Who has the strongest record?

I think Jones has the best record at 17-1 with his only loss being a DQ. Hes yet to be really defeated by anyone. At a close second I would say Jose Aldo at 21-1.

Hendo also has a lot of gift decisions that could easily make his record look far from greatest.

Anderson's record is better than Hendo's especially since he has a win over Hendo.

The problem here is your missing the point of what the question is. It isn't the best record it is based on the strength of the opponents they have fought, as per OP...

Ok, so every time I see a thread discussing a fighter, inevitably someone says that their record is padded, or whatever. I know there is bias, but who in the UFC actually has the strongest record/ has beaten the toughest competition?

So, when you look at Hendo's record you see the dudes he has fought have the most wins, most titles, and are in general, the biggest names in the sport in it's entire history and spans from young upstarts to old legends. From MW champs to HW champs and so on. GSP has beaten WW contenders who have beaten other WW contenders.

Jones claim will be if and when he fights Hendo and continues to win then he will be the guy, since he will have arguably the best record with the most wins against the toughest schedule ever seen in MMA.

You worded this kind of awkwardly, but it is actually a good point.

GSP fanatics will tell you that is evidence of strong comp, when in reality all it is evidence of is relative parity.

Parity does not equal strength.

Yea, I lost it at the end there. Basically saying GSP's wins are against guys who were able to sidetrack or lost to at one point people GSP has already schooled. When someone gets a close split decision to Kos, sorry Hendricks, even with a Fitch KO, it doesn't set the stage for GSP's "next great challenge"... Guys beating up Alves, Kampmann and Story aren't getting me pumped for GSP's next title defense. It just isn't working anymore.

Awkward again. It's my specialty

GSP is pretty good, but his division is somewhat suspect. I personally find it quality, but I also understand the arguments against.
I'm sorry but lol at WW being suspect that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Jones claim will be if and when he fights Hendo and continues to win then he will be the guy, since he will have arguably the best record with the most wins against the toughest schedule ever seen in MMA.
Toughest schedule ever against people he towers over and bullies around :icon_lol:

meh I haven't watched it in a long time but I think he lost to bisping.The draw with tito was because tito lost a point,he started his ufc career with 3 split decisions to imes hogar (er hoger whatever) and bonnar.He's also had some bottom of the barrel competition..I think his record looks a lot better than it is if you have watched all his fights and almost his entire career as it unfolds.He's certainly got a good record though i'm not disputing that I just don't look at it as 17-2 I look at it as a lucky at times 17-2.Of course you could pick apart anyone's career but I feel like things out of rashad's control have gone well for him.Chuck's chin etc

clap1.gif

So, when you look at Hendo's record you see the dudes he has fought have the most wins, most titles, and are in general, the biggest names in the sport in it's entire history and spans from young upstarts to old legends. From MW champs to HW champs and so on. GSP has beaten WW contenders who have beaten other WW contenders.

Equally though when you look at the record of Hendo's biggest wins(Fedor, Wanderlei, Shogun) the majority of them came after those fighters had already suffered bad loses and shown signs of decline.

Maybe not quite on the level of Mir vs Crocop and Nog where they were way below there previous level but also not as impressive as beating them in there peak years.

Equally though when you look at the record of Hendo's biggest wins(Fedor, Wanderlei, Shogun) the majority of them came after those fighters had already suffered bad loses and shown signs of decline.

Maybe not quite on the level of Mir vs Crocop and Nog where they were way below there previous level but also not as impressive as beating them in there peak years.

Yea, and Hendo still has a tougher schedule, maybe he hasn't beaten the best but he has fought the best - maybe it is Jones after all. I'm so lazy there is no way I am investigating this in fight finder

no surprise, the top 3 on the P4P list.

Anderson, GSP, Jones

That's hilarious.

GSP has failed to get the title his first try, then failed to make one defense in getting TKO'd by Matt Serra (who had never KO'd anyone before that fight, btw) then goes on a long list of decisions over finishable fighters (i.e. Hardy)

The hate is strong in this one

Yea, and Hendo still has a tougher schedule, maybe he hasn't beaten the best but he has fought the best - maybe it is Jones after all. I'm so lazy there is no way I am investigating this in fight finder

Best record would mean best wins would it not? Hendo has way to many losses to have the best record! He has fought the best competition but thats not the same as the BEST record

GSP also has more top 10 wins and top 10 P4P wins

Best record would mean best wins would it not? Hendo has way to many losses to have the best record! He has fought the best competition but thats not the same as the BEST record

GSP also has more top 10 wins and top 10 P4P wins

Huh, through all these pages no one has even mentioned this. GSP, of course. You're a genius, 613, and all this time I have actually been going by the OP and going with toughest opponents when GSP has the most top ten wins. Brilliant. And as I look back at pages I can't see anything that I wrote in defense of Hendo, because if I had, you 613, being the informed man/ skilled debater you are, would have certainly seen such an obvious statement. hmmm

GSP:
Karo Parysian
Jay Hieron
Mayhem Miller
Frank Trigg
Sean Sherk
BJ Penn
Matt Hughes
Josh Koscheck
Matt Hughes
Matt Serra
Jon Fitch
BJ Penn
Thiago Alves
Dan Hardy
Josh Koscheck
Jake Shields
Carlos Condit
and soon to be:
Nick Diaz
Johnny Hendricks

JDS. 9-1 with 7 finishes, against tough competition. You could say that Yvel and Cro Cop were past their prime when he faced them, but that still leaves Carwin, Mir, Cain, Gonzaga, Nelson, Struve, and Werdum.

GSP is number 1 imo, followed by Hendo, Jones, and Fedor in no particular order.

GSP imo. Only two losses in his record and he beat Hughes (x2) and Serra in rematches. He has also done it in arguably the most talent stacked division in UFC.

GSP hands down. Look at his record, even prior to getting the belt.

I find Andersons very weak, considering his were almost entirely title defenses in the UFC.

The "problem" with Anderson is that he has been the champion for ages, so he can't really face "former" champions. And the guys he faces have up and down moments like everyone. When they are up there, they are considered good opponents, but at some point they fade and we get that "he was never good".

It's actually "easier" in a division like LHW, where the guys were pretty close in level to each other and there were a bunch of champions in a short time. Jones arrives as the best of them and beats them one after the other, so he can beat the former champions, since there were still plenty of them competing at high level. If Jones continues tobe dominant as Anderson for several years, you would start hearing the same pseudo-logic on about he doesn't fight anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back