Who has the better stand up, Mcgregor or Aldo?

McGregor has some decent movement while spamming a lot of shit with power behind it. He's huge for the division and he hits hard. Aldo is much more meticulous and sets shit up patiently, and is tighter defensively. I'd definitely go with Aldo. I think he beats McGregor who is too wide open, just asking to be caught. Maybe McGregor even goes the way of Chuck if he ends up being successful. His chin will go and he'll get repeatedly dropped and KO'd.

McGregor has some decent movement while spamming a lot of shit with power behind it. He's huge for the division and he hits hard. Aldo is much more meticulous and sets shit up patiently, and is tighter defensively. I'd definitely go with Aldo. I think he beats McGregor who is too wide open, just asking to be caught. Maybe McGregor even goes the way of Chuck if he ends up being successful. His chin will go and he'll get repeatedly dropped and KO'd.

McGregor uses those flashy kicks to setup and bait his opponent to rush in so he can tag them with his left, and his boxing in general. He isn't just throwing those kicks to throw them. McGregor has plenty of his own setups for his more significant bread and butter strikes. Aldo didn't look very defensively tight in his last fight, he made a lot of mistakes that would've cost him much more against a guy with Conor's striking skill (Mendes is largely still learning to strike at a high level). McGregor may look easy to hit but he isn't, in fact, he only ate one clean punch from Poirier in his last fight and he wasn't fazed.

Him carrying his hands low gives him some real benefits and helps to bait opponents in that are thinking he'll be easy to hit (it's also easier to grab hooks to stuff a shot with the hands down at your waist). The trajectory of the punches is also different, the angles, and the fact that they rise up from below his opponent's line of vision. There's several benefits to doing this and not keeping the traditional high guard up (Anderson knows of the benefits too). Conor is good at rolling with punches and using his footwork to get out of the way, he knows how to slip and deflect/parry strikes too. I've never seen him hurt by a strike in his career.

McGregor uses those flashy kicks to setup and bait his opponent to rush in so he can tag them with his left, and his boxing in general. He isn't just throwing those kicks to throw them. McGregor has plenty of his own setups for his more significant bread and butter strikes. Aldo didn't look very defensively tight in his last fight, he made a lot of mistakes that would've cost him much more against a guy with Conor's striking skill (Mendes is largely still learning to strike at a high level). McGregor may look easy to hit but he isn't, in fact, he only ate one clean punch from Poirier in his last fight and he wasn't fazed.

Him carrying his hands low gives him some real benefits and helps to bait opponents in that are thinking he'll be easy to hit (it's also easier to grab hooks to stuff a shot with the hands down at your waist). The trajectory of the punches is also different, the angles, and the fact that they rise up from below his opponent's line of vision. There's several benefits to doing this and not keeping the traditional high guard up (Anderson knows of the benefits too). Conor is good at rolling with punches and using his footwork to get out of the way, he knows how to slip and deflect/parry strikes too. I've never seen him hurt by a strike in his career.

You don't keep a chin like that for long if you fight wide open that way against the best.

Only one of them is knocking heads clean off. Tink about it.

mcgregor at 145. aldo as he's aged has gotten bigger. his tank isn't as good anymore at 145 because of the harder cut.

I should also add Aldo is bettet at everything grappling wise. Making him a slight favorite.

God I hope he's a slight favourite. If Aldo is -150 I will be getting a new car.

You're being serious? We just discussed Aldo's leg kicks in this thread. You might want to go and read it. Unless Aldo makes a change or two, he won't be leg kicking McGregor with the power that he typically enjoys against opponents of the same stance as himself (McGregor is a southpaw). Jabbing will naturally be affected too (until the proper inside/outside angle is established). This isn't going to be a fight that's a leg kicking clinic, I can tell you that much. Not to mention that Conor knows exactly how significant Aldo's leg kicks are, where against Poirier he wasn't concerned in the least about them from him.

hahaha gtfo you god damn keyboard warrior. Its almost like Aldo doesn't know how to set up kicks.

You don't keep a chin like that for long if you fight wide open that way against the best.

I doubt he'll be fighting as laxed against Aldo as he has against the other lower caliber opponents he's fought. He'll find a happy medium somewhere with it I'm sure.

hahaha gtfo you god damn keyboard warrior. Its almost like Aldo doesn't know how to set up kicks.

Wth are you talking about? It isn't my fault you don't understand the technical aspects of what will be required for Aldo to utilize an effective strategy for low kicking. Also, how will Aldo be kicking his legs when McGregor is backing him up and putting him on his back foot? He won't be kicking because he won't be able to. McGregor is a very effective pressure-counter fighter while Aldo is mostly a counter fighter. McGregor will be dictating where the fight goes in the standup, it's up to Aldo to try and dictate whether or not it'll go to the ground.

I doubt he'll be fighting as laxed against Aldo as he has against the other lower caliber opponents he's fought. He'll find a happy medium somewhere with it I'm sure.

Wth are you talking about? It isn't my fault you don't understand the technical aspects of what will be required for Aldo to utilize an effective strategy for low kicking. Also, how will Aldo be kicking his legs when McGregor is backing him up and putting him on his back foot? He won't be kicking because he won't be able to. McGregor is a very effective pressure-counter fighter while Aldo is mostly a counter fighter. McGregor will be dictating where the fight goes in the standup, it's up to Aldo to try and dictate whether or not it'll go to the ground.

:icon_cry2

Until proven or soundly evidenced otherwise through actual performances, Aldo.

Go and watch the Siver vs Rosa fight. Siver's BJJ is sick and his wrestling is also A+. Haters said put McGregor up against a wrestler, he gets a striker with far better wrestling and BJJ than he has.......

Back