Who has the better stand up, Mcgregor or Aldo?

the Holloway fight was 3 rounds and i think its the only time Conor has gone that long in a fight. The Aldo fight will be 5 rounds. I think Conor will be tough for the first couple rounds but the longer the fight goes, the worse for Conor.

Aldo has been fading after the third round lately. Also Conor's style is to not let up at all from his opponent and he has the ability to use footwork, which Chad Mendes attempted to do in the second bout but he didn't keep it up the entire fight. Plus McGregor has distance on his side so he won't have to fight a close fight like mendes did.

Aldo is an animal, and in his last fight with Mendes, both of those guys looked like they were striking on a speed level above anyone else in the division. Both of them, and frankie edgar would maul mcgregor.

Aldo is an animal, and in his last fight with Mendes, both of those guys looked like they were striking on a speed level above anyone else in the division. Both of them, and frankie edgar would maul mcgregor.

Who's to say this won't be brought out of McGregor in his fight against Aldo? If anything that's what I expect because Conor never overreacts when he gets hit

As a decently supportive fan of Conor I have to say that TS definitely made some presumptuous and obviously biased, bs claims. Saying that Conor would "destroy" Aldo on the feet in 5-10 min. and then claiming Aldo showed "many holes against Mendes" (yet fails to point out even one hole with his "little bit of boxing knowledge") is either retarded fanboyism or some damn decent trolling. Either way, shitting on Frankie's and Chad's striking but omitting how Aldo (or any of his last 5 opponents for that matter) would match up against Hollaway (decent striker), and mediocre strikers in Brandao, Brimage, and Poirer would be disingenuous to any mediocre MMA fan.

That said, I do believe Conor has the edge in overall striking, but the OP probably gave us cancer with that shit post. I think Conor edges Aldo out via angles/lateral movement, comparable agility/speed but a sizeable reach/height advantage (this is big), and IMO superior counters (dat left). He's also a southpaw. Aldo is no slouch with his footwork tho and not far behind with his boxing, and obviously more versed in MT. I also think Aldo would have the advantage in the pocket even with his hands, but even more so with his kicks.

Honestly though Aldo is clearly more experienced, and most likely a tier or two above in grappling. Nobody talks about Aldo's offensive wrestling, but from what he's showed along with his TDD, it's safe to say he can and (if he's smart) will take Conor down. Maynard would agree with me.

Aldo has better fundamentals, but mcgregor is more creative and I'll say a little more fluid

McGregor is more open with his style, it's more free form. He doesn't confine himself to one particular style of striking and blends Boxing, Kickboxing (Karate & TKD) and some Capoeira into it. As for saying he's a "little more fluid", he's a lot more fluid. A simple eyeball test alone will tell you this much. Aldo's movement is a bit choppy and he lacks tempo changes with his striking, particularly his punching. He's always looking to explode while Conor will mix up the speed/tempo of his strikes and punches to throw off his opponent's timing of them.

I'll always favor a guy with a boxing base over a MT base. As this sport evolves, boxing will become more and more important. Boxers have a unique understanding of how to fight in the pocket because boxing is the most evolved of all combat sports.

Same here.

It's an interesting match up because Aldo's best weapon isn't leg kicks, it's the jab. His jab will be negated because Conor is a southpaw who can control distance.

Unless Aldo can consistently get on the inside with it (take a dominant inside angle) and/or hook off of his jab. But, this would leave him closer to Conor's power hand (his left) and that left straight for him is money.

Aldo has been very hittable lately and Conor has special power. Watch how guys like Brimage, Holloway and Poirier wilted when they felt that power.

You mean this type of reaction? :icon_lol:

conoranddustin.jpg

After he tasted his power, he looked like the hunted worse than he did even before that.

A hard leg kick to thr inside of the leg is worse than to the outside imo. Also increases the chance of taking him off his feet.

What Steve08 is saying is that it's harder to low kick a southpaw if you're an orthodox, which is the case here (and jabbing too, which he also mentioned). This is why most guys wanting to employ a leg kicking stategy (see: RDA vs. Nate Diaz) will mirror their opponent's stance so that their rear leg is lined up with their opponent's lead leg for battering it with powerful kicks. A rear leg low kick is slower, as he said, and more telegraphed because it has a farther distance to travel. You also need the proper angle toward their lead leg to use it well, and then you have to maintain that angle to consistently use it. Aldo will want to get his lead foot outside of Conor's lead foot, so there's less distance to travel, making the kick faster, and so he isn't tripping himself up while trying to throw it with force. Have someone stand directly across from you in the southpaw stance, and stay orthodox, have your lead foot lined up with theirs neutrally and you'll see what he (and I) are talking about. Lead leg low kicks, which he mentioned, can work but you won't have nearly as much power with it in comparison to the rear leg (Dustin Poirier used his lead leg to land some leg kicks against Conor but they were quite weak).

Conor improves at a an extremely fast pace. He will is and will be even more better than Aldo in their fight.

Conors got better boxing, Aldo has better kicks and knees.

I should also add Aldo is bettet at everything grappling wise. Making him a slight favorite.

That said; his footwork is outstanding, and it seems like his cardio goes for days. Add the concussive power in his hands; and you've got a h-ll of a fight.
i don't think mcgregor's cardio has been tested much. One three round fight on his record. I don't remember how his gas tank looked in the Holloway fight, although I do remember it being a total domination on his part.

I really hope McGregor doesn't tattoo his whole body in American Traditional Tattoos. Such a stupid fucking fad.

Connor moves better but thats about it. That won't mean shit once Aldo lands one good leg kick.

i don't think mcgregor's cardio has been tested much. One three round fight on his record. I don't remember how his gas tank looked in the Holloway fight, although I do remember it being a total domination on his part.

vM9GB3.gif

I agree with your assessment of it being mostly untested, but he looked great in the Holloway match.

Connor moves better but thats about it. That won't mean shit once Aldo lands one good leg kick.

You're being serious? We just discussed Aldo's leg kicks in this thread. You might want to go and read it. Unless Aldo makes a change or two, he won't be leg kicking McGregor with the power that he typically enjoys against opponents of the same stance as himself (McGregor is a southpaw). Jabbing will naturally be affected too (until the proper inside/outside angle is established). This isn't going to be a fight that's a leg kicking clinic, I can tell you that much. Not to mention that Conor knows exactly how significant Aldo's leg kicks are, where against Poirier he wasn't concerned in the least about them from him.

Back