Who are you favourite and least favourite refs?

Zuben**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Feel free to explain your answer.

I like Herb Dean, becomes he seems fair, tends to catch what he's supposed to, is very knowledgable about the sport having competed professionally in it, and generally seems to be a decent guy.

Not a huge fan of Josh Rosenthal, because I feel like he often lets fighters take waaaay too much damage, although some credit has to go to him in the case of Lesnar vs. Carwin and (if I remember correctly) Hendo vs. Shogun, for not ending those fights. I kind of just don't like his face, so I might be biased.

Herb is my ninja.
Yamasaki and Yves are cool too.
Rosenthal's awesome.

The only refs that i really get apprehensive about are Mirgz and Winslow.

Big John's a little overrated, as ridiculous as i feel calling a ref overrated lol
He's still awesome though.

Forget his name, the guy who says "lets hook em up" is annoying as hell.

I like Big John and Herb Dean.

Herb is my ninja.
Yamasaki and Yves are cool too.
Rosenthal's awesome.

The only refs that i really get apprehensive about are Mirgz and Winslow.

Big John's a little overrated, as ridiculous as i feel calling a ref overrated lol
He's still awesome though.

Maz? Cecil?

Otherwise I mostly agree, I think Winslow's mistakes get pointed out at a much higher clip than other refs, but she's still not great. Maz is far worse and Mirg (while I sometimes like that he lets people really get finished before calling it) will get someone fucked up some day.

I like Yves, as he seems like he's trying his best to continually improve and learn from his mistakes. Big John seems like a caricature of someone who would be involved in MMA but I like him as well.

Cecil-Peoples_referee.gif

Winslow is hands down the worst ref out there, and Dean, Lavigne, Rosenthal are pretty good. There a quite a few good refs I've worked with in Bellator as well that need a little respect: Jason Herzog, Jordan Bass come to mind

Marc Goddard is a boss as well, i always forget about that dude, but i feel safer when it's announced he's the ref.

Great composure, makes quick decisions. Badass.

I havent seen Kevin Mulhall in a while

Winslow is hands down the worst ref out there, and Dean, Lavigne, Rosenthal are pretty good. There a quite a few good refs I've worked with in Bellator as well that need a little respect: Jason Herzog, Jordan Bass come to mind

In what capacity do you work with them?

I do love me some Herb. Can't stand Rosenthal. He's the worst. Will never forgive him for Lesnar vs Carwin... The extra damage in Weidman vs Munoz was ridiculous too.

I am a big Kim Winslow fan. She gets a lot of heat, but she does a great job I think. I also think most of the guys they use in International Events do a great job. I think most of them do pretty good considering all things. I think the refs get too much heat, their job is rough.

Herb Dean is the man. Josh Rosenthal is up there to

Winslow is the worst. Everytime she's in the cage I worry for a fighters safety

Will never forgive him for Lesnar vs Carwin.

Butthurt. Lesnar vs Carwin was ref'd perfectly. If you rewatch it in slowmo, or at least pay attention, you can see Lesnar was totally there, fighting back, and protecting himself the entire time.

Maz has gotten a lot better over the years, as has Big Dan.

Winslow on the other hand. Good God man.

Take a look at Winslow's weak ass two-hand approach here:

222222222222.gif

and compare it to Maz's selfless tackle:

hx3pfn.jpg

Maz has the mistake of being too far out of position but goddamn that's a good recovery.

Last edited:
Will never forgive him for Lesnar vs Carwin...

What do you mean? He should have stopped the fight when Lesnar was getting beaten on? No way. Lesnar wasn't out, and was still with it enough to win the fight, which is exactly what happened.

Mazaghatti (massacred spelling) is so ridiculously overly criticized in the MMA community. It's the sheep following the sheep.

Back