Who even wants to see Jones vs Miocic? Who is Dana talking about?

bjjwar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Everyone i know much rather see Jones face a real contender in a guy like Aspinall then a poor 42yr old man that got KO'ed in his last fight and hasn't fought for over 2 years.

So who is Dana talking about when he says everyone wants to see this fight?

Of course fans will watch it, i mean, we even watch Jessica Eye if she's on the card and we rather watch Jones vs Miocic then no Jones at at all, but i haven't seen one single person who wouldn't rather see Jones face someone who could potentially make it a fight than this gimmick fight vs a broken grandpa. If Jones had fans i'd say his fans because they know its an easy win, but the mma community from what i've seen think it's a joke fight...

Everyone i know much rather see Jones face a real contender in a guy like Aspinall then a poor 42yr old man that got KO'ed in his last fight and hasn't fought for over 2 years.

So who is Dana talking about when he says everyone wants to see this fight?

Of course fans will watch it, i mean, we even watch Jessica Eye if she's on the card and we rather watch Jones vs Miocic then no Jones at at all, but i haven't seen one single person who wouldn't rather see Jones face someone who could potentially make it a fight than this gimmick fight vs a broken grandpa. If Jones had fans i'd say his fans because they know its an easy win, but the mma community from what i've seen think it's a joke fight...
I personally want Jones v Aspinall and have little to no interest in watching a bag of peds fighting a corpse.

HW GOAT vs ALL TIME GOAT

That fight sells itself.
It kinda doesn't, because those are labels that are in great part attributed by the UFC (Dana) to Stipe and Jones, not the MMA community as a whole.
Since they have somewhat flat personalities and they are both old, with Stipe mainly just being used to inflate Jon's legacy, Dana has to convince us this IS what we want to see, when it's not. Do we want to see Stipe and/or Jon fight? Sure, given how stale the HW division is and how seldom these guys fight. But would we rather see Jon fight one of the younger guys to cement his supposed GOAT status (especially at HW)? Most definitely.

HW GOAT vs ALL TIME GOAT

That fight sells itself. Whether or not the GOAT past is true doesn't matter when you are promoting it to your average Joe.

Not hard to understand what is going on here...
Let's take you for example, i'm sure you'd rather see Jones fight someone else? Everyone i read here thinks the same. So who tf is Dana talking about? Casuals have no idea who Stipe is. I really don't even see 1 person saying Jones vs Stipe. Stipe is not a big name, no one knows him anymore. I've not seen 1 news about him since 2 years before Jones mentioned him.

Let's take you for example, i'm sure you'd rather see Jones fight someone else? Everyone i read here thinks the same. So who tf is Dana talking about? Casuals have no idea who Stipe is. I really don't even see 1 person saying Jones vs Stipe. Stipe is not a big name, no one knows him anymore. I've not seen 1 news about him since 2 years before Jones mentioned him.

I want to watch Jones fight, against who is less important to me :)

Casuals know about Stipe, and unfortunately not so much about Pavlovich. There's the answer.
Unfortunately true.

Casuals often lag significantly behind the current events of the UFC.

I recall people who didn't follow the sport closely thinking Chuck Liddell and Brock were champs several years after each had lost their title.

It's cute that after all these years some of you still think Dana is selling to the educated fans that post on message boards, don't pay for his product, and in 99%of cases he'd like to see jailed.

He's selling to the ones that recognize names but not much else, the mass consumers that actually pay for his product, and different values are what matter there. Whether they recognize Stipe or not doesn't even matter, "HW GOAT and former champ with X defenses" > anything you can say about Aspinall or Pav today, at least in that context.

It's fucking marketing

(I'm not knocking Aspinall or Pav, iiwii)

"Me and my friends would never go watch Beyonce. How on earth is she she gonna sell out concerts??"

Dana isn't even trying to sell this effectively as a necessary fight, it's more a fight he is putting together just so he can say jones is the goat of mma

Which he isn't

I want to see it because Stipe is the only name that is a lock for a resume booster. Jones never really gets credit for the Gane win, the new narrative is Gane is a whitebelt rather than Jones earned it. Even Stipe fight will be questioned for his age, but of all options it's the only true name to add to his legacy that means anything.

Aspinall or Pavlovich could end up with a better record and become champion, but they both could be hypetrains that end up crashing. Blaydes beating Aspinall or Overeem beating Pavlovich hasn't exactly changed opinion on their legacies too much.

I agree with you in general,but it's not like it won't sell. They threw enough advertisement and promotion that even people that barely watch anymore know about it. I agree I'd rather see 1 last defense against Tom.

Yes Jones has fans, (possibly his relatives?) that have a bizarre notion you must despise him to want him to take a legitimate fight before calling it a career.

Whata funny is that this fight isn't happening so he is gonna hold up the division for 2 old men that will never fight.

Back