Who Else Thinks That Machida Would Destroy Gustafsson

Thank you.

Crazy how far boxing defense can take you. Sadly, most MMA fighters have yet realize this. Anderson and Gus sure have though (more so Andy).

Gus still has a lot of holes in his boxing defense (which you kind of alluded to). He does that sloppy, fully extend your arms in your opponent's face thing too much. Which is OK against shorter guys, but against someone with Jones' reach or Machida's "reach" with his techniques, can get you caught.

Jones does this a lot, and that's how Machida caught him in the first round of their fight. Gus might have the chin to get away with it, but it's still a hole none the less.

I am the dude you've been calling a moron, just as an FYI. I can't tell if this is supposed to be a tacit acknowledgement that we at least agree on this one thing, or if you just didn't know it was me.

if you admit that gustafsson would have a good shot at beating evans, i've got no beef with you. :p

I just love watching Gustafsson fight man. His boxing is high level stuff to watch. Hence why he's the 8th most dangerous striker in MMA when it comes to knockdowns.

exactly, and its just not his level of striking...but the way he flows out there. his footwork is smooth, his strikes are quick yet loose, you never see him tense him up before or while throwing a combo and that is essentially key.

Gus still has a lot of holes in his boxing defense (which you kind of alluded to). He does that sloppy, fully extend your arms in your opponent's face thing too much. Which is OK against shorter guys, but against someone with Jones' reach or Machida's "reach" with his techniques, can get you caught.

Jones does this a lot, and that's how Machida caught him in the first round of their fight. Gus might have the chin to get away with it, but it's still a hole none the less.

No idea how he would get caught in that position because he has two things going for him when he does that. First when he puts his hands stretched out like that his shoulder's are covering his chin. Secondly, because as you pointed out he has a chin.

I don't think Machida would destroy Gustafsson beat him yes ..destroy I'm pretty sure that's a negative.

exactly, and its just not his level of striking...but the way he flows out there. his footwork is smooth, his strikes are quick yet loose, you never see him tense him up before or while throwing a combo and that is essentially key.

Dude trains 2-3 times a day. 8 sessions a week(everyday) , 12 sessions when he has a fight coming up. Its 2nd nature to him. Plus it doesn't hurt when you have the former Olympic boxing coach as your main trainer xD.

Gustafsson is laughably overrated on here. He would lose to Machida, Rashad, Hendo and Jones.

Unless Hendo gets a quick KO there's no way he's beating Gustafsson, Hendo would tire and lose the last two rounds. Secondly, losing to Machida, Rashad, and Jones the three best LHW's in the world doesn't make you overrated.

Every thing he's gotten(hype) is because he's earned it.

Only because he's been fighting longer(Andy).

Of course, Anderson has been training for longer as well. He also said he fell in love with boxing when he started it, hence him sticking to it.

Yeah, he still has a way to go but as of now he is still far ahead of the majority of people in his division. I really wouldn't mind seeing a fight between him and Silva down the road. It would a good display of "MMA Boxing".

I think he can certainly win a dec or a TKO if he lands the right. But I wouldnt bet on him to destroy Gus.

I think that it could be competitive but it depends on the first round.

Gus had alot of problems finding his range and only really controlled the pace with Shogun in the latter half of the fight.

You can't do that with Machida unless you have a gameplan to slow him down for the later rounds with body shots and/or kicks.

Gus would need a very well executed gameplan to beat Machida if he didn't have one against Lyoto then yeah I'd see Machida outclassing him.

I'd favor Lyoto by a moderate margin. Either way it would be an interesting battle in the clinch if Gus can close distance. Lyoto has great TDD due in large part to his control of distance but in the clinch he has been taken down via trips by Soko, Page, Shogun(very briefly), and JJ(started with a trip and chained into a double leg).

I would be confident in Machida KO'ing Gus.

That being said, I think Jones and Machida are the only two that beat Gus at LHW.

I think Machida's elusive style will make it really tough for Gus to handle. Machida is very mobile and doesn't use the peek-a-boo defense that Shogun uses, which was, in my opinion, favorable for Gus's boxing.

In a 3-round fight, I don't think Machida can KO Gus, who has proven to have a solid chin. A UD victory for Machida is more likely. As for Gus, if he comes in like he did against Shogun, I doubt he'd win a UD against Machida.

Absolutely 100% agree with you TS. Machida owns Gus.

People forget the only person to ever solve Machida is Shogun in striking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back