as a black Abraham Lincoln.

Fictional white character by Ian Flemming that was popularized by John. F. Kenedy after reading the 3rd book stating it as one of his favorite books.

When it comes to a job let's say a roll, someone being paid, it should be that the best candidate gets the gig. Not just handed out to fill a quota.

Try being a white male applying for a cop or fire fighter job these days. #reverseracism #wut?

It would be really simple to just roll with the fan theory of Bond 007 being a call sign rather than one man. One scene of explanation that also opens the series wide for future projects. Also an arbitrary KKK ass kicking scene wouldnt be so bad no? I hope I didnt come across racist or anything cause Im far from it. For adaptations of fictional work I think alls fair in the race department even though itll be quite strange seeing Elba as gunslinger Roland too, just because I didnt personally imagine him that way. Kudos to Idris for potentially tearing down peoples preconceptions.
All that being said, Im definitely waiting to be amused when they cast a black Abe Lincoln and an asian MLK etc, and boy do I ever hope Hollywood does.

For a while, it seemed like almost every action movie with a black protagonist (Virtuosity, etc) had a scene where some white racists come in out of nowhere, who have nothing to do with the story, and then we have the black guy kick the shit out of them for five minutes, and then the movie resumes.

I got tired of it. Not tired of seeing the KKK get throttled, but tired of this plot diversion being something that had to be included.

The next 007 will be a strong independent black woman who don't need no man.

Fictional white character by Ian Flemming that was popularized by John. F. Kenedy after reading the 3rd book stating it as one of his favorite books.

When it comes to a job let's say a roll, someone being paid, it should be that the best candidate gets the gig. Not just handed out to fill a quota.

Try being a white male applying for a cop or fire fighter job these days. #reverseracism #wut?

That's my point as well. The two best actors I can think of today to play James Bond (or a role extremely similar to James Bond) I listed earlier as Clive Owen and Idris Elba. He'd be one of the top candidates for the role, not looking at race at all. In my opinion, anyway.

Some roles get handed out to make a point or push for progress and so on. My suggestion of Idris Elba as James Bond isn't for that reason. It's because I want to see James Bond played by someone suitable for the role.

I just don't view James Bond as a character that's tied up in one race for any important reason.

The next 007 will be a strong independent black woman who don't need no man.

Wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately. These things can swing too far in either direction.

James Bond is just a British special agent. He was written as a white guy back when the character was created, but how important is it to James Bond that he be white? Not very, in my opinion.

Be a white male and apply to the police force or fighter fighting. Jobs are given now a days to fill a quota rather then hire the best candidate. So, by being the best for a job can in fact get you nowhere with this thinking and it ruins a product.

Elba is a good actor. No denying it. I just think the 3 I listed are better for the role.

If we are just going to go run wild with roles, let's pull Sly from the role if Rocky and replace it with a woman. Let's make a Jordan movie staring Tom Arnold.

It gets ridiculous at a certain point. The topic can't be discussed without someone with lower IQ screaming racism.

We had the Oscar freakout then Kanye demanding album of the year or he won't come. We have the qb victimhood tangent and surprise, he didn't win. We had freakout about stay bucks Xmas cups. Tomorrow something ridiculous will surface. Some clown will be offended.

Did any Japanese cry racism at the Oscars? Did Michael Jordan ever cry racism when he lost? No. He was a warrior but the current generation is full of low testosterone sissies. Cry if you don't get your way.

Be a white male and apply to the police force or fighter fighting. Jobs are given now a days to fill a quota rather then hire the best candidate. So, by being the best for a job can in fact get you nowhere with this thinking and it ruins a product.

Elba is a good actor. No denying it. I just think the 3 I listed are better for the role.

If we are just going to go run wild with roles, let's pull Sly from the role if Rocky and replace it with a woman. Let's make a Jordan movie staring Tom Arnold.

It gets ridiculous at a certain point. The topic can't be discussed without someone with lower IQ screaming racism.

We had the Oscar freakout then Kanye demanding album of the year or he won't come. We have the qb victimhood tangent and surprise, he didn't win. We had freakout about stay bucks Xmas cups. Tomorrow something ridiculous will surface. Some clown will be offended.

Did any Japanese cry racism at the Oscars? Did Michael Jordan ever cry racism when he lost? No. He was a warrior but the current generation is full of low testosterone sissies. Cry if you don't get your way.

You can't equate historical figures to fictional characters. A white Muhammad Ali or Michael Jordan or Genghis Khan, or a black Socrates, Einstein, William Wallace or Al Capone would be an absolute farce, if the film weren't some sort of fantasy or Marlon Wayans movie. It's just blatantly historically inaccurate.

What you are suggesting can get ridiculous at a certain point. I just think that point is somewhere beyond the race of James Bond.

Wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately. These things can swing too far in either direction.

My only point would be the public outcry if the reverse were too happen. I guess time will tell.

Curious of other actors who could do the roll?

You can't equate historical figures to fictional characters. A white Muhammad Ali or Michael Jordan or Genghis Khan, or a black Socrates, Einstein, William Wallace or Al Capone would be an absolute farce, if the film weren't some sort of fantasy or Marlon Wayans movie. It's just blatantly historically inaccurate.

What you are suggesting can get ridiculous at a certain point. I just think that point is somewhere beyond the race of James Bond.

I am taking it to the extreme but what if Shaft fictional character was replaced by a white actor?

There would be #blacklivesmatter signs everywhere. Nobody says anything because someone left wing will scream racism.

Meanwhile our military police force fighter fighters and efficiency goes down because of a quota. If I a man apply to be a nurse, I shouldn't get it before a woman who is better. This is the world we live in.

My only point would be the public outcry if the reverse were too happen. I guess time will tell.

Curious of other actors who could do the roll?

Yes. I'd have no problem with a white Alex Cross or Roger Murtaugh on principle, but there would be an outcry about taking a known black character and making him white. Could their race be discarded and have pretty much the same character for the purposes of the stories? I think so (other than Lethal Weapon 2).

I agree that not everything warrants a public outcry. But that's beyond my control. All I can do is try to be open and reasonable myself.

Yes. I'd have no problem with a white Alex Cross or Roger Murtaugh on principle, but there would be an outcry about taking a known black character and making him white. Could their race be discarded and have pretty much the same character for the purposes of the stories? I think so (other than Lethal Weapon 2).

I agree that not everything warrants a public outcry. But that's beyond my control. All I can do is try to be open and reasonable myself.

Missing the point.

If a white roll is replaced by a ethnicity, public outcry would follow in reverse .

If I don't get a police job because I am not the strongest candidate great. If I am not because my competition has breaststroke or darker tone, this is bullshit. Sad reality though. Did the Japanese freak the fuck out about Tom Cruise the last samurai? Boycotting is an alternative response.

I like that Tom Hardy goes nuts getting into shape for the roll. I can even imagine bale doing a good job.

Idris would be an awesome Bond. I have no investment if the character is black, white, or Asian. Bond the character is more about pulling off the balance of sophistication, charm, and menace.

This guy

tumblr_mhyt07Jjuk1r6reyvo1_540.jpg

Back