Who is currently the best White Male Vocalist

enrique getting caught w/ the lip bite at 1:33. that run was nasty tho
[YT]Tm4ZZ92crt4[/YT]

If Jason Derolo and Chris Brown are your standards, maybe Justin Timberlake?

If you had better standards, idk. Probably someone from the UK that is not very big here in the US.

I'd probably have to say overall it'd be Corey Taylor. reason being, he has a 5 and a half octave vocal range for starters. that alone is pretty impressive but then also he can sing pretty much any genre or style, so he has both the incredible range and the dynamic versatility to go with it. so based on attributes or on paper, i'd have to say Corey Taylor hands down.

my ears say Chris Cornell doe...

Depends on the vocal style. Could be Buble, Beiber, Gerard Way or some random death metal guy who can pig squeal non stop for 10 minutes lol If I had to pick I would say Andrei Bocelli.

George Michael (he is still alive, so current in my eyes)

He is an amazing singer. Watch the whole MTV unplugged if you have a chance, it's really good.

George Michael (he is still alive, so current in my eyes)

He is an amazing singer. Watch the whole MTV unplugged if you have a chance, it's really good.

tumblr_m6hqfrNboQ1rrf9sa.gif

Josh Groban

End thread

I'd probably have to say overall it'd be Corey Taylor. reason being, he has a 5 and a half octave vocal range for starters. that alone is pretty impressive but then also he can sing pretty much any genre or style, so he has both the incredible range and the dynamic versatility to go with it. so based on attributes or on paper, i'd have to say Corey Taylor hands down.

my ears say Chris Cornell doe...

Beaten only by Mike Patton, never knew Corey's range was like that.

Good list here:

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2014/05/digging-deeper-axl-rose-is-not-singer.html

Somebody you've never heard of. The music industry isn't a meritocracy. It's about marketability.

first post nailed it

there's no "best" in music, tastes and styles vary wildly. plus nobody is keeping score

Why do some people feel it necessary to turn everything into a competition

Yeah Mike Patton has incredible range, but he isn't really as versatile as Taylor imo

The only thing incredible about Mike Patton is how overrated he is.
He is an okay singer but its all about the tone and Patton IMO doesnt have a phenomenal voice at all.

When I think of great vocalists I think of guys like Joe Cocker , Van morrison ,Smokey Robinson, Elvis ,

As far as best current white male vocalist I dunno?

As far as technical difficulty goes, it has to be this guy.

He can sing B4 and transition into C5 - C♯5 range with ease. In the last minute of the vide you would hear him hit the D5-E5-G♯5 combo and end with a G5 which is super hard in all accounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I don't get the Sam Smith thing. My kids love him but I don't see what's so great about singing in a super high pitched voice. It's not actively pleasant to my ears and surely that's what makes a great voice?

When you think of the great voices of the past like Sinatra, Joplin, Carpenter, Fitzgerald etc - they all have a wonderful tone and phrasing, and most importantly the ability to create emotion - to get your hairs standing on end. For some reason the modern audience seems to rate range and a host of technical tricks as great singing. It's particularly bad with the American female singers.

Back