Who do you consider to be the Greatest Strongman of All Time?

LiveFreeorDie

Gun Belt
@Black
Reaction score
For me, Its Zydrunis Savickas.

8x Arnold Strongman winner, 2x 2nd place, 2x 3rd - Arnold Strongman is the heaviest strongman event.

4x WSM winner, 6x 2nd place!
2x IFSA World Strongman Champ(This event was a split from WSM, and had more top strongman at the time- equal event to WSM)

2x Masters Strongman World Champion

2nd Place in IPF World Powerlifting Championships - no easy feat, 10x Lithuanian Powerlifting Champ

There are some greats out there, Brian Shaw has to be mentioned of course, but I do not feel anyone comes to what Zydrunis has done.

What say you Sherdog?

Overall, it’s Z for me too.

I was watching the History channel special where they replicate feats of legendary strength from the past with Eddie Hall, Brian Shaw, Robert Oberst, and Nick Best. Eddie always refers to Brian as the "strongest man that ever lived". I understand they are friends, but give credit where credit is due. I do love and respect Brian though, a great strongman.

Is it not Pudzianowski? I've only been a casual fan of strongman events over the years but he just looked like a damn comic book villain. And he does have the all-time WSM record at 5 wins.

over-all: big z

for the spirit: jon pall sigmarsson

most underrated: gerrit badenhorst

Overall, it’s Z for me too.

Anyone have insight on how important Magnusson really was? I feel like he was the guy in the late 80's early 90's when WSM was on late night TV. I was always so fascinated by him...

Since the sport is young...When it comes to level of attention. WSM/Giants Live/Arnold's are all relatively young.

Big Z right now is like the Rocky Marciano of the sport.

Pudz is also a very honorable mention seeing as he has 5x won. Also being relatively small in stature compared to his compatriots who most weighed near or well above 400lbs. His frame wasn't nearly as large as Z or Shaw. You could tell by the size of his hands and the trouble he had with large gripping events.

You've got some amazing guys right now and upcoming who might surpass these guys.

Thor just keeps getting stronger and more athletic as time goes by. He is also still young in age. He has the same level of strength as guys like Z and Shaw...But the speed of some of the lower weighted competitors. Watching him and Martins Licis doing a loading race just shows how insane his athleticism is for a 440lbs man. Guys that size aren't supposed to be able to move like that. Not to mention placing third at WSM even with fucking up his foot on day 1.

Martins Licis, Mateusz, the bigger Stoltman brother, Novikov. All great strongmen and they are young.

It's an exciting time to be a fan to say the least.

Last edited:
Big Z followed by Shaw.

Shaw's time has come and gone and I'd like to see him retire soon. Hes a great guy but hes got kids and stuff now and he just keeps placing worse and worse. I dont think his head is in it. Hes got other priorities.

As a casual fan, I second the guys asking about Magnusson and Pudz. Hit me with some strongman knowledge.

How good does Oberst have the potential to be? He's not super young, but still relatively new to the professional scene?

Big Z followed by Shaw.

Shaw's time has come and gone and I'd like to see him retire soon. Hes a great guy but hes got kids and stuff now and he just keeps placing worse and worse. I dont think his head is in it. Hes got other priorities.

Shaw, like Big Z, was great when competition wasn't as fearce or athletic. The guys coming up now might not be as strong with static strength events...But they completely fool him when any kind of speed or agility is involved. Stoltman made Shaw look like molasses in the stone race.

Shaw never evolved, he is just the same guy but older. You look at him from a pure strength and technical pov...and He is still strong as ever. The guys coming up are FUCKING SERIOUS about not just being strong, but about mobility and speed and diet.

Even Thor has evolved to become a very quick giant...Or else he would fall by the wayside like Shaw is.

Shaw, like Big Z, was great when competition wasn't as fearce or athletic. The guys coming up now might not be as strong with static strength events...But they completely fool him when any kind of speed or agility is involved. Stoltman made Shaw look like molasses in the stone race.

Shaw never evolved, he is just the same guy but older. You look at him from a pure strength and technical pov...and He is still strong as ever. The guys coming up are FUCKING SERIOUS about not just being strong, but about mobility and speed and diet.

Even Thor has evolved to become a very quick giant...Or else he would fall by the wayside like Shaw is.
Very good point. I guess its probably easier for me to say, yeah shaw doesnt have his head in it rather than looking at the top 5 guys right now and realizing how beastly and well rounded they are.

Very good point. I guess its probably easier for me to say, yeah shaw doesnt have his head in it rather than looking at the top 5 guys right now and realizing how beastly and well rounded they are.

Mateusz and Martins are something else. Mateusz on awkward stones is insane to me. It's like watching an idiot savant p a rubix cube in under 2 minutes while everyone else is at it for 2 weeks.

Martins may act like a joke and he may even think he is a joke...But that man is strong as hell. His grip strength alone is god tier. Training with Odd I guess you pick up a few things. He also is very visceral in his technique...Where most guys will perform the lift on strength alone...He does is with an almost zen-like flow.

As a casual fan, I second the guys asking about Magnusson and Pudz. Hit me with some strongman knowledge.

How good does Oberst have the potential to be? He's not super young, but still relatively new to the professional scene?

Oberst is pretty old, and he was never the quickest or most mobile of the gang. He has good pressing strength but much of his other lifts fall back.

Oberst is pretty old, and he was never the quickest or most mobile of the gang. He has good pressing strength but much of his other lifts fall back.
Gotcha

I find it a little odd that you said Thor is young at 30 but Oberst is pretty old at 34. Seems like a narrow range between "young" and "pretty old". Is 32 peak age?

Gotcha

I find it a little odd that you said Thor is young at 30 but Oberst is pretty old at 34. Seems like a narrow range between "young" and "pretty old". Is 32 peak age?

I'm going by how they both look, injuries, and how their performances have changed.

Where Thor is getting better and looks fresher...Oberst just stagnates more and more.

Caron is next

Caron is strong, but I don't see him getting much further than what he placed this year. If he even podiums at third it would be more than I expect from him.

He is already showing signs of wear while there are some studs coming up fast after him.

I'm Canadian, but I don't see him going further. Nationalism aside, he doesn't have what it takes to get there...Unless by some miracle every top guy suffers a serious injury during the event.

Last edited:
Caron is strong, but I don't see him getting much further than what he placed this year. If he even podiums at third it would be more than I expect from him.

He is already showing signs of wear while there are some studs coming up fast after him.

I'm Canadian, but I don't see him going further. Nationalism aside, he doesn't have what it takes to get there...Unless by some miracle every top guy suffers a serious injury during the event.
I know.:( I was just being patriotic...

Back