Who do you consider to be the Greatest Strongman of All Time?

Since the sport is young...When it comes to level of attention. WSM/Giants Live/Arnold's are all relatively young.

Big Z right now is like the Rocky Marciano of the sport.

Pudz is also a very honorable mention seeing as he has 5x won. Also being relatively small in stature compared to his compatriots who most weighed near or well above 400lbs. His frame wasn't nearly as large as Z or Shaw. You could tell by the size of his hands and the trouble he had with large gripping events.

You've got some amazing guys right now and upcoming who might surpass these guys.

Thor just keeps getting stronger and more athletic as time goes by. He is also still young in age. He has the same level of strength as guys like Z and Shaw...But the speed of some of the lower weighted competitors. Watching him and Martins Licis doing a loading race just shows how insane his athleticism is for a 440lbs man. Guys that size aren't supposed to be able to move like that. Not to mention placing third at WSM even with fucking up his foot on day 1.

Martins Licis, Mateusz, the bigger Stoltman brother, Novikov. All great strongmen and they are young.

It's an exciting time to be a fan to say the least.
My only problems with adding Pudz to the list is he won some of his 5 titles when there was a split in strongman, and some of the best competed in IFSA. Also, he avoided competing at the Arnold due to it being the heaviest comp. Mind you he was not big enough to do well there. In that time period if y go back and look at the events, they catered to Pudz. That being said, he dominated the lighter/faster events like no one else in history. Depends on your personal definition of "strongestman".

Like others mentioned probably Big Z, especially if we're talking pure strength.

Is it not Pudzianowski? I've only been a casual fan of strongman events over the years but he just looked like a damn comic book villain. And he does have the all-time WSM record at 5 wins.

Marius was a beast, although some of his wins came during a split in strongman where all top competitors didn't compete at WSM(2005-2008 I believe) His domination in the Strongman Super Series is extremely impressive.

He also failed a drug test at the 2004 WSM, and I doubt if steroids were the culprit/even tested..... he was forced into rehab so I imagine something to increase cardio or eliminate pain...stimulants or amphetamines. This could have been a dramatic and unfair advantage.

He was never the strongest statically and avoided pure strength competitions like the Arnold, this to me is why I don't include him the GOAT conversation, but either 2 or 3?????

Anyone have insight on how important Magnusson really was? I feel like he was the guy in the late 80's early 90's when WSM was on late night TV. I was always so fascinated by him...

4x WSM winner, won the Iceland's SM a bunch of times and did well at Powerlifting. He was a continuation of Jon Pall's mobile yet extremely strong legacy. He just didn't have top success as long as Big Z, no one has and maybe no one ever will.

Shaw, like Big Z, was great when competition wasn't as fearce or athletic. The guys coming up now might not be as strong with static strength events...But they completely fool him when any kind of speed or agility is involved. Stoltman made Shaw look like molasses in the stone race.

Shaw never evolved, he is just the same guy but older. You look at him from a pure strength and technical pov...and He is still strong as ever. The guys coming up are FUCKING SERIOUS about not just being strong, but about mobility and speed and diet.

Even Thor has evolved to become a very quick giant...Or else he would fall by the wayside like Shaw is.

I think Shaw is very serious about mobility and diet, but at his size, how mobile can one be?

Marius was a beast, although some of his wins came during a split in strongman where all top competitors didn't compete at WSM(2005-2008 I believe) His domination in the Strongman Super Series is extremely impressive.

He also failed a drug test at the 2004 WSM, and I doubt if steroids were the culprit/even tested..... he was forced into rehab so I imagine something to increase cardio or eliminate pain...stimulants or amphetamines. This could have been a dramatic and unfair advantage.

He was never the strongest statically and avoided pure strength competitions like the Arnold, this to me is why I don't include him the GOAT conversation, but either 2 or 3?????

4x WSM winner, won the Iceland's SM a bunch of times and did well at Powerlifting. He was a continuation of Jon Pall's mobile yet extremely strong legacy. He just didn't have top success as long as Big Z, no one has and maybe no one ever will.

I think Shaw is very serious about mobility and diet, but at his size, how mobile can one be?

Shaw is far less mobile/agile/quick as Thor. They are practically the same size yet Thor is running circles around him.

Thor is the biggest challenge to Z's legacy right now, and the competition is fierce as hell.

Shaw is far less mobile/agile/quick as Thor. They are practically the same size yet Thor is running circles around him.

Thor is the biggest challenge to Z's legacy right now, and the competition is fierce

Thor is the biggest challenge to Z's legacy right now, and the competition is fierce as hell.
I like Thor and often root for him, but i just dont see him winning multiple more Arnolds and 3-4 more WSM with the talent that is out there and the talent that will come up in the next 5 years or so.

I like Thor and often root for him, but i just dont see him winning multiple more Arnolds and 3-4 more WSM with the talent that is out there and the talent that will come up in the next 5 years or so.

I do, he is as fast as the smaller guys and is just getting stronger.

Martins would have had another 2nd place podium finish if Thor had no injured his foot. The fact he came in 3rd is a testament to how good he is.
Usually the newer/younger guys have a speed advantage over bigger/older strongmen...That goes right out the window with Thor.

I'm surprised more people don't see it...He is a hybrid of "big man" and "athlete".

I'm still happy for Martins though, probably the best personality and funniest guy in strongman right now. Great ambassador for the sport.

I do, he is as fast as the smaller guys and is just getting stronger.

Martins would have had another 2nd place podium finish if Thor had no injured his foot. The fact he came in 3rd is a testament to how good he is.
Usually the newer/younger guys have a speed advantage over bigger/older strongmen...That goes right out the window with Thor.

I'm surprised more people don't see it...He is a hybrid of "big man" and "athlete".

I'm still happy for Martins though, probably the best personality and funniest guy in strongman right now. Great ambassador for the sport.

He is only 30 and will probably hit his peak strength soon. Barring injury he could definitely surpass Brian Shaw, but I think he would have to stay a top strongman until 40 to reach Zydrunis' heights or come close.

He is only 30 and will probably hit his peak strength soon. Barring injury he could definitely surpass Brian Shaw, but I think he would have to stay a top strongman until 40 to reach Zydrunis' heights or come close.

Z had that advantage of having guys who were not on his strength level for a while. When Shaw showed up that changed things. Context definitely matters here because Thor is facing fiercer threats now in comparison. There are more athletic big men in strongman now than ever.

Z was like Gordie Howe(hockey). Howe was the shit...Then the 80's and 90's rolled around and EVERYONE was now on that level. We are like in THAT stage of the sport I feel.

Eddie Hall touched on this in one of Martins' videos during WSM. Eddie was saying it's a great time for strongman because it isn't just two guys...and then the rest of the pack like it used to be. It's not a top heavy sport anymore.

Z had that advantage of having guys who were not on his strength level for a while. When Shaw showed up that changed things. Context definitely matters here because Thor is facing fiercer threats now in comparison. There are more athletic big men in strongman now than ever.

Z was like Gordie Howe(hockey). Howe was the shit...Then the 80's and 90's rolled around and EVERYONE was now on that level. We are like in THAT stage of the sport I feel.

Eddie Hall touched on this in one of Martins' videos during WSM. Eddie was saying it's a great time for strongman because it isn't just two guys...and then the rest of the pack like it used to be. It's not a top heavy sport anymore.
The hardest thing for any of these guys will be longevity. One injury can cost a contest, season, or even a career. We have seen high talent in the recent past with Z, Shaw, Pudz, Hall, Poundstone, and so many guys like Burke and Lalas who were on fire for a year or two and left the sport. Still no money in it and still extremely risky for health.

I think its Shaw but its razor thin over Z.....I do think that Thor will pass them both eventually

Big Z for static strength

Thor for potential as a well rounded dominant strongman

Lawrence Shahleih for dynamic strength and missed potential.

Anyone who loves Magnus should watch this clip of him recently doing a static hold against Bill. The guys strength is still great. A true warrior.

I don't think so skooter.

Hall won ONCE, and he practically murdered himself trying to get it. You could have popped him with a needle he was so inflated to the point of being a major death in strongman. He and his wife even stated it. Hall was just not built for it, but props to him for putting himself and his family through it to get that one title. I'm glad he retired, I truly think he would have died either in the gym or in the tourney for everyone to witness.

He also never won a single Arnold Strongman title.

His only amazing feat was deadlifting 1102 lbs...Strapped and suited. He is lucky Thor didn't go directly into his 1105 attempt right off the bat, or else he would have lost THAT record.

Big Z for static strength

Thor for potential as a well rounded dominant strongman

Lawrence Shahleih for dynamic strength and missed potential.
i will remember savickas for two things: log lift and apollons axle.
he absolutely dominated this for years and his records still stand strong.

I don't think so skooter.

Hall won ONCE, and he practically murdered himself trying to get it. You could have popped him with a needle he was so inflated to the point of being a major death in strongman. He and his wife even stated it. Hall was just not built for it, but props to him for putting himself and his family through it to get that one title. I'm glad he retired, I truly think he would have died either in the gym or in the tourney for everyone to witness.

He also never won a single Arnold Strongman title.

His only amazing feat was deadlifting 1102 lbs...Strapped and suited. He is lucky Thor didn't go directly into his 1105 attempt right off the bat, or else he would have lost THAT record.

Yeah I think people get caught up in hype. Eddie's story is a fun one that was lucky enough to be promoted. He's a great athlete, there's no question, however he's a showman and caught the attention of the world at just the right time.

Anyone who loves Magnus should watch this clip of him recently doing a static hold against Bill. The guys strength is still great. A true warrior.

damn i wasn't prepared for that ponytail

I agree Big Z has the all time title at the moment, Shaw second, then everyone else.

Big Zs pressing abilities are insane especially the log press he's so much better at that than anyone else it's really impressive.

Not big into WSM, but Pudz is a 5x winner, did so at 275lbs, and quit while in his prime to pursue mma. If that doesn't at least put him in the GOAT convo, I don't know what would.

Back