Who has the Best Boxing in the UFC?

Hmm dont wanna get drawn in a de ate, but if defensively boxing you think anderson is great, then youve never seen mayweather or the klitschos box.its the downfall of counter fighters, majority box with there hands low.

last time I checked Mayweather and Klitschko weren't fighting MMA.

Hmm dont wanna get drawn in a de ate, but if defensively boxing you think anderson is great, then youve never seen mayweather or the klitschos box.its the downfall of counter fighters, majority box with there hands low.

It's mma. High hands is counterproductive for the MMA striker. It's a good way to get grapple fucked to a decision.

It's mma. High hands is counterproductive for the MMA striker. It's a good way to get grapple fucked to a decision.

Yeah, there isn't anybody who you'd say has good boxing in MMA that keeps their hands up high (and also wins consistently at a high levels).

Well you could say having the hands low is a good way to get ktfo.which happened to anderson v weidman, maybe if he had his hands up while slipping hed still be the champ

I thought we were talking boxing in mma?

we do, that's why bringing pure boxers into the game is nonsense.

I was merely giving an example of what a good defensive boxer looks like.

that isn't the question though. Of course pure boxers have better defence but we're taling in the context of MMA here.

we do, that's why bringing pure boxers into the game is nonsense.

that isn't the question though. Of course pure boxers have better defence but we're taling in the context of MMA here.

Ok you win, anderson has the greatest boxing in mma.

Foot placement matters more for stuffing TDs than where you keep your hands. Keeping your hands low just increases your chances of getting tagged, which in turn can throw you off balance and make you easier to take down.

Anderson doesn't drop his hands to stuff TDs, he does it to bait his opponent into throwing a punch so he can slip it and counter.

Jose Aldo and Renan Barao both have their hands up high most of the time, and both are notoriously difficult to take down. Their TDD success rate has a lot to do with their footwork and hips.

Maldanado or Cub Swanson

I would've gone NIck Diaz but his pitter patter style is off putting to me.

If you're going to be immature, we can stop this. If you're interested in having a rational debate, we can continue. I'm being objective here, whether you believe it or not.
Like I said, your AV tells me you're never going to be capable of having your mind changed. So this is just an exercise in me having fun.

No it's not. It's a pretty commonly used phrase in boxing because most fighters want to retire without brain damage.
We can play pretend all day but not getting hit doesn't mean you win. It means you don't get hit. It's not called dodging, it's called boxing.

Cain Velasquez, Chris Weidman, TJ Dillashaw off the top of my head.
Pressure wrestling =/= pressure boxing. And Dillashaw is a Cruz-style in-and-out boxer.

If he did, he wouldn't get hit as often as he does.
Once again, this is folly. Getting hit or not does not signify a great boxer. It signifies a particular style of boxing. Look at the Raging Bull. Look at George Foreman. These are epic boxers.

You seem to confuse someone with great footwork as someone being a great boxer.

Name one fight where he didn't slip and counter with punches.
See.

You're right, you also need good timing with your punches, sharp counters, good feints, a great jab, good punch accuracy, hand speed, punch variety, and good set-ups. Anderson has all of those.

You only need results. You can be winging like Wanderlei, and as long as you're using it effectively, you're a great boxer. This isn't a style-points competition. This is about effective skillsets.

Anderson is an amazing fighter. He is great at what he does.... which is Muay Thai.

Yes, he does use boxing now and then. Good call on Okami. So Griffin and Okami are what he's got as far as boxing that won him fights. Now look at the endless amount of Muay Thai.

He's not the best muay thai fighter in the world.
I meant in MMA, obviously.

Conor McGregor. Just a simple look at his straight left:

Yup.

McGregor's boxing is extremely slick and I don't think some people realize just how good his boxing really is.

McGregor's boxing is well ahead of Jose Aldo's in every single way. Aldo has a good jab, but what else? Aldo leaves so much to be desired with his hands. As of right now, I believe Conor has the sharpest boxing in the division.

Cub Swanson has some good boxing as well and has improved in that aspect a lot in the last few years. I'd love to see McGregor vs. Swanson, I'd love to see those guys in just a pure boxing match, I'd pay top dollar for that shit. I think Conor would get 'em though. Conor has been far more impressive in his few fights in the UFC than Cub has been since coming over from WEC. Conor was far more impressive against Dustin, whereas Cub had an all out, back-and-forth war with him. Cub also had a competitive fight against Siver, whereas Conor just killed him easily.

Let's not forget about the recent signing of Joe Duffy though. He's got some sharp hands on him as well, he's all-around a very dangerous guy. I'd like to see a rematch with McGregor, not only because he beat Conor the first time, but because boxing-wise, it would be a very competitive fight, either that, or someone just gets completely owned. I think Joe Duffy is gonna make some real noise in the division and is going to be quite impressive.

Thats gunna be your first post? you'll fit in just fine here lol.

Well, Mousasi actually does have some pretty decent boxing. He's got a great jab and he puts together some really nice combinations overall with his boxing. Overall, his boxing is good but sometimes it seems like he can't adapt when things aren't going his way. Sometimes it seems like he doesn't have a plan B. If he can't get his jab going, it's like he can't get anything going sometimes.

Nobody in the UFC really has elite pure boxing. The best today though would probably be Gustafsson, McGregor, Maybe Anderson - While Diaz isn't technically the best his output and style potentially translates to boxing better than anybody in the UFC & would likely be the most successful.

Nick's boxing is a lot more technical than some people realize.

He's not just going out there and brawling his opponents out. He has a very good and accurate jab that he uses to push his opponent back, he uses it very well to set up his combinations and he always does a very good job at baiting his opponents with it.

I think sometimes people will look at him and say his boxing isn't that great because of his defense, but he doesn't necessarily just take a shot in order to land a couple of his own, a lot of times, he's baiting his opponent to throw so he can counter.

A good example of this is his fight against Marius Zaromskis. Nick baited Zaromskis to throw the rear straight, and when he did, Nick would roll with the punch and immediately come back with either a rear straight of his own, or a left hook. He used his reach and his jab very well in that fight as well.

He doesn't just go in and try to outbrawl his opponent. Nick does a fine job at setting his punches up and he doesn't have to brawl his opponent out to win. If you watch his rematch with KJ Noons, it shows a more technical side to Nick's boxing. It shows that he can do more than just try to beat his opponent down towards the fence, it shows he can stand in the center and he can box with his opponent and pick them apart with very well timed shots and combinations.

Offensively, Nick's boxing is great, we all know that. Defensively, it could definitely be better but Nick's defense is far better than people give him credit for. He doesn't just drop his hands and let you punch him in the face, he's baiting his opponent a lot of times and he will try to roll with the strike and come back with a counter. If Nick's defense was truly as bad as some people say it is, Paul Daley would've taken his fucking head off. Same with Robbie Lawler and many other guys. Nick's defense is good enough to get him by against some very dangerous strikers.

JDS's boxing isn't bad, but while moving backwards, he's seriously lacking. Let's not forget that he's very limited with his combinations, meaning that he he only throws so many different strikes. He starts his combination the same, and he ends it the same, and his opponents are catching on, just take the Stipe fight for example. Stipe knew Junior wouldn't throw more than 1-3 punches and he'd literally drop his hands after Junior was finishing throwing. He literally dropped his hands while standing right in front of Junior because he knew Junior was finished with his attack, Stipe knew he could get away with this.

When Junior is able to take control of the center and fight at his pace, he looks amazing. When he's able to take control with his jab and keep the fight at his own pace and make his opponent a little weary, Junior's boxing looks crisp as fuck.

But when his opponent is able to effectively push Junior back, keep him on his heels, Junior struggles a lot. I think Junior really needs to work on his ability to counter while moving backwards. He really, really struggles when his opponent is able to pressure him correctly.

Look at Junior when he's moving backwards, how often he gets tagged, how when he's trying to counter, sometimes he has nothing on his strikes because he doesn't know how to use his weight correctly, either it's that, or because he's worried that he's going to get tagged if he steps into his strike while moving backwards and his opponent is being the aggressor.

Then look at Anthony Pettis while he's moving backwards. Pettis' boxing looked unbelievable against Gilbert Melendez. Melendez was using tons of forward pressure, throwing some pretty crazy combinations and Pettis was able to circle very well and he was able to land some serious power while on his heels. Pettis' countering ability is great, and this guy is a TKD guy.

Pettis' base is TKD, whereas Junior's is boxing, yet Pettis has shown to be way more impressive, as well as effective, with his boxing from a defensive aspect. Then again, Pettis is truly just a special fighter.

Junior's boxing is great offensively and he always looks to be an unbelievably good boxer when he's able to fight at his own pace. But when his opponent effectively pushes him back, Junior's counters are lacking and his footwork is pretty awful sometimes, too, because he'll move in straight lines sometimes and get backed up towards the fence, he'll then drop his hands and get tagged and I believe that's because he thinks his opponent will shoot for the TD.

There's a few glaring holes Junior needs to work on and it would only make his boxing be more effective. If he really worked on his ability to circle away from the fence before his back hits it, he'll be able to keep the fight in the center more often and it will be tougher for his opponent to keep him under some heavy pressure and make them less successful.

Junior needs to work on his countering ability more. He did show better counters in the rubber match against Cain, but it seemed that he still moved in straight lines and would get cut off at the fence rather easily. I don't know if Junior truly worked on moving backwards and landing punches, or if he just simply decided, "I'm going to just be more aggressive this time".

Junior has to stop dropping his hands so much. I believe he does this because he thinks his opponent will shoot for a TD, so naturally, he'll drop his hands to make sure his opponent isn't going to take him down. But he gets tagged so often because of this. Cain was able to mix it up so well and confuse the guy and make him drop his hands, Cain would then land a combination and as soon as Junior would put his hands up to block, Cain would shoot for the TD. It was literally the perfect gameplan.

Junior needs to evolve if he wants to be the champion again and part of that is that he really needs to work on his ability to counter while moving backwards under a lot of pressure, he needs to work on his footwork - he needs to work on his ability to circle away from the fence while moving backwards instead of moving in a straight line, being cut off, then dropping his hands and getting tagged.

Again about his counters - he needs to learn/find a way to put more power in his strikes while moving backwards. Right before Junior got dropped in the 2nd fight against Cain, Junior threw a lazy jab and Cain came over with the right hand and put him down. That's what I'm talking about when I say he needs to put more power in his strikes while countering/moving backwards.

If he planted his feet or stepped into the punch, he could've landed a stiff jab but he just threw a lazy jab and Cain walked through it and then dropped him.

One thing I noticed in the Stipe fight with Junior, is that he's shown while moving backwards, how he can effectively switch to southpaw and land counter jabs. That impressed me because he had so much success with it. He was under a lot of pressure in that fight and he did great with landing that counter jab from the southpaw stance. I liked seeing that.

Junior also needs to work on some new set ups/combinations. He needs to throw more than 1-3 punches at a time. He really does. He needs to stop ending almost every combination with an uppercut, an overhand, or a left hook. He needs to do something else. His opponents are expecting this. They know he will start his attack with the jab, and they know he will end it with one of those 3 strikes I just mentioned.

Stipe literally knew what Junior was going to do half of the time. Junior would throw 1-3 at a time, and Stipe knew this, and when Junior would end his attack (with either the overhand, uppercut, or left hook) Stipe would literally drop his hands. Why? because he knew Junior wasn't going to throw more than 3 strikes at a time. He knew he could drop his hands and get away with it. He knew exactly what Junior was going to do at those points.

I'll cut it here. I doubt anybody read all of this and that's fine. I rant too much. Junior really needs to make a change in his camp or something or else he will never be the champion again or he's going to start losing to guys that he never should've lost to.

Conor McGregor. Just a simple look at his straight left:

cross%2Bcounters.gif

The only weapon he has for his boxing game.

I'm not surprised you got dubbs. You're extremely delousional.

Did you seriously just say that's the only weapon he has with his hands?

Have you ever actually watched Conor fight before?

You never noticed the lead uppercut/upjab? the rear uppercut he used to hurt Marcus Brimage? the left hook he used to stun Poirier twice before dropping him?

Conor has much more than a counter left. With his boxing alone, Conor throws everything at you with his hands. It's just that his rear straight is his money shot. Whether it be countering or leading with it.

The only person ITT that is delusional is you. Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Please, watch the fights before you speak about them.

Thanks.

If you believe that, you've never seen him fight.

As far as the dubs, got it for posting in a ban-me-now type thread. A mistake, but not as egregious as you were hoping for I'm sure. Good to know you care so much about me. :icon_lol:

Back